Record crowds this month?

Lee

Adventurer
(btw, the spelling first came to me by Imagineers in Glendale who used it in a bit of disparaging way in the 90s when fans started calling some of their crappy projects, well ... crap:eek: ...

I like WDI's current pet name for some of the more...um...passionate...fans: Foamers.

:lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I like WDI's current pet name for some of the more...um...passionate...fans: Foamers.

:lol:

Yep.

Foamers is the disparaging term du jour ... but even that's been around for years now.

Maybe we should come up with a new one and slip it back to our sources?:drevil:

~GFC~

The Mom

Premium Member
When I have seen the term fanboi or fanboy used around here, it is in a dismissive, insulting fashion so it will not be allowed by me. Other moderators might disagree, and if they do they can let me know, or restore my edits. Other websites might be fine with it, and people who want to use the term are more than welcome to go there. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When I have seen the term fanboi or fanboy used around here, it is in a dismissive, insulting fashion so it will not be allowed by me. Other moderators might disagree, and if they do they can let me know, or restore my edits. Other websites might be fine with it, and people who want to use the term are more than welcome to go there. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Where do you wish to draw the line? Fan comes from fanatics? Do you have a problem with that? (because some feeble-minded folks will be offended by anything or play the offended card so we get off-topic)

You can do whatever you wish and I'll try to not use the term, but I think it is akin to picking wings off flies. It's been used on this site and just about every other for as long as I can recall. It's not something coined by some evil Disney hating Spirit who thinks he's better than everyone else.:rolleyes:

~GFC~

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would disagree. I consider myself a Disney Fanboi (btw, the spelling first came to me by Imagineers in Glendale who used it in a bit of disparaging way in the 90s when fans started calling some of their crappy projects, well ... crap:eek: ... part of the spelling no doubt came from the prevalence of gay males working there who always used BOI NOT BOY). I certainly don't believe it is disparaging or I wouldn't call myself one. Not a self-hater here. Just a Disney hater!:rolleyes:

But the whole ignoring facts deal, that's maybe what some fanbois do, but certainly not all ... and, hopefully, not most. It's no different than fans of anything else from Apple products (that cult can be like Disney at times) to NBA fans (hey, where's all the games?:ROFLOL::drevil:) to reality TV shows to football fantasy leagues to Star Wars etc etc.

I'm a fan for Disney's parks. I am extremely passionate about the topic. But I always use facts and logic to describe why I think things are good, bad or in between.

Just because some fans don't, doesn't mean they all should be painted with the same brush. And contrary to some public opinion, simply stating someone is a fanboi isn't a disparaging comment or a slight ... now, perhaps mindless Pixie Dust smoking, Duffy clutching, Turkey-leg chomping fanboi would be a putdown!:D

~GFC~
I have always seen the term fanboy as a less than flattering term. Like you I love Disney and take an extreme interest in the place but I only consider myself as a fan or a worldphile if I feel like attaching a cute name to it. The difference being that I do not love and fawn over every single decision that the mouse makes. I might look for the positive is a situation, but I have no problem calling them on a bad move (ie the Yeti).

A fanboy is a mindless drone who would find no fault in anything that Disney does and would regard every other theme park as inferior.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
On the subject of crowds and attendance, something I have noticed this year. No sell out yet for the 31st Halloween party. That night usually sells out a month or so ahead, and we are just a few days out and no sell out.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
On the subject of crowds and attendance, something I have noticed this year. No sell out yet for the 31st Halloween party. That night usually sells out a month or so ahead, and we are just a few days out and no sell out.

Possibly because it's on a Monday?:shrug:

Bigart

Getting back to the crowd topic...there are some theories as to what happened this month from CM's and local experts. First there was what is known in northeastern states as "Fall Break" from school, so they gather the kids and get in the cars and flock to WDW. Secondly there was a major PGA Golf Tournament that drew in lots of folks. Locals that aren't working come and hang out with friends. Legoland opened and brought people to town. There was good weather forecast for the month. People flocked to food and wine fest in record numbers this year. It was a convergence of many factors. That being said I experienced both crowded and not crowded days: Oct 15 at MK was swamped by mid day, and the mass throng stayed until closing. However Oct 16 at MK was very quiet up until about 4 pm when people started coming in droves to the Halloween party. I walked on rides all day with little or no waits. Main Street in the AM was practically empty. Resorts were not at capacity. Half of the WL parking lot was empty, and there were rooms open at Contemp and GF. Anyway my 2 cents at that of a few others..

mwlillie

Crowds 15 - 22 October 2011

Went to all the parks 2 to 3 times during this period, also went to DD and Blizzard.

I have never seen crowds, even during the week as large as they were. I would estimate at least twice as many people in the parks as I have ever seen (I have been going to the parks in the middle of October almost every year since 1995).

If I return to the parks, I will re-think when we go, and probably do the 1st or 2nd week of December.

beez

Also went Oct 15th-22nd

It was busy. I've been a few times when it was dead and could walk on anything, This past week it was an hour wait for SPM, and TT, hour and half for Soarin which I kind of expect. The line for Fantasmic went from the TOT to the entrance to the park at one point. The wait for Norway was about 45 min and walking around the countries was shoulder to shoulder which is kind of crazy. Is there no slow time for disney anymore?

Dad 2 M & M

I think it has to do with all of the special events and conventions that have been brought in this year during October. There are quite a few more taking place then in previous years.
The economy is getting a little better, corporate america is finally spending a few bucks....probably short lived.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have always seen the term fanboy as a less than flattering term. Like you I love Disney and take an extreme interest in the place but I only consider myself as a fan or a worldphile if I feel like attaching a cute name to it. The difference being that I do not love and fawn over every single decision that the mouse makes. I might look for the positive is a situation, but I have no problem calling them on a bad move (ie the Yeti).

A fanboy is a mindless drone who would find no fault in anything that Disney does and would regard every other theme park as inferior.

I am a fanboi and am no mindless drone (my fans here aside nonwithstanding!:wave:) ... but are we REALLY talking about this? I mean ... are we?

How about talking about the sixth gate!:snore:

~GFC~

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmagic

Possibly because it's on a Monday?:shrug:

I am sure that is it. The holiday will have largely been played out this weekend ... sadly nothing seems to ever be celebrated at the right time.

I think that's why Disney is also having a party on Tuesday night (to add to the coffers since Halloween is falling on a Monday this year).

OTOH, it probably would be a great year to actually go on 10/31!

~GFC~

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am a fanboi and am no mindless drone (my fans here aside nonwithstanding!:wave:) ... but are we REALLY talking about this? I mean ... are we?

How about talking about the sixth gate!:snore:

~GFC~
It would appear so. Could be worse. We could be engaged in a heated debate over the hairstyles of Justin Bieber.

scpergj

That is very interesting. Funny part is that we were at the parks last weekend (20th-23rd), and I've NEVER seen the Magic Kingdom as crowded and impossible to walk in as after Wishes on Saturday the 22nd, nor as packed as EPCOT was that same afternoon...

RSoxNo1

Great, now we need to change the name of our podcast.

Susannah

Actually, this thread is practically a commercial for using the crowd calendars. For example, it sounds like touringplans accurately predicted a ridiculously large crowd for Epcot on Sat Oct 8, and very high crowds for Saturdays all month. A user of the crowd calendars could easily have chosen to visit parks on "1-5" days, of which there are plenty in October, as opposed to "8-10" days, which it appears, were accurately predicted.

I just got home from a five day trip, and I was actually surprised at how wrong the touringplans crowd predictions were.

To needlessly reiterate everything everyone has been posting, we go to WDW the same week every year, and this is by far the most crowded it's ever been. It was a far cry better than, say, the first week of December 2010 (which was ironically predicted to be one of the best weeks to visit) when we could barely move, but it was nothing like the years when we had practically zero wait time for most attractions. Our Halloween party was also very crowded.

It was still a great trip. Not complaining, just shouting an "A-men!" from the back pew. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom