Rebecca Campbell Out As President of Disneyland - Heading to DTCI

Darkbeer1

If Kevin Mayer didn't leave to be CEO of Tik Tok, I believe none of these executives would have gotten shuffled or promoted.

I disagree, Kevin leaving forced the timing, but someone had to take over as head of Disney Parks, as the new CEO Bob couldn't keep doing both jobs. New Bob wanted more time, stalling to figure out the puzzle.

So if Kevin stayed, some of the changes might have not happen, but some changes would have happened by the end of the year.

choco choco

He better be able to answer some tough questions and share his vision of the DLR in the next few years, and how it will help the city and the resort area move forward.

I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have any substantial vision at all. The going trend is these guys are hired from somewhere outside Disneyland (and increasingly, outside the theme parks; honestly, how hard is it to hire internally?) and are mostly only using it as a stepping stone to something "greater" (whatever that even means in the Disney empire). They're just looking to be there 18-24 months, in which time they manage to learn just the basics ("Oh, Disneyland and California Adventure are two different parks!") enough to pay their dues and move on to whatever their buddy on high promised them four years ago.

I wouldn't bank on them having any sort of operational wisdom or vision or ideas during during their tenure. I'm not sure i would believe them even if they could spit out something coherent.

TP2000

I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have any substantial vision at all...

I'm not sure i would believe them even if they could spit out something coherent.

Perfect summation.

What still amazes me is the way so many CM's, and even a lot of fans, believe the fake and phony Instagram posts and carefully worded statements these types of Disney execs belch up once they sent down to Anaheim for a year or so.

It's all so blatantly a product of a clumsy Corporate Communications team and its associated cubicle farm. Almost none of it looks genuine or has the ring of truth about it. And yet enough people buy into it that they keep pumping it out, executive after executive.

It's been three (3) weeks. It's interesting that Mr. Potrock still hasn't made a public statement, or done a staged interview with the OC Register, etc. I realize almost all of Disneyland's 30,000 CM's are still furloughed, but still...

You'd think Mr. Potrock would have said something by now. 🧐

Last edited:

TP2000

I think that's one of the reasons people like that Josh guy. He's bounced around but remained attached to the theme parks, as though he is actually interested in them and not using it as a foot in the door to move on to something else.

Here is what Disney said publicly on May 18th when they announced Mr. Potrock was taking over Disneyland from Ms. Campbell...

"Ken Potrock enables a holistic entrepreneurial culture that ensures the unparalleled ‘Disney Difference’ is delivered each day to Guests, consumers and fans.”

He enables a holistic entrepreneurial culture. And that's exactly what makes me want to visit theme parks! :rolleyes:

I would love it if Mr. Potrock enabled the churro carts around the Central Plaza to get into a price war. The Frontierland cart cuts its prices, so the Castle cart has a two-for-one sale, then the Plaza Inn starts selling churros for only 50 cents as a loss leader to get people in the door for the fried chicken, etc.

That would be great holistic entrepreneurship! Go for it Potrock!

Last edited:

truecoat

You're probably right.

But at the very least we have her expertly photographed and carefully curated Instagram account, with gauzy pictures and filtered light to subtly minimize her spray-on slacks, to remind us of her six amaaazing months in Anaheim.

It was like Camelot, only shorter. :cool:

I don't know what she's looking at but it isn't the "amazing Cast Members and wonderful guests."

Dland.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My wife saw PC load ltr on her printer at work after we saw the movie and almost said the whole line out loud.
Yes, everyone said it after the movie came out, but did she know what it meant and how to resolve it?

Why it’s unbelievable in the movie is that its very unlikely a bunch of programmers wouldn’t know what it meant and how to resolve a message on a printer. RTFM

truecoat

Yes, everyone said it after the movie came out, but did she know what it meant and how to resolve it?

Why it’s unbelievable in the movie is that its very unlikely a bunch of programmers wouldn’t know what it meant and how to resolve a message on a printer. RTFM

I didn't know what it meant either so I was surprised when I found out how simple it was.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I didn't know what it meant either so I was surprised when I found out how simple it was.
Yep, real simple. That is why its unbelievable that a programmer wouldn't know how to resolve it. However the joke is part the larger lampooning of office life.

Which begs the question. Why couldn't it have said "Out of Paper"?
The "error" is meant to tell you "where", "how", and "what type". Older printers couldn't do that due to limited space on the read out. Simply saying "out of paper", wouldn't tell you where it was out of paper or of which type. PC is for Paper Cassette which is the paper tray you insert into the body of the printer, Load is telling you what to do, and Letter is telling you which size paper to use. So load some letter size paper into the paper cassette and the issue would have been resolved. But no the movie made it out like the printer was faulty. A poor worker always blames their tools.

truecoat

Yep, real simple. That is why its unbelievable that a programmer wouldn't know how to resolve it. However the joke is part the larger lampooning of office life.

The "error" is meant to tell you "where", "how", and "what type". Older printers couldn't do that due to limited space on the read out. Simply saying "out of paper", wouldn't tell you where it was out of paper or of which type. PC is for Paper Cassette which is the paper tray you insert into the body of the printer, Load is telling you what to do, and Letter is telling you which size paper to use. So load some letter size paper into the paper cassette and the issue would have been resolved. But no the movie made it out like the printer was faulty. A poor worker always blames their tools.

Engineering at it's best.

No Name

One problem with executives moving too quickly, especially in themed entertainment, is that the financial impact of their decisions is more immediate than the benefits or drawbacks from them. That can be especially problematic if your boss doesn’t have a careful eye.

One upside is that hopefully you can have younger people leading the company, instead of old men who are out of touch and simultaneously so afraid of being out of touch that they make weird decisions like buying Maker Studios for over $500 million and then firing the top creator.

TP2000

I don't know what she's looking at but it isn't the "amazing Cast Members and wonderful guests."

View attachment 475180

This is such a valid point, and it got me to thinking "What was she actually looking at?"

Here is the view from that window in Walt's apartment, and based on her position and angle of her gaze, once she recablibrated her eyes to not look at the bottom of the window shade, she would be looking at something within the red box shown below. Maybe it was some nesting birds?

Inked20080323 View from Walt's Apartment_LI.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom