Really wet MK 8/18 with power outages

monorail81

Was stuck on Monorail Gold during the rainstorm yesterday, man was it coming down. We finally got to the TTC and were asked by the Monorail pilot to stay on board. Two seconds later the power died on the Monorail and the security by then had arrived to get everyone safely off the monorail and under better cover. It really rained good yesterday, got totally soaked.

Sounds more like Security was looking for someone at the same time...

luv

They do the squeegee thing all the time. The parks (and lots) having areas of ankle deep water isn't uncommon.

I've often thought I'd enjoy the job of squeegeeing. :)

I have a hurricane charley video somewhere on YouTube....
I saw that video and liked it...especially the duck, lol. The duck is my favorite part.

If I ever have to go through a hurricane, I'm checking in to WDW or Uni. Probably Uni. Might as well hurricane in style. ;)

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Great video by the way @PhotoDave219

I was living at Vista Way (Disney College Program housing) which is right off of 535 and I-4 so not too far from All Star Sports. It was my 1st hurricane and it was interesting for sure. I wish I could have been part of the ride-out crew but I was working at Downtown Disney. That's the hurricane that ripped the awning off of Cirque Du Soleil - I still have a chunk of the "hurricane proof" awning in my keepsake box!

I got caught out in the 1st rain band around 5pm getting supplies. I'm from the mid-west so I'm used to lightning & thunder. NOT used to nothing but rain and wind...all coming from the same direction...never ending rain and wind!

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
what I've always pondered is... why does MK have such a problem with pooling water? The entire place is elevated, so why don't they have sufficent drains around the walkways and larger areas to drain the water away? Heck, put some covered drains you can open/expand during heavy rains.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
what I've always pondered is... why does MK have such a problem with pooling water? The entire place is elevated, so why don't they have sufficent drains around the walkways and larger areas to drain the water away? Heck, put some covered drains you can open/expand during heavy rains.

I don't know the official answer - I'm assuming it has something to do with NOT wanting to flood the utilidors.

openendedsky

Not sure if this was said, but EPCOT also had power outages that night and was still recovering from some lingering effects the next morning.

maxairmike

The drain system at the MK seems to have issues more related to drain placement/design than being inadequate. Most all of the open areas are drained by grate openings at artificial low points in the pavement with no barrier/solution to any kind of debris blocking the flow of water. I've noticed many times during heavy rains at the MK that debris (mostly natural debris, but some guest litter as well) will pile up around and over top of the grates very quickly, usually creating an almost complete block of water flow. It also seems that Tomorrowland in particular suffers from some pavement replacement that may not have been properly graded to the rest of the areas, as it tends to be the worst.

prberk

The drain system at the MK seems to have issues more related to drain placement/design than being inadequate. Most all of the open areas are drained by grate openings at artificial low points in the pavement with no barrier/solution to any kind of debris blocking the flow of water. I've noticed many times during heavy rains at the MK that debris (mostly natural debris, but some guest litter as well) will pile up around and over top of the grates very quickly, usually creating an almost complete block of water flow. It also seems that Tomorrowland in particular suffers from some pavement replacement that may not have been properly graded to the rest of the areas, as it tends to be the worst.

I noticed this in September of last year. This is actually something that management can help, first by alerting street sweepers to the importance of removing debris from storm drains, and second by planning for it during the next repavement.

luv

First thing to get power is the cash registers. Watch those almost never go off no matter what happens.

BTW I'm not kidding when I worked in a hotel emergency lights and the cash registers were run off the generators.
Well, they have to take the money in! ;) I don't think I've been in a park when there was an outage.

I've had clerks in stores who could get into the register refuse to sell me things. They can't add tax and make change without the register giving them the amounts. I even tried to walk one through it once. It was like, "Multiply by what? Then adding?! Mercy, no! I cannot do that and I cannot trust you because you are trying to confuse me with all this talk of advanced mathematics!" (Not an actual quote, but may as well have been, lol.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom