Really, REALLY bad decisions...

princessmommy

Eliminating the large majority special ride and park merchandise, and making it all generic everywhere.

Not making enough Princess merchandise for adults.

I am with you on the princess thing! The only things that we get are tink and minnie, I do love both of them, but can I just get one cinderella shirt in my size??

beachclubbasics

MY OPINIONS (I'm stating this up front, lest anyone think I'm posting facts):

11. Allowing Wonders of Life to die, then turning it into a convention space.

I agree..how many convention spaces does WDW need? If so many companies have the money to hold conventions at WDW they certainly shouldn't be raising prices and driving up inflation as much as has been happening recently.

beachclubbasics

I am with you on the princess thing! The only things that we get are tink and minnie, I do love both of them, but can I just get one cinderella shirt in my size??

I agree, but here's a question....whose decision is it as to who is a princess? They always include Belle, who is only a princess by marriage (and did she and beast ever actually GET married?) and Jasmine (debatable as to whether she is a princess..I know, it's probably only a question of semantics), but they leave out Ariel...who was born a princess! Cinderella is also only a princess by marriage, not birth. Also adding Pocahontas and Mulan to princess merchandise makes no sense..neither are princesses (there are no Native American princesses, it's just the way our societies have been set up and Mulan married a general...no princess there).

goofyfan13

The fact that everyone on this board overlooked this homophobic comment is suprising to me since normally people pick apart everything people post.

No one has tried to debate the issue because it leads to threads going down in flames. And since when does not agreeing with something make you a phobic? :rolleyes:

Back on topic though, does anyone know why they closed the AP lounges? I've always wondered that.

Mr_Tom_Morrow

Demise of Horizons and World Of Motion
The Wand goin staying around for as long as it did
The ruinin-AHEM refurbishment of JIYI
Too much Pixar
The lack of updates in World Showcase
Not reopening The Oddyssey restaurant

JeffC

Re-vamping Pleasure Island - tearing down the stage, getting rid of the Jazz Club, getting rid of the Country/Western Bar (can't think of the name - brainfart...) and taking away alot of the outdoor intertainment.

Thiger

some things they should'nt've changed

-20,000 leagues (non-nemo'd)
-If you Had Wings (some say its silly, but to me, it was 100x better than small world and half as easy to erase the song from my brain)
-Horizons was excellent (wish they had re-built it around mission space)
-Really liked the specialized merch at each park. Why buy something at the park that I can get at my local Disney store?
-Stitch is just horrible. It may have been better if they had made the room kinda like a giant motion simulator that shook and spun a bit, but for the most part: awful.

but those aside, I'm really happy with the parks. Best vacations of my life going there from when i was 4 to now!

Enderikari

Still waiting for one reputable point that you can make but have yet to hear one. But alas, I'm loving the hilarity.

Here's a few reputable points, based on fact, and decidely are not opinions...

By closest estimates, a little over 16 million people visited Walt Disney World last year. You are 1.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh consistently maintains an attraction queue of over 30 minutes, even during some of the slowest seasons.

Test Track is by far one of the most popular attractions at Epcot, consistently maintaining an attraction wait queue of over 60 minutes.

Mission: Space is proof that WDW is willing to put a lot of money into a project to try something new. True, it does not maintain a larger queue, but I am of the opinion that it is because of its higher capacity and undeserved bad press concerning two accidents.

I do not have to take a poll of the guests, though I did get varied responses whenever the topic was breached (back in the day). Disney takes its own polls... The survey/research teams sole job is to judge popular opinion, and that is the way WDW can tell if a decision was a bad one or not. Its a process overseen by many people, and is a whole lot more scientific than "oh, a bunch of people on a Disney board online said this."

Your biggest failure in starting the thread is by not defining what a BAD DECISION really is... What defines a bad decision? Just about everything you mentioned, since its removal, has been more popular than ever before. You need to clarify what a "bad decision" is in your eyes. As a stockholder, making Epcot a park with more varied attraction experiences, and keeping Magic Kingdom appealing for a new generation are good decisions to me. As a parent, making sure that when I take my daughter on the Living Seas, she engaged enough to learn about the seas around her is a good decision to me. If I were a DVC member, giving me more value for the investment by making a resort I can enjoy is a good decision to me.

Walt Disney World is appealing to the 16 million people who are visiting that don't want a museum. I don't speak for everyone on this forum.. To the contrary, I speak for everyone who IS NOT on this forum. For the families who bring their children to enjoy a quick vacation before school starts. For the groups who have never visited before who have heard about all the great things that Disney has to offer. For the new parents who are excited to bring their child for the first time, and are wondering what their little girl can see and do.

The very essence of nostalgia drives us in this forum.
Really? I would be more apt to agree with your first point... Its our love of Disney that drives this forum... Nostalgia is great and all, but in the long run, as Edna says, "I never look back, darling, it distracts from the now." Live in the past all you want to, I choose to live in my Walt Disney World, right now. And I choose to be excited for the future of my favorite vacation resort.

Enderikari

Re-vamping Pleasure Island - tearing down the stage, getting rid of the Jazz Club, getting rid of the Country/Western Bar (can't think of the name - brainfart...) and taking away alot of the outdoor intertainment.

Agreed, though Fuego is pretty awesome (new cigar bar).

The name was the Neon Armadillo

Enderikari

-20,000 leagues (non-nemo'd)
-If you Had Wings (some say its silly, but to me, it was 100x better than small world and half as easy to erase the song from my brain)
-Horizons was excellent (wish they had re-built it around mission space)
-Really liked the specialized merch at each park. Why buy something at the park that I can get at my local Disney store?
-Stitch is just horrible. It may have been better if they had made the room kinda like a giant motion simulator that shook and spun a bit, but for the most part: awful.

but those aside, I'm really happy with the parks. Best vacations of my life going there from when i was 4 to now!

Hey there! Welcome to the boards! I do agree that I wish merchandise was back to when I could buy cowboy stuff in Frontierland and such... But I was excited to step into the Yankee Trader the other day and find that classic jams and jellies were being sold

JeffC

"Agreed, though Fuego is pretty awesome (new cigar bar)."

I'll be there in October and can't wait to go. I remember going to the Jazz Club and lighting one up as I listened to some great music. After the Jazz Club closed, I usually bought my 'gars at Sosa's and smoked it as I walked to PI.
Now I can actually smoke in a bar again.:sohappy:

Enderikari

Word of caution, Fuego is tiny (for a bar) but the staff more than makes up for it. And since its kind of hidden, it never gets too crowded

Now Is The Time

Original Poster
Here's a few reputable points, based on fact, and decidely are not opinions...

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh consistently maintains an attraction queue of over 30 minutes, even during some of the slowest seasons.

And your point is? I never even discussed Winnie The Pooh. I happen to like it.

Test Track is by far one of the most popular attractions at Epcot, consistently maintaining an attraction wait queue of over 60 minutes.

It's well known that GM has never been happy with this attraction. Keep in mind too that it's one of 2 thrill rides in all of Epcot so those who like the thrills will of course try it out.

Mission: Space is proof that WDW is willing to put a lot of money into a project to try something new. True, it does not maintain a larger queue, but I am of the opinion that it is because of its higher capacity and undeserved bad press concerning two accidents.

You're right, people dying on an attraction is certainly underserved bad press. Disney puts a ride in that spins people around violently and then are surprised when it opens that people are throwing up.

Your biggest failure in starting the thread is by not defining what a BAD DECISION really is... What defines a bad decision?

Are you even vaguely familiar with what an opinion is? I stated my opinion and then asked for others. You're talking about attendance and money figures. Dude, I stated my opinion. If you tell me (for example) that you think it was a mistake that Captain EO was removed but then I come back with the fact that Honey I Shrunk The Audience has maintained crowds all these years blah blah blah.. what difference does that make? It's your opinion.

Walt Disney World is appealing to the 16 million people who are visiting that don't want a museum. I don't speak for everyone on this forum.. To the contrary, I speak for everyone who IS NOT on this forum.

LOL. A diplomat for those not on the forum. Now that's funny.

jmvd20

In my opinion M:S, Horizons, WoM, and TT are all good attractions. My problem is that they should all be able to exist at the same time. Letting attractions decay just because there is no sponsor is not a good reason when you charge twice as much as any other theme/amusement park.

Of course WDW was willing to put some money into trying something new like M:S... it was just dependent upon Compaq/HP footing large portion of the bill.

jmvd20

It's well known that GM has never been happy with this attraction. Keep in mind too that it's one of 2 thrill rides in all of Epcot so those who like the thrills will of course try it out.

And what will happen when GM says they will not renew their sponsorship?

Instead of keeping TT since it is "one of the most popular rides at Epcot" they would demolish it and build something new...

WDW relying on corporate sponsors is sad, especially when they charge twice as much as any other amusement/theme park.

mickhyperion

I think one of the biggest mistakes the Disney Company has been making as a whole for many years now is continually aiming more and more of their offerings at children, especially at the parks. This is not what Walt Disney ever wanted to do. Disneyland in particular was created as a place that people other than children could enjoy. "For the whole family" should not read as "created for children." Mom and Dad and Aunt Bessie and Grandma and even Great Grandpa should have plenty of attractions and offerings aimed at them too. The parks used to be that way, but more and more it's about Character Meals, Character Meet & Greets, Character based attractions, merchandise just for kids, play areas just for toddlers. When was the last time they created an attraction that you actually needed more than a 1st grade education to grasp?

And I won't even bother talking about Disney's cable channels...

In a short time there will be more people over the age of 40 in this country than ever before. If Disney continues to focus it's offerings on children then the perception will be that the parks are just for kids. The kids will outgrow it and the only reason they'll want to go back is to take their own children. The parks need to bolster their offerings aimed at the mature audience so there will be something for the larger percentage of the population to want to come and see going into the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom