Really, REALLY bad decisions...

prberk

Eliminating the large majority special ride and park merchandise, and making it all generic everywhere.

Cannot agree more.

I will only buy an autograph book or generic WDW T-shirt once, no matter how many times I pass it. But unique, new merchandise might get one of my unique, new dollars...

Paul

tirian

As much as I like the monorails, I think I read once that they cost $1,000,000 a mile to build. To replace the buses with a monorail system would cost Disney billions of dollars and there would be no real payback.

These facts are correct...and I pointed that out, too. :p I wish that Disney would have created the monorail infrastructure way back when it was economically feasible. Now the costs are extremely prohibitive.

the-reason14

reason14 [I

and im mad they took it away as well!

I know, its stupid. ToT has got to be one of WDI greatest attractions with all the detail and such in it. I dont understand why they had to get rid of that. Ive only been riding it for about 3 years, but I think that was a special part of the ride, does anyone have a good explanation as to why they left?

Craig & Lisa

I think the one thing that is slightly missed here is the fact that some attractions, just aren't as poppular as they once were. For instance, COP, I"ve had a chance to ride it, many times, but you have to consider that if you like the ride and to you it seems that the ride has a fair amount of people on it at the time you are there, is it just as busy when you are not? For someone to say that it's still very busy, they would have to be the one counting the people that go on it all day every day. And I have read on here that COP has sometimes been seasonal, which means open when the parks are at the peak season. Just because something you like has been removed does not mean they're ruining it for everyone. Disney is striving to keep people coming back, and they have to keep updating, rehabing, and for some they may not, or not want to believe that is what they are doing. I miss some things in WDW since I've been going, but I keep an open mind, and keep reminding myself that I'm in Walt Disney World. :D

Iakona

You make a ride that simulates space travel, with huge amounts of force and exertion that the human body goes through.. if as a company you make the choice to build such an attraction, you can't expect to simply put warning signs out and then fold your arms and say "Well, that's that."

Please define "huge amounts." I have heard everything from 1.4 to 2.4 to 3 Gs. This is not the entire ride and is for short periods of time (a couple of seconds vs max of 15 secs for MS, but definately not as intense as most other rides) Some perspective:
Walking down the street; driving one direction at a constant speed; sitting in a chair: 1 g (source-Popular Mechanics)
Roller Coasters 2-4gs (source-Popular Mechanics)
Acceleration and the Human Bodya (g)event2.9sneeze3.5cough3.6crowd jostle4.1slap on back8.1hop off step10.1plop down in chair60chest acceleration limit during car crash at 48 km/h with airbag 70 - 100crash that killed Diana, Princess of Wales, 1997 150 - 200head acceleration limit during bicycle crash with helmet
Source: Spine, June 1994Or check out these stats:
http://www.local6.com/news/5423136/detail.html
using scientific equipment that measures G-forces, Local 6 News measured the powerful sensations rider's experience.

The report found that Disney's Space Mountain is still one of the more intense rides in the area -- showing more than 3.5 Gs.

The report found Disney's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to be the most tame steel roller coaster tested, registering at 2.5 Gs.

Disney's Rock-N-Roller Coaster was found to launch riders to near 4.5 Gs in the first six seconds.

Also:
In some cases, doctors say, the G-forces might not be the worst part of the ride. Instead, just the fear might be enough to give some people a heart attack.

Some evidence that the Gs on MS are grossly overstated by people that have limited knowledge:
The highest sustained force felt from forward acceleration was on Epcot's Mission: Space ride. It exerted force against the rider's chest of more than 1.5 G's for about 14 seconds. That's less than the space shuttle's 3 G's, and well within safety limits.
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS01/511270302/-1/news06

Unfortunately the individuals that died had PRE-EXISTING conditions. The little boy (very sad) likely had an unknown condition. Therefore he could have had the same results riding teacups, during take-off on a plane or walking.
It could also be that Gs had nothing to do with the event and that the event would have taken place in that moment in time regaardless of the activity of the person.

I think MS is a cool ride but you can't deny the fact that it is the most exclusionary ride in all of Disney.

I can deny it. The warnings are just as applocable to RNC, Space Mountain and othe roller coasters.

I agree with jmvd20's point that all of these attractions (Horizons, WOM, Test Track, MS) should all exist together. In this case you had a former attraction, Horizons, that literally everyone in the world could ride... which was knocked down and replaced by an attraction that only certain people could enjoy.

I doubt that space is the issue. Keeping all of those ride and adding additional would require operational costs. I have a feeling (no proof) that operational costs such as staff, upkeep of the building and ride system and other factors are much more significant than space.

Sure, for most people who would consider themselves at least partially educated. Don't forget you have many foreigners that come to WDW, as well as.. dare I say.. people who aren't that bright and may not go out of their way to read signs. Case in point - my sister witnessed a woman screaming at a CM in the parking lot at Disney Studios (after she had parked her car) because... she thought she was at the Magic Kingdom. Apparently the huge "Disney Studios" sign that she drove underneath was no indication for her, let alone the other road signs leading up to the park saying "Disney Studios next right."

Lack of education does not eliminate your personal responsibility. Disney can only be expected to provide reasonable warnings ( and I believe they do as much as possible); no company can be expected to warn you, "by the way if you have an unknown pre-existing medical condition this ride could be fatal." Warning against what is unknown is illogical.

DisneyNut2007

The point I am trying to make, is that from these boards and others (Micechat is the absolute worst), I can see another form of Kool-Aid being passed around. They like to call themselves "Disney Purists" but I can vouch for the fact that they have no love for Walt Disney World. They hate everything about it, and love to spread around their opinions as fact. They delight in the demagoguery of watching easily led people accept every bit of bile spewn forth from their heads.

I agree.

I would also like to add that Laughingplace.com is just as horrendous as Micechat.

Iakona

One decision I think is bad (not devastating, not a huge impact) was the elimination of the Sword in The Stone Ceremony. This was one of those hidden jewels that really enhanced the magic of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom