Reader’s Corner

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I LOVE actual paper books but like I said...cheapskate LOL
I'm not sure how to word this without sounding weird but oh well...here it is....I love the smell of bookstores. 🤷‍♀️
There aren't many left around anymore. (There is a very small independent one not too far away, but it's very limited, due to space. They will order any books you need.) I try to buy a few things from them before Christmas each year, to help support the shop.

Tiki Traveler

Looks like a fun thread! I prefer physical books because I’m working on a computer all day. I have quite a lot of books to read as I usually support many of the used book sales in my area. Having books available came in handy during Covid when the libraries shut down and I became a mini lending library to close friends and family. Once read I usually donate the book back to various entities.

I also use the List feature on my public library account to keep track of additional books I want to read.

Reading Read GIF

Coming soon - Books I’m currently reading.

Tiki Traveler

Hi! I’m reading Dinosaurs in the Attic by Douglas Preston. It’s a non-fiction account of The American Museum of Natural History in NYC. Think the former Adventurers’ Club at Disney’s Pleasure Island or Jungle Cruise.

Years ago I was at an airport without reading material (how did that ever happen??) and found The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs (they write both together and apart) and have been reading their various series about museums, history, and thrills on and off ever since. These books (and a few Stephen Kings) are about as far as I get into scary books and there are a few I have even skipped.

Douglas Preston started his career at the Museum of Natural History which is why he is able to incorporate it (and NYC history) into his books so well. I’m a museum geek so I’ve been meaning to check this out of the library for a while. It’s enjoyable.

Lastly, Relic was made into a movie in 1997. As like so many others the movie did not do the book justice.

Happy to learn what others are reading!

IMG_1324.jpeg

Last edited:

Songbird76

I have a kindle now, too. I LOVE the smell of paper books and it's been hard to give up on the paper, but bottom line, we have no more space in our house, and I read a lot of series, which take up more space and cost more, so the kindle helps with that. And for book group, it's nice to be able to get them fast. We just read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and I looked for it at every bookstore I came across and never found it. Then we came back from vacation and I didn't realize book group was so soon, so I had 2.5 days to read it. I ordered it on kindle and binged it. It was good....not something I would have picked out myself, but I enjoyed it. Our next selection is Small Gods by Terry Pratchett? I think that's what it's called.

I've also been beta reading my friend's 3rd book, Death in the Holidays by Kitty Murphy. It's not out yet, but it's available for preorder. Death in Heels and Death in the Dark are already out and this one comes out in November. It's a series about a drag club in Dublin and people keep getting murdered there and they have to figure out who the murderer is in each book. It's fun, if you like murder mysteries.

So that's what I've been reading.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_7231.jpeg

Got in a new book today! It’s the follow-up to “Small Town, Big Magic,” which I read last fall. The first book is about a young woman who finds out that she’s a witch who’s had her memories altered, and she and her friends have to work together to defeat a curse that’s been placed on the town. The follow-up is about her sister. I’ll probably wait until closer to Halloween before reading this one, since it’s a witchy/spooky book.

StarWarsGirl

I haven't I'll have to look those up.
I think the first book is only 800 something pages...the fifth book is like 1500 pages. I read them during covid and was obsessed for a while. 🤣 The ninth book just came out last year. The tenth one is supposed to be the last one whenever it actually makes it out.

rshell68

I think the first book is only 800 something pages...the fifth book is like 1500 pages. I read them during covid and was obsessed for a while. 🤣 The ninth book just came out last year. The tenth one is supposed to be the last one whenever it actually makes it out.
Well with 10 books it will keep me busy for quite a while LOL

sheriffwoody

I don't have a picture, but my favorite book from last month was The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai. It was such a beautiful book, definitely book club fiction and a heavy topic. I am still thinking about it weeks later though, it was so good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom