Reader’s Corner

Songbird76

View attachment 739984

Got in a new book today! It’s the follow-up to “Small Town, Big Magic,” which I read last fall. The first book is about a young woman who finds out that she’s a witch who’s had her memories altered, and she and her friends have to work together to defeat a curse that’s been placed on the town. The follow-up is about her sister. I’ll probably wait until closer to Halloween before reading this one, since it’s a witchy/spooky book.
It sounds similar to a Nora Roberts trilogy that I LOVE. Three Sisters Island, if you are interested. Each book is one of the 3 "sisters" who have to use their magic to save the town from a curse. Love love love it.

Songbird76

I'm not sure what to read next....I've got Small Gods by Terry Pratchett for bookclub, but that's not until the end of October, so I feel like I should wait for a week or so. But then I also have a whole bunch of books I haven't read yet, and I just ordered some Mark Twain so my son has something to read for school (long story) and there are a few more I want to order, but haven't yet. So many amazing books, so little time!

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm not sure what to read next....I've got Small Gods by Terry Pratchett for bookclub, but that's not until the end of October, so I feel like I should wait for a week or so. But then I also have a whole bunch of books I haven't read yet, and I just ordered some Mark Twain so my son has something to read for school (long story) and there are a few more I want to order, but haven't yet. So many amazing books, so little time!
Anything by Terry Pratchett should be read immediately.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It sounds similar to a Nora Roberts trilogy that I LOVE. Three Sisters Island, if you are interested. Each book is one of the 3 "sisters" who have to use their magic to save the town from a curse. Love love love it.
Have you read the Irish Born (Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame) series by Nora Roberts? We read those for book club and they were really enjoyable. Gave me another reason to want to go to Ireland.

erstwo

IMG_6433.jpeg
My book this week. Not sure what to say. I always enjoy Ann Patchett. She is such a talent, but this was just a solidly good book. I tend to think it wasn’t a ‘great’ book but then I’m still mulling some things over in my mind.
I liked this one way better than The Dutch House (I Never got over the description of the house at the beginning of durch house) However, this one was sweet with a random twist at the end that really had no impact on the overall story so I’m still trying to figure out why it was in there.
I had some friends that went to her Nashville talk/ presentation to intro this book in July. I’m going to ask if she gave any insight.

Songbird76

Have you read the Irish Born (Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame) series by Nora Roberts? We read those for book club and they were really enjoyable. Gave me another reason to want to go to Ireland.
Yes, I love that one. She also has a different trilogy set in Ireland that I loved, too. The Irish Trilogy: Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, Heart of the Sea.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Just finished this one last night:

IMG_7298.jpeg

“Things We Left Behind” is the third and last book in the Knockemout series by Lucy Score. I read the first two books earlier this summer, and absolutely fell in love with the characters and their stories. I pre-ordered the third one as soon as I had finished the second book, and it finally came in last week.

IMG_7299.jpeg

I absolutely flew through all three of these books, and now I almost regret it, because I’m bummed that the series is over. 💔 Highly recommend this series if you enjoy romance with a little bit of thriller/mystery mixed in. 18+.

sheriffwoody

Finished Cloud Cuckoo Land this morning! I enjoyed it after about 30%...and I kind of hold it against the author that it took that long for me to know what was going on. It was very confusing up to that point, and I almost abandoned it. My mom loved it, so I pushed through. Ultimately glad I did, though. It was my book club pick, so I'm excited to discuss with my friends!

81EQNKgH9iL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

erstwo

IMG_6487.jpeg
I know I recommended this one in my first post, but wanted to post the book cover because it was so very good. Gave it to my daughter to read and just pulled it out of the abyss of her teen room to give to another friend.
Making my way through The Covenant of Water right now. Not sure if the photo does it justice but it’s giant. Too big for travel/ plane reading so it’s been slow progress. But I’m home all week this week so hoping to finish it.
IMG_6485.jpeg
IMG_6486.jpeg

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I read “Part of Your World,” and its sequel, “Yours Truly” by Abby Jimenez over the course of the past week-ish.

IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_7389.jpeg

“Part of Your World” is about a woman who comes from a long line of doctors that have all worked at the same hospital over the past 100+ years. By chance, she meets a man who runs the bed and breakfast that has been in his family for generations, in a small town where someone in his family has served as mayor for the past 100+ years, where he is currently serving as mayor. They fall in love, but they are both beholden to their family legacy and the expectations put on them by their families and their communities.

“Yours Truly” is about the bff and fellow doctor of the first book’s heroine. A new doctor has joined her department, and while they both make a bad first impression, they end up writing letters bath and forth to each other, and become fast friends. They start fake-dating to appease his family, but of course they both develop real feelings. So many times in reading this book, I found myself throwing the book down in frustration, because they couldn’t just BE HONEST WITH EACH OTHER, YOU’RE BOTH ADULTS IN YOUR THIRTIES FOR PETE’S SAKE!!

Both stories are so heartwarming, and I absolutely fell in love with the characters.

StarWarsGirl

I read “Part of Your World,” and its sequel, “Yours Truly” by Abby Jimenez over the course of the past week-ish.

View attachment 745024
View attachment 745025

“Part of Your World” is about a woman who comes from a long line of doctors that have all worked at the same hospital over the past 100+ years. By chance, she meets a man who runs the bed and breakfast that has been in his family for generations, in a small town where someone in his family has served as mayor for the past 100+ years, where he is currently serving as mayor. They fall in love, but they are both beholden to their family legacy and the expectations put on them by their families and their communities.

“Yours Truly” is about the bff and fellow doctor of the first book’s heroine. A new doctor has joined her department, and while they both make a bad first impression, they end up writing letters bath and forth to each other, and become fast friends. They start fake-dating to appease his family, but of course they both develop real feelings. So many times in reading this book, I found myself throwing the book down in frustration, because they couldn’t just BE HONEST WITH EACH OTHER, YOU’RE BOTH ADULTS IN YOUR THIRTIES FOR PETE’S SAKE!!

Both stories are so heartwarming, and I absolutely fell in love with the characters.
I read both recently. I liked Yours Truly better.

lisak09

Hi All,
I've been reading trip reports on here for years. I rarely post anything and generally prefer to just lurk but a thread about books is hard to resist!!
I recently finished Holly by Stephen King which I loved and I'm now reading A Midlife Gamble which is the last book in a trilogy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930-074710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-074710_Chrome.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930-074819_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-074819_Chrome.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Hi All,
I've been reading trip reports on here for years. I rarely post anything and generally prefer to just lurk but a thread about books is hard to resist!!
I recently finished Holly by Stephen King which I loved and I'm now reading A Midlife Gamble which is the last book in a trilogy.
Do you need to have read the previous novels to be able to follow the narrative in Holly ? Or is it suitable as a standalone ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom