Reader’s Corner

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My most recent read was “The Five-Star Weekend” by Elin Hilderbrand

IMG_9465.jpeg

This book is about Hollis, a popular food blogger whose husband dies unexpectedly in a car crash. She is having a hard time with the grieving process, so she decides to organize a five-star weekend- a weekend where you invite one close friend from each stage of your life. All of the women come together for a long weekend on Nantucket, and drama unfolds as we learn about their secrets and unresolved issues.

I really enjoyed this one - the POV swaps between the different women, so you get to hear all of their points of view as the events are unfolding.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
My most recent read was “The Five-Star Weekend” by Elin Hilderbrand

View attachment 801632

This book is about Hollis, a popular food blogger whose husband dies unexpectedly in a car crash. She is having a hard time with the grieving process, so she decides to organize a five-star weekend- a weekend where you invite one close friend from each stage of your life. All of the women come together for a long weekend on Nantucket, and drama unfolds as we learn about their secrets and unresolved issues.

I really enjoyed this one - the POV swaps between the different women, so you get to hear all of their points of view as the events are unfolding.
I've been kind of back and forth on her books. I read The Identicals a while back, which was about identical twins, but one of the twins was "the other woman" and ended up with the guy, which turned me off.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I still love my paper books, but I also have a Kindle paperwhite. Good thing, too. I brought it on vacation because I can keep a ton of books with me, but A only brought a paper copy of the first Percy Jackson book and zoomed through it the very first day. E brought number 5 because she already read the first 4. A loved the first one so much he wanted to start on the second, so I just bought a Kindle version of the whole set for twenty bucks and he's already on number 4, halfway through our one week vacation. He's devouring them!

I am still reading the Rokesby series. I haven't started the last one yet because I haven't had much time to read and I don't like to start a book if I only have a few minutes here and there. I like to sit and read for hours at a time. After that, I want to finish the Nightingale, and then Percy Jackson is our next book club selection, so that will be next.
The Kindle was great for when I was reading the Outlander series. I read them the first time during Covid, including when I was away and was zipping through them.

I bought my first one before a Hawaii trip because some parent of mine told me bringing a bunch of books was banned. Said parent can't complain now...of course it also works out because when I was in WDW on September, I was going through books like crazy. Read about eight in a two week period.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
My most recent read was “Just for the Summer” by Abby Jimenez. It is a standalone book that is interconnected with “Part of Your World” and “Yours Truly,” which I read last year (the three books take place in the same area and share a few of the same characters, but they can be read separately).
I also really loved this book. All of her books are actually interconnected. Jacob the doctor from Yours Truly appears in Happily Ever After Playlist briefly, and it's mentioned in Yours Truly. The characters from Happily Ever After are also mentioned in Part of Your World.

Edit: all of her books except Part of Your World and Just for the Summer are on Kindle Unlimited

Last edited:

lisak09

20240713_142253.jpgFinished this, it's the fourth in a series. I really like this series but I think this one is my favourite so far. I would highly recommend them.
Screenshot_20240719-085614_Goodreads.jpg
On to this next. It's a horror story set in a theme park in Florida!! Should be interesting!

erstwo

IMG_0268.jpeg
Finished this one late last night (it has a 30 person wait list at my library and it’s about to be overdue!)
So good. It’s a retelling of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn from Jim (the slave’s) perspective.
It’s very good - heartbreakingly good - I’ll be thinking about it for a long time. Percival Everett doesn’t shy away from the hard truths of the past (and present) concerning racism, so lots to think over.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I read The Identicals a while back, which was about identical twins, but one of the twins was "the other woman" and ended up with the guy, which turned me off.
Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_9711.jpeg

My most recent read was “The Berry Pickers” by Amanda Peters. It’s a historical fiction about a Mi’kmaq family from Nova Scotia who travel down to Maine every summer to work on a farm picking blueberries. One summer, their four-year-old daughter vanishes while they’re out working. The story is told from two points of view- the daughter, and the youngest son who was the last person to see her.

There was so much tragedy in this story, but it was such a good read. Highly recommend if you enjoy historical fiction.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Just finished "Fourth Wing" and "Iron Flame" by Rebecca Yarros.

I'm not usually into hard fantasy, but OMG. They were too good, and now I'm sitting here like "yeah, no idea what to read next." And the next book doesn't come out until January.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My latest read was “The Sound of Gravel” by Ruth Wariner.

IMG_9807.jpeg

This is Ruth’s memoir about growing up in a polygamist cult in rural Mexico and escaping as a teenager. This was hard to put down - it’s incredible how much hardship one person can go through at such a young age. If you enjoy memoirs, I’d definitely recommend this one.

erstwo

My latest read was “The Sound of Gravel” by Ruth Wariner.

View attachment 808739

This is Ruth’s memoir about growing up in a polygamist cult in rural Mexico and escaping as a teenager. This was hard to put down - it’s incredible how much hardship one person can go through at such a young age. If you enjoy memoirs, I’d definitely recommend this one.
Would you compare it to 'Educated'? I guess what I'm asking is - Was it comparable? Or worse? Trying to decide if I would kick myself for reading it or not. 😄 sometimes I regret the trauma I put myself through! I know we all talk about it (needing something light to go with all the heavier books - but some of the heavy ones just stick with you!)

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Would you compare it to 'Educated'? I guess what I'm asking is - Was it comparable? Or worse? Trying to decide if I would kick myself for reading it or not. 😄 sometimes I regret the trauma I put myself through! I know we all talk about it (needing something light to go with all the heavier books - but some of the heavy ones just stick with you!)
Probably worse than “Educated” - this one involves multiple deaths and several instances of s*xual abuse of a minor. 😔 It’s an inspiring story, but definitely tough to get through some chapters.

Songbird76

I loved Educated!! I knew someone on here read it and that's why I read it and it was so good, but I couldn't remember who.

Has anyone read Daughter of Gloriavale by lilia Tarawa? That's another girl who was in a religious cult, but her father was the leader. I read it a couple of years ago and it was really interesting.

erstwo

I loved Educated!! I knew someone on here read it and that's why I read it and it was so good, but I couldn't remember who.

Has anyone read Daughter of Gloriavale by lilia Tarawa? That's another girl who was in a religious cult, but her father was the leader. I read it a couple of years ago and it was really interesting.
Thanks @k8einwdw !

and yes - @Songbird76 I think both Kate and I (at a minimum?) read educated. I think it was a a worthwhile read - I’m just still sad every time I think about the lack of care those kids received - after the car wreck, etc.
But then I’m still recovering from a lot of book trauma. lol. I think we discussed ‘The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires’ a while back - I heard this week it’s going to be turned into a TV series. I heard about it from my book club leader who thinks the way I shiver every time she mentions that book is hilarious. 😆

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom