Reader’s Corner

lisak09

Screenshot_20240816-084832_Goodreads.jpgScreenshot_20240816-084840_Goodreads.jpgScreenshot_20240816-084848_Goodreads.jpg
These are the books I've read since finishing Funny Story(which I really enjoyed, this and Book Lovers are my favourite of Emily Henry's books I think).
Of the last three books I really liked Finlay Donovan and Grave Expectations. I was enjoying The Weekend Break but didn't really care for the way it ended.
Screenshot_20240816-084910_Goodreads.jpg
Currently about halfway through this. It's good so far, scary!

Songbird76

View attachment 809566

Just finished “The Women” by Kristin Hannah. This was my third Kristin Hannah - she has quickly become one of my favorite authors. If you enjoy historical fiction, I’d definitely recommend this book.
I just bought another Kristin Hannah one, but it wasn't this one, I don't think. I really like her books though...at least all of them that I've read.

I just finished the last of the Rokesby series by Julia Quinn. First Comes Scandal. I liked it. Probably not quite as much as the Bridgerton Series, but it was fun.

lisak09

View attachment 809732View attachment 809733View attachment 809734
These are the books I've read since finishing Funny Story(which I really enjoyed, this and Book Lovers are my favourite of Emily Henry's books I think).
Of the last three books I really liked Finlay Donovan and Grave Expectations. I was enjoying The Weekend Break but didn't really care for the way it ended.
View attachment 809735
Currently about halfway through this. It's good so far, scary!
I was actually a little disappointed with this when I finished it. It was a bit gross for me (although I'm a big horror fan and usually gross doesn't bother me, not sure why this one did). Also I didn't like the ending...

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My most recent read was “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride.

IMG_9837.jpeg

I remember seeing this book everywhere last year, and decided to finally give it a shot, since I enjoy historical fiction. It presents itself as a murder mystery, with a skeleton discovered on the first few pages of the book. However, it’s less about the murder, and more about Black and Jewish struggles in the early 20th Century in the U.S., and a community coming together to support one another. There are some really difficult parts to get through, but I do think it’s worth a read.

Songbird76

I just finished the Percy Jackson series again. I read it like....14 years ago I think? and I enjoyed it, but the first book was the book club selection for this month, and both of my kids just finished the whole series, so I figured while I was reading the first one, I might as well read the whole thing. And then since Disney just came out with the series, it was good timing. Now I'm going to start on the sequel series, which I have never read before.

lisak09

Screenshot_20240902-092857_Goodreads.jpgScreenshot_20240902-092910_Goodreads.jpgScreenshot_20240902-092921_Goodreads.jpg
The last few books I read. Enjoyed them all, the first two were fun books to read and lighter than my previous read which i kind of needed. I think I'll read more of the Riley Thorn series.
The Andrea Mara was a little creepy but good.
Screenshot_20240902-092540_Goodreads.jpg
Started this one this morning, apparently I can't stay away from the scary books for long!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My most recent read was “The Cinnamon Bun Bookstore” by Laurie Gilmore

IMG_9913.jpeg

This is a follow-up to “The Pumpkin Spice Café” which I read last Fall. These are the first two books of the “Dream Harbor” series by Laurie Gilmore - I believe she intends to release five or six books in this series.

This book focuses on Hazel, a bookstore manager who is about to turn 30, and feels like she’s wasted her 20s being safe and boring. One day, a book turns up shelved incorrectly, and it’s been dog-eared and marked in. She doesn’t think much of it until it happens again with another book, and she begins to suspect that someone is leaving her clues to follow. She enlists the help of her friend, the town rake, to try to find out who is leaving the clues and what they’re leading to, hoping that she can have one reckless adventure before she turns 30.

This one was a cute, cozy read - I think I liked the first book in the series more, but I definitely plan to read the rest of the series as it gets released. 18+ 🌶️

Songbird76

My most recent read was “The Cinnamon Bun Bookstore” by Laurie Gilmore

View attachment 814119

This is a follow-up to “The Pumpkin Spice Café” which I read last Fall. These are the first two books of the “Dream Harbor” series by Laurie Gilmore - I believe she intends to release five or six books in this series.

This book focuses on Hazel, a bookstore manager who is about to turn 30, and feels like she’s wasted her 20s being safe and boring. One day, a book turns up shelved incorrectly, and it’s been dog-eared and marked in. She doesn’t think much of it until it happens again with another book, and she begins to suspect that someone is leaving her clues to follow. She enlists the help of her friend, the town rake, to try to find out who is leaving the clues and what they’re leading to, hoping that she can have one reckless adventure before she turns 30.

This one was a cute, cozy read - I think I liked the first book in the series more, but I definitely plan to read the rest of the series as it gets released. 18+ 🌶️
I just got this one, but haven't read it yet. I also pre-ordered the next two in the series. The Christmas Tree Farm and the Strawberry Patch Pancake House.

Tiki Traveler

IMG_1666.jpeg

So in the middle of an extremely hot and humid period this summer I decided I needed the icy, coldness of a ghost story. Except for the occasional Stephen King I rarely read anything spooky but felt I needed a change. And with the story set in a museum, one of my favorite places, I was in. The writing was wonderfully descriptive and the story was suspenseful never gory.

Though the cover looks like the book is from the 60s or 70s, it was written in 2018 and takes place in the present day.

I’m now ready for Halloween!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
My two latest reads:

IMG_9998.jpeg

“The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue” is about a young woman in 18th century France who, in an attempt to escape marriage, makes a deal with a “god of darkness” - she gets a life of freedom, and he can have her soul when she’s done with it. Unbeknownst to her, as soon as the deal is made, her existence is wiped from the memories of every person she knows. Going forward, every person she meets will forget her the moment she is out of their sight, so she can’t have any friendships or romantic relationships. This goes on for 300 years, until a bookseller in Brooklyn remembers her, and she can finally tell her story.

IMG_9999.jpeg

“The City Baker’s Guide to Country Living” is about Olivia, a pastry chef, who lost both parents at a young age, and has a hard time staying in one place for too long. After a disaster at her job in Boston, she runs away to rural Vermont to stay with her best friend. While there, she lands a job as the pastry chef at a bed and breakfast run by a cantankerous widow. She very quickly forges relationships and finds herself falling in love, but can she stick around when things get tough in a small town?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom