Read the maps

Thumper 32

Original Poster
I know many of us don't pay much attention to the park maps, but perhaps you should. The name of Golden Oak Outpost (a news headline on the main page) has actually been in the Magic Kingdom maps for many days now.

Also, American Idol is not yet listed in the Studios maps, but the drawing on the map has been updated with the new facade.

Don't be so quick to rush past the map racks at the entrance, you never know what interesting news you may be missing. :lol:

epcotWSC

I always grab a map, it's a nice (free) souvenir. Although I'd assume that the people who go on a regular basis probably don't bother.

Rob562

I know many of us don't pay much attention to the park maps, but perhaps you should. The name of Golden Oak Outpost (a news headline on the main page) has actually been in the Magic Kingdom maps for many days now.

Also, American Idol is not yet listed in the Studios maps, but the drawing on the map has been updated with the new facade.

Don't be so quick to rush past the map racks at the entrance, you never know what interesting news you may be missing. :lol:

On a daily basis on my trips, I usually just grab a Times Guide as I enter the park. But I grab 2 or 3 full sets of maps to bring home.

Back in Animal Kingdom's opening year, Asia wasn't originally on the maps because it was to open sometime that winter. On the maps there was just a piece of text saying something like "future site of Asia".

Well, that December was my first visit to AK. On the first day we went, it was just the text. A couple days later, Asia appeared on the maps. It was hazy like it was in a fog, but you could pick out the pathways and stuff. After asking a Cast Member, we found out that they were going to start opening Asia for Guest previews at the end of the week, for a couple hours each day to get the animals used to people being around.

Well, we went back and were among the first hundred or so Guests to get to see Asia. (At the time it was just the main section of the land and the Jungle Trek. Kali was still a few months away from completion)

-Rob

brent2124

i always pick up a map from each park and date them. Then you can look back at the olden days and remenis about the i remember when ........

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

You could have reported it to us then. It's on the front page now because its the first I knew of it, and I am sure it's going to be the first that a lot of people knew of it. Remember, tens of thousands of our visitors arent locals, and live thousands of miles away from the nearest map.

Roxas

I collect the maps,guides, booklets almost obsessively on each of my trips, not just disney though I also collect all the Universal and Seaworld maps and the tourist information booklets.

I have a special box for them in my room :)

wvdisneyfamily

On a daily basis on my trips, I usually just grab a Times Guide as I enter the park. But I grab 2 or 3 full sets of maps to bring home.

Back in Animal Kingdom's opening year, Asia wasn't originally on the maps because it was to open sometime that winter. On the maps there was just a piece of text saying something like "future site of Asia".

Well, that December was my first visit to AK. On the first day we went, it was just the text. A couple days later, Asia appeared on the maps. It was hazy like it was in a fog, but you could pick out the pathways and stuff. After asking a Cast Member, we found out that they were going to start opening Asia for Guest previews at the end of the week, for a couple hours each day to get the animals used to people being around.

Well, we went back and were among the first hundred or so Guests to get to see Asia. (At the time it was just the main section of the land and the Jungle Trek. Kali was still a few months away from completion)

-Rob

That is too cool! Can you scan an image of the foggy map? I'd love to see it.

Space Mountain

I collect the maps,guides, booklets almost obsessively on each of my trips, not just disney though I also collect all the Universal and Seaworld maps and the tourist information booklets.

I have a special box for them in my room :)

I use a furnace for the universal maps :fork:

GenerationX

I always grab a couple of sets of park maps. A "near mint condition" copy of each map goes into my WDW souvenir drawer, the kids and I use some of the others to plan our next visit, and I give the rest away to friends, family, and co-workers that are planning their trips.

imamouse

We also grab foreign lanugage maps for the languages our kids are studing in school. It makes homework much more enjoyable! We also bring some back for the foreign language teachers for classroom use (if they desire).

Candlejack

I use a furnace for the universal maps :fork:

thumbs_up-1.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think you`re barking up the wrong tree saying `read the maps` here.

Kind of preaching to the converted.

Texas84

Map? I don't need no stinking map!

I don't think we're bashing Universal, just their lousy maps. They are horrible!

Rob562

That is too cool! Can you scan an image of the foggy map? I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it. The earliest AK map I can find is from 2004.
A couple years ago there was a flood in the basement of my apartment building. Among the things in my storage room that were ruined was a box full of random papers and stuff. It may have been in that. Sorry.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom