Ratatouille in Epcot

Captain Neo

What a surprise. Fox New posts a wildly inaccurate headline. I shall try not to let the shock and surprise overtake me. I wouldn't get my regular news from Fox. But I sure wouldn't get my entertainment news from them.

Also, that ridiculously overstated headline is based solely on the movie's opening weekend. It's only a fraction of the story which we now know.

The movie was not a bomb. Not at all. Not a matter of opinion. It is historical fact. But please, continue to argue otherwise if you wish.

But its not a Jurassic park size hit either so why do they have to junk up a perfectly good land based around a popular and active franchise with a kong ride where you stare at large video screens of king kong????

It would be like building a John Carter ride in Star Wars land.

GLaDOS

But its not a Jurassic park size hit either so why do they have to junk up a perfectly good land based around a popular and active franchise with a kong ride where you stare at large video screens of king kong????

They aren't junking up a land. It will be separate from Jurassic Park.

And you'd be wrong assuming Kong will only appear on a screen.

lebeau

No. John Carter was a bomb.

Both JP and KK are bigger than one movie. The Jp franchise started off strong and quickly fell into irrelevance. The Kong series has had it's ups and downs. But few movie icons have the longevity of King Kong.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

Captain Neo

No. John Carter was a bomb.

Both JP and KK are bigger than one movie. The Jp franchise started off strong and quickly fell into irrelevance. The Kong series has had it's ups and downs. But few movie icons have the longevity of King Kong.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

My problem is that King Kong is taking over space on Jurassic Park Island.

Captain Neo

They aren't junking up a land. It will be separate from Jurassic Park.

And you'd be wrong assuming Kong will only appear on a screen.

"separate from JP" in that they will be taking the whole area by Thunder Falls terrace that really was designed to expand JP and start eating into that leaving a much smaller JP area wedged tightly between Kong and Harry Potter when it used to be more isolated and immersive as its own experience.

90% of the King Kong attraction will be digital projections. Go confirm it with insiders and if you don't belive me save this post and throw it in my face if I'm wrong in a few years.

Bairstow

...which I'll give you is completely lame.

From Universal's perspective though, they've got a popular, big-ticket attraction where all the real money (on CGI rendering) has already been spent that they could easily port over... or something else?
So, do they want to invest in a fast-moving, complicated ride system with a bunch of expensive-to-maintain animatronic dinosaur figures, or a long aircraft hanger and a couple thousand dollars' worth of video projectors and several gross of plastic 3D glasses?

It's an easy decision, really.

GLaDOS

...which I'll give you is completely lame.

From Universal's perspective though, they've got a popular, big-ticket attraction where all the real money (on CGI rendering) has already been spent that they could easily port over... or something else?
So, do they want to invest in a fast-moving, complicated ride system with a bunch of expensive-to-maintain animatronic dinosaur figures, or a long aircraft hanger and a couple thousand dollars' worth of video projectors and several gross of plastic 3D glasses?

It's an easy decision, really.

Kong will not be the same attraction from Universal Studios Hollywood.

Matt_Black

Okay.

Neither belong. Zero tolerance for your so-called "intellectual" properties, mass-marketed for mass consumption, dumbed down for middle American wal-mart zombies that swill Budweiser & graze on churros.

If you think Doctor Who is dumbed down for American audiences, I'm guessing you don't watch it.

lebeau

Okay. So that's a completely different argument from the one you were originally making. You don't like Universal's plans (or what you believe Universal's plans to be since I am assuming you have no inside info). That's a matter of personal preference. So I won't bother trying to change your mind.

I'll just say that both the JP and Kong franchises are worthy of theme park treatment and leave it at that. We can discus the merits of the eventual plans once they are announced and/or built.

Now that we have laid to rest the notion that the 2005 remake was anything remotely resembling a box office bomb, we can return to debating the merits of the rat ride (which probably won't be built at Epcot in spite of the rumor.)

MerlinTheGoat

No one knows how much of Kong will be projection. Odds are however that it's going to be a large amount and 90% may well not be far off for a guess. The ride portion of Gringotts was stated by whylightbulb to be about 85% projection based, after WDW1974 and several others had mentioned that Universal was trying to diminish the presence of physical sets and figures. Whylightbulb did confirm that this was indeed happening with newer projects and many at Universal Creative weren't very happy with it. There's no telling specifically how much of Kong will be projected, but the odds are likely a substantial amount will be. No one said a percentage though as far as I'm aware.

For that matter @whylightbulb would probably be a good guy to ask about how much of Kong will be projected.

Bairstow

No one knows how much of Kong will be projection. Odds are however that it's going to be a large amount and 90% may well not be far off for a guess. The ride portion of Gringotts was stated by whylightbulb to be about 85% projection based, after WDW1974 and several others had mentioned that Universal was trying to diminish the presence of physical sets and figures. Whylightbulb did confirm that this was indeed happening with newer projects and many at Universal Creative weren't very happy with it. There's no telling specifically how much of Kong will be projected, but the odds are likely a substantial amount will be. No one said a percentage though as far as I'm aware.

For that matter @whylightbulb would probably be a good guy to ask about how much of Kong will be projected.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-sixth-sense.879918/page-369#post-6024828

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom