Ratatouille in Epcot

SirLink

What part of "No, Doctor Who doesn't fit nor belong in Epcot no matter what rabid fanbois say" isn't clear?

As a Brit there are plenty of "Brands" that could actually enter and 'plus' up lets say the UK section. Like I would love an Abbey Road built in UK which features The Beatles Ride. Its a brand? Yes. Is it a significant export to global culture? Yes. Should it be recognised as such that Brits have superior taste in music? Yes.

Last edited:

CDavid

If you guys think Dr Who is a great example of British ways, culture and life then god help us.

I rather thought Top Gear was the great example of British ways, culture and life. :D:):D

Sadly, I have to agree that Disney would probably never display this statue in any form. One of the unwritten rules of political correctness is that Christianity is the only major religion that seems to "Offend" people.

I would not be surprised to see Christ the Redeemer appear in a fly over in Soarin', It's a pre-requisite of any travel video to Brazil that it be included in the first 30 seconds.

Having said that, I would absolutely not be surprised if Disney would be hesitent to put this in the park for fear of it becoming a target for protests or worse. There is no reason for them to fan the flames.

Nobody is going to be protesting a statue of Christ the Redeemer in a theme park. Have a few professionally offended, politically correct, overzealous groups with an agenda really made a nation founded upon and governed by Christian principles afraid to openly display culturally significant and historic symbols and architecture?

And that's on private property where people have to pay admission to be allowed in to see it. :mad:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you guys think Dr Who is a great example of British ways, culture and life then god help us.

Its a single tv show on a single tv network. Laughed at through the 70s and 80s until a higher budget resurrection in 2005 brought it to a new audience.

Kind of like having Knight Rider instead of the American Adventure (and I loved Knight Rider)
Well played.

Knight Rider would be classic. Your magic band could activate a conversation with Kit. I bet they could get Hasselhoff to appear for a meet and greet. Just don't bring him around during food and wine...the Hoff and free flowing booze could get really ugly.

John

I don't even know where to start, I haven't followed the thread and I am certainly not going back and reading every page. I would bet that my sentiments have been shared by others but I will throw my two cents in for what ever it is worth.

LEAVE WS as it is! Keep it a place of culture and as close to reality of the country you are visiting. TDO has three other parks that have rides in them and not to forget the abomination called Future World. If they are going to put money into Ws I can think of a hundreds things where the money is better spent.

That's all.............carry on.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't even know where to start, I haven't followed the thread and I am certainly not going back and reading every page. I would bet that my sentiments have been shared by others but I will throw my two cents in for what ever it is worth.

LEAVE WS as it is! Keep it a place of culture and as close to reality of the country you are visiting. TDO has three other parks that have rides in them and not to forget the abomination called Future World. If they are going to put money into Ws I can think of a hundreds things where the money is better spent.

That's all.............carry on.
If you enjoy the classic World Showcase pavilions go back and check out what Lee posted on page 9 as an alternative to the rat.

John

Top Gear is much more of a global cultural phenomenon than Doctor Who.

Who fans, from what I've seen are a niche group who wish their stuff was more popular, and are constanltly publicizing as if it's much bigger than it is. Sorry, that's just my impression.

Never seen one episode of either. But I think Antiques Roadshow is more of an icon then both of them.....but what do I know.:confused: LMAO

RSoxNo1

I rather thought Top Gear was the great example of British ways, culture and life. :D:):D

Nobody is going to be protesting a statue of Christ the Redeemer in a theme park. Have a few professionally offended, politically correct, overzealous groups with an agenda really made a nation founded upon and governed by Christian principles afraid to openly display culturally significant and historic symbols and architecture?

And that's on private property where people have to pay admission to be allowed in to see it. :mad:
Don't give crazy an excuse to be crazy.

lebeau

It got outgrossed by a Narnia movie and was quickly forgotten. Most people who saw it also felt it was a poorly done film. It's considered a bomb because of the ridiculous hype the movie got and how Peter Jackson was supposedly hot stuff coming off the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

That's silly.

The first Narnia movie was a global smash. If being outgrossed by a movie that did almost 750 million world wide in 2005 dollars is the mark of a bomb, the majority of movies released are bombs. It was the second biggest movie of 2005 after Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. By your standard, there were only two movies released in 2005 that were not box office bombs.

Next point, "most people" did not think it was a "poorly done film." It currently has an 84% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Granted, the audience rating is only 50%. But that's hardly "most people". Where does one even come up with a consensus like that? Unless you did a scientific poll, you have no idea what "most people" think of a movie.

It had 4 Oscar nominations and 3 wins. So clearly the people who make movies (and know the most about how movies are made) did not consider King Kong to be a poorly made movie.

It is, in point of fact, not considered a bomb. Because it is not a bomb by any reasonable standard. Yes, it was hyped because Jackson was coming off of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and yes it fell a little short of the hype. But you have veered off into crazy hyperbole. A movie that made a tidy profit like King Kong can not under any circumstances be called a "bomb". That is not a matter of opinion. Factually, it does not meet the criteria.

It was arguably a disappointment both creatively and commercially. But that is only because expectations were sky high.

You are using the term "bomb" incorrectly. Wildly so.

Captain Neo

That's silly.

The first Narnia movie was a global smash. If being outgrossed by a movie that did almost 750 million world wide in 2005 dollars is the mark of a bomb, the majority of movies released are bombs. It was the second biggest movie of 2005 after Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. By your standard, there were only two movies released in 2005 that were not box office bombs.

Next point, "most people" did not think it was a "poorly done film." It currently has an 84% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Granted, the audience rating is only 50%. But that's hardly "most people". Where does one even come up with a consensus like that? Unless you did a scientific poll, you have no idea what "most people" think of a movie.

It had 4 Oscar nominations and 3 wins. So clearly the people who make movies (and know the most about how movies are made) did not consider King Kong to be a poorly made movie.

It is, in point of fact, not considered a bomb. Because it is not a bomb by any reasonable standard. Yes, it was hyped because Jackson was coming off of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and yes it fell a little short of the hype. But you have veered off into crazy hyperbole. A movie that made a tidy profit like King Kong can not under any circumstances be called a "bomb". That is not a matter of opinion. Factually, it does not meet the criteria.

It was arguably a disappointment both creatively and commercially. But that is only because expectations were sky high.

You are using the term "bomb" incorrectly. Wildly so.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/12/17/king-kong-bombing-big-time-at-box-office/

Fox&Hound

I think this thread brings up an interesting topic: what is WDW?

Some view it as:
MK: cartoon characters and classic rides
AK: A zoo
HS: live films and acquired properties
EPCOT: world culture, cuisine, and education about the world we live in and could live in one day

Other people go to MK and enjoy it very much but then go to the other parks and say, "where are all of the characters? I want Toy story, princesses, Donald Duck, and Frozen!" Why aren't they here?

So is WDW four distinct destinations each offering something different or are they four theme parks that while they have their own theme should still mirror each other in the sense that they offer a "Disney" experience full of characters no matter where you are.

And because Disney has tried to appeal to the masses, their message has become muddled. Do Toy Story characters belong in HS? Should all cartoon character be in MK? Does Remy belong in France in EPCOT? I think fans are confused because the message is inconsistent.

Just a late night thought....

lebeau

What a surprise. Fox New posts a wildly inaccurate headline. I shall try not to let the shock and surprise overtake me. I wouldn't get my regular news from Fox. But I sure wouldn't get my entertainment news from them.

Also, that ridiculously overstated headline is based solely on the movie's opening weekend. It's only a fraction of the story which we now know.

The movie was not a bomb. Not at all. Not a matter of opinion. It is historical fact. But please, continue to argue otherwise if you wish.

lebeau

An over eight year old article written three days after the movie premiered really doesn't have any bearing on the film's ultimate success or failure.

Yeah, but he can't argue facts because they don't support his argument. This is all he has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom