Ratatouille in Epcot

ToTBellHop

See, you know Epcot desperately needs new attractions when people are excited about this rumor when it would have been scoffed at by everyone years ago. I want new rides in Epcot as much as anyone else, but no cartoon, Disney or not, is appropriate for pavilions that are supposedly representing authentic culture. What would the French think of this? "You think so little of our country that you use one of your own cartoons to represent us"? Same thing with replacing Maelstrom with a Frozen ride. "Oh, I guess our culture and history isn't as important to you as your animated films."
The French seem pretty stoked about getting this ride in France, so I doubt they would be hurt to find it in Epcot's France.

To me, stellar attractions are always welcome. And I find the film Ratatouille to be a fun glimpse at French culture. There's always Impressions of France.

Kman101

I may not like the idea of 'cartoons' in Epcot's World Showcase, but at this point, it's likely what we're going to be getting (not saying it's what I want but I won't lie that this rumor doesn't excite me). And just because there's a Ratatouille ride it doesn't take away from any of the culture of the France pavilion, IMO. If the entire pavilion gets ripped down and becomes a cartoon version, then I'll have an issue.

I'd take this ride over The Seas with Nemo and Gran Fiesta Tour.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of FROZEN replacing Maelstrom though. I'd have a much bigger issue with that. And it has nothing to do with the movie itself.

Kman101

Yeah, but it also isn't in a park dedicated to exposing other cultures to (mostly) Americans.

I agree completely with you, but sadly, at this point, that's out the window (clearly). And just because a ride going there, that shouldn't and wouldn't (hopefully) take away from learning about the culture. It doesn't have to be a ride about the culture.

And I thought the point of the pavilions was to promote those countries and get people to visit them? A ride won't diminish that (IMO).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Well there is enough room back there. And supposedly clearing.
There appears to be some space behind and to the left side of the pavilion (there's a seemingly empty plot of land between France and Morocco where they could build a new show building for a ride) from what little I can discern from an overview on maps. I don't know how easily some of the space could be re-purposed, but I tried to draw some colored boundaries around parts that might be able to be repurposed for show building space (I don't know how important the smaller buildings are within this space).

francespacerat.jpg

The unfortunate thing about how Disney works though is that they look for ANY way to save money as possible. I'd be surprised if they weren't looking for ways to gut the France movie's theater so they don't have to build a new show building...

I'd be more open to a clone of this ride (though still not without some gripes) if they at least keep the France movie. They finally gave it a lovely digital upgrade a couple of years back and it had been looking better than it has in decades. I don't want to see the movie removed and will be upset if they gut it for this ride (i might be open to having both exist in the same pavilion though).

ToTBellHop

There appears to be some space behind and to the left side of the pavilion (there's a seemingly empty plot of land between France and Morocco where they could build a new show building for a ride) from what little I can discern from an overview on maps. I don't know how easily some of the space could be re-purposed, but I tried to draw some colored boundaries around parts that might be able to be repurposed for show building space (I don't know how important the smaller buildings are within this space).

View attachment 53328

The unfortunate thing about how Disney works though is that they look for ANY way to save money as possible. I'd be surprised if they weren't looking for ways to gut the France movie's theater so they don't have to build a new show building...

I'd be more open to a clone of this ride (though still not without some gripes) if they at least keep the France movie. They finally gave it a lovely digital upgrade a couple of years back and it had been looking better than it has in decades. I don't want to see the movie removed and will be upset if they gut it for this ride (i might be open to having both exist in the same pavilion though).
That would be unfortunate, but it is a dated film so this might be an excuse to axe it (and use the theater's entrance as a marquee for the ride to save money). All that would have to be built is an un themed show building since I assume this ride is bigger than the existing theater.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't find the movie that dated at all honestly, a lot is just scenery that still exists coupled with a timeless soundtrack. It holds up amazingly well. Some scenes could perhaps do with a reedit with some newer shots, but I don't have any major qualms with the way it is currently. I think it did and still does represent the country incredibly well.

All that would have to be built is an un themed show building since I assume this ride is bigger than the existing theater.
That's assuming they don't heavily cut the ride down from its original form to fit in the existing show building to save more money (hell maybe without even using the same ride system as someone suggested around one of these topics). They've been known to edit down clones of rides before (Pirates at WDW being one of the more famous examples).

jt04

View attachment 53328

As long as they leave room for the magicical train to DHS it is all good. Seems to be plenty of room for the Rat ride and monorail/train/express and keep the movie theater.

CDavid

View attachment 53328

There should be plenty of room behind the existing France pavilion for a ride building. I wouldn't want to lose the movie theater for any new addition, but potentially worse would be to encroach on the expansion pad between France and Morocco, which would forever prevent the addition of a new country in that space as originally intended.

Not that there is necessarily anything to the rumor at this point.

ToTBellHop

There should be plenty of room behind the existing France pavilion for a ride building. I wouldn't want to lose the movie theater for any new addition, but potentially worse would be to encroach on the expansion pad between France and Morocco, which would forever prevent the addition of a new country in that space as originally intended.

Not that there is necessarily anything to the rumor at this point.
Of course not. How many rumors of World Showcase attractions have we heard over the years? Too many.

Clowd Nyne

Uh...Please tell me your post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm... :confused:

If only there were a thematically better place in Walt Disney World to place such an attraction, maybe some sort of "Fantasy" land or something. Or, perhaps some sort of park devoted to movie themed attractions.
Or France

Clowd Nyne

Epcot needs a crowd eater to help out the other E tickets. I can't wait to see what Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Amna and Elsa do for the wait times across MK. I'm sure it will a measurable difference. The waits at peak times are ridiculous at Epcot, and addressing that should be the first objective IMO. Wether it be a Parisian Rat or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom