Rat ride pov video

DinoInstitute

Wait, theres no motion-simulation in the vehicles? I could have sworn I saw a pic for a motion ride vehicle.

And I thought it was trackless? Oh, it is? I'm confused. I thought I saw track in the vid very briefly.

Tony Perkis

Cars was a quality movie. And the Mater shorts were well done. I think people unfairly judge the original movie due to the mediocrity of the sequel.
Cars 2 was flat out bad. Cars, to me, is mediocre due to the uninspired story, lacking voice acting quality, Larry the Cable Guy, and what was at the time the least original and emotionally gripping Pixar film.

tirian

Wow... that was a lot of screens. Didn't necessarily look like the execution was that great either. You could clearly see that it was just a big screen in front of you most of the time. They didn't even try to hide the plain floor in front of you where the screen cuts off awkwardly a lot of the time.

It's cute, I guess. I certainly hope it stays far away from Epcot, though.
My thoughts exactly. To be honest, it looks kind of boring, and I love the movie.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Wait, theres no motion-simulation in the vehicles? I could have sworn I saw a pic for a motion ride vehicle.
Maybe they can be turned on and off like Antarctica? That's a feature I want on a LOT more rides!
And I thought it was trackless? Oh, it is? I'm confused. I thought I saw track in the vid very briefly.
It is trackless, but, based on the video, it is hardly justified. I know it's just a video, but Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, and Antarctica videos all showcase the "dancing" of the cars. This one did not.

Bairstow

Everything I've read says that the vehicles are trackless.
That doesn't necessarily mean they're being used to their fullest potential in-ride.

Does anyone know who made them? Or made the Mystic Manor vehicles?
I don't think it was ETF.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's a shame that the US Disney Parks have never utilized the Trackless system for any new attraction...

I think this shows that just because you include a feature for a checkbox... it doesn't necessarily make it great. I think the usage here was like 'so what'.. and wasn't really implemented into the being chased and moving around it could be. Imagine if there was as sequence where you raced through a maze of those oversized things randomly. Then I could see some value...

lazyboy97o

trying to picture that..but i think i get it
The vehicles enter a room then move around one another as well as scenery pieces. I'd say to more imagine a dance where people are changing partners and also moving on their own. You really can see it in videos of the previously mentioned attractions.

FigmentJedi

It's nice, but geez, I hope that's just testing because it really needs a motion base vehicle to justify parking in front of all those screens.

This. I watched it and felt like I had more questions than anything in the end. What was the point of an LPS? Most of the ride seemed to consist of sitting still in front of large screens.

It's like I''m really reading about Sea World's Antarctica ride.

Cmdr_Crimson

Think 'ballroom dancing' - that might help you frame it...
trying to picture that..but i think i get it

The cars move around the circular room as it appears as they are "Dancing"
Tokyo-Disneyland-Spring-2013-0248.jpg

DinoInstitute

I believe Carsland happened because it made sense. Say they wanted to add an immersive land, perhaps Pixar even, well, Cars fits best. Aside from Monstropolis, how many movies can you create a good location for a themed land? Sure, that doesn't narrow it down too much, but still a bit.

And the other big thing is that, doesn't Cars take place in California? Therefore, it is a good way to add Disney magic, while "pretty much" following the theme of the park

lazyboy97o

I believe Carsland happened because it made sense. Say they wanted to add an immersive land, perhaps Pixar even, well, Cars fits best. Aside from Monstropolis, how many movies can you create a good location for a themed land? Sure, that doesn't narrow it down too much, but still a bit.

And the other big thing is that, doesn't Cars take place in California? Therefore, it is a good way to add Disney magic, while "pretty much" following the theme of the park
Carsland happened because they sold billions of dollars worth of merchandise.

Carburetor County is in Arizona.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
here's how I would have thought about using trackless...

Imagine the set is a table top... with various cooking ingredients and utencils on. There is no one clear path... there are choices on which way to go around or past something.

Now play out the story that you the rat are being chased across this table... the rat makes aburpt changes in directions to try to shake what is chasing you.. and the path you take could vary each time due to the trackless system.

Now mix projection mapping into the mix... someone throws something and hits the set piece you just dodged... a stack of things falls apart/over... a knife comes down and splits the tomato piece, etc.

That would have made me feel like I was being chased and blend in a 'real physical world' for the chase. Projections and projection mapping could highten the feelings of speed and thrill by making things more dynamic and responsive.

lazyboy97o

here's how I would have thought about using trackless...

Imagine the set is a table top... with various cooking ingredients and utencils on. There is no one clear path... there are choices on which way to go around or past something.

Now play out the story that you the rat are being chased across this table... the rat makes aburpt changes in directions to try to shake what is chasing you.. and the path you take could vary each time due to the trackless system.

Now mix projection mapping into the mix... someone throws something and hits the set piece you just dodged... a stack of things falls apart/over... a knife comes down and splits the tomato piece, etc.

That would have made me feel like I was being chased and blend in a 'real physical world' for the chase. Projections and projection mapping could highten the feelings of speed and thrill by making things more dynamic and responsive.
I really was surprised there is no scene of rats scurrying around objects, even if it is just stuff that was quickly dropped on the floor.

choco choco

I don't understand, what's the point of having a trackless ride system if you're not going to do anything with it?

Ratatouille has the same problem as Mystic Manor. If every vehicle is following a linear path through the ride and every ride vehicle is looking at the same thing, in the same order, and the ride vehicles aren't interacting...then why not just build a tracked ride? You aren't using the trackless function to any purpose.

The strange thing is that Pooh's Hunny Hunt understood this -- and that was the first trackless ride. The ride vehicles enter a huge room, of which there are "stations" (Pooh's showscene, Roo's Showscene, Eeyore's, Owl's and so on) and vehicles go to different stations, and as each moves around independently there are glimpses of all the other scenes, so that it feels like you are in the middle of place that is populated and alive. But every ride through is different, giving variety and repeatability. And then in the end showscene, the vehicles "dance" with each other and a trackless moving figure, so that the whole thing feels like everyone is involved in a part of this themed world.

They got the basics down right on their first try....and they've been going backwards with it ever since. This is bewildering.

kap91

Hmm...can't say I'm pleased with this screen trend everyone is going towards - though the bits under the table blend and work amazingly well!

I agree with those saying the trackless isn't being used as much as it could be: more retracing of steps and multiple paths seem like logical ideas- though I don't mind the absence of a "dancing" scene. That type of movement is quickly becoming cliche (present in at least 3 trackless rides I know of). I'd also argue that trackless is still inherently better than tracked even if it's not taken advantage of, just because of the lack of an unsightly rail telling you where you're about to go.

Yeah so...definitely nice, not hit out of the park. Hope Disney stops following Universal's lead in the screen department (seriously, even the track layout seems similar to transformers)

Any confirmation if whether the vehicles have motion based or not? That would make a large difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom