1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare Concept Art Found for Disneyland Atlantis Expedition

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by mandstaft, Mar 10, 2017.

1. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a hydrolater like Sea Base Alpha.

I would like to see them put in a Sea Base Alpha using the subs as transportation to the base. The base could have an underwater roller coaster with live fish.

2. mandstaft

mandstaft Well-Known Member Original Poster

^^Always loved that piece of The Living Seas!

3. SuddenStorm

SuddenStorm Well-Known Member

This excerpt from the parkscope article is interesting:

So let’s agree on the obvious and admit that change is fine, as long as we get something better than what came before. Closing a beloved attraction without a replacement is unacceptable. So is changing something simply for the sake of change (Under New Management again). It’s sad that nowadays (and by nowadays I mean the past 25 years) we can’t even trust Disney to make a considered, measured effort to weigh the pros and cons of an attraction replacement or refurb.
    I think there's a lot to relate to this. Star Wars Land? Better than backstage, trees, and a petting zoo. Fantasmic!!? Sounds more like changing for the sake of change, but if we get something better than what came before, then it's a good thing. Guardians of the Galaxy? I don't even know what Disney is doing there.

4. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Guardians Tower is just change for the sake of changing something. It's like they have a few million to burn and didn't know what to do with it. How about getting the ice machine to work in Indy?

5. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

I remember what summer evenings in New Orleans Square/Critter Country/Frontierland used to be like, and I'd vote for those unforgettable, beautiful, uncrowded evenings over Fantasmic any day. But beautiful summer evenings don't sell t-shirts... (I love Fantasmic, but hate what it did to the park's crowd situation).

6. SuddenStorm

At the very least, I want the multiple chamber door effect back.

7. SuddenStorm

They don't show Fantasmic! nightly in the spring/fall. Plenty of time then to enjoy the nighttime atmosphere, and SoCals weather is good enough year round for it to be pleasant.

8. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

This.
    So much.

-

Kram Sacul, CHOX and phruby like this.
  9. mickEblu

mickEblu Well-Known Member

I rode Nemo last week to remind myself why I haven't been on it in 7 years.

I remember now. :facepalm:

10. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

The river area used to be pleasant until Midnight/1:00 AM all summer. Those times are never returning. Things change, I know. But I'd happily give up Fantasmic and all the crowd issues it brought with it (and, again, I do love the show itself).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Practical Pig likes this.
  11. yookeroo

yookeroo Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's the first step in adding a big new Marvel area.

Curious Constance likes this.
  12. mickEblu

I hear you. I sometimes wonder if these nighttime spectaculars are worth the havoc they create at the park. As I say this I realize that as an AP, I have the privilege of going to the park often but imagine a lot of causal guests would give up fireworks etc.for a more peaceful park at night as well.

Practical Pig likes this.
  13. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

As an AP I would definitely give up fireworks and parades if I could cross the park easier at night.

Rich T, Practical Pig and mickEblu like this.
  14. mickEblu

100%. Personally, I ve seen PTN once, MSEP once, RDTC once, Fantasmic once, Original WOC once, Disneyland Forever once and WOC Celebrate once in the last 4 years as an AP. So yea if I had my pick I would choose to give them all up for more peaceful nights as well. I guess the caveat is that I'm able to say that because I've crossed them all off the list.

15. Practical Pig

Practical Pig Well-Known Member

I wish I had the WDW history to know more about this hydrolator stuff. I often read about other people's nostalgia for the experience, and it seems like it was effective "magic", but it's outside of my Disney wheelhouse.

16. dweezil78

dweezil78 Well-Known Member

Don't forget though, the benefit of those nighttime shows is that it sucks a lot of people out of attraction queues!!

17. CHOX

CHOX New Member

If they wanted...they could do some amazing stuff with the dry scenes in the Nemo ride. You could fit a pretty advanced animatronic behind that glass (although I have no idea how much room there is...).

The ride as it stands is just so half assed. I like to point towards the angler fish scene and that bright flash that lights up SO MUCH EMPTY SPACE. I appreciate Disney for bringing the Subs back, but it could be so much better!

phruby likes this.
  18. Travel Junkie

Travel Junkie Well-Known Member

I went last night. I hadn't seen MSEP and RDCT since they returned. Main St. was basically full by 7PM. At 8PM they announced the entire parade route full. I left. I may not ever see them again because DL is absolute madness and even as an AP with plenty of time to camp out if I so choose. It's not worth it.

On a side note the backside of the Guardian's tower looks like a woman of a certain age, trying to look 20 years younger and get noticed by going way overboard on makeup and jewelry.

Rich T and mickEblu like this.
  19. Practical Pig

Practical Pig Well-Known Member

The British have, or had an expression for that. "Mutton dressed like lamb."

At least, Agatha Christie was fond of using it. I'm assuming it was cultural.

Rich T likes this.
  20. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

I remember going through the angler fish room and the work lights were on. Its just a large room with plastic fish suspended from above. Its like they intended them to move but the mechanism was broken. There was even trash on the ground!

CHOX likes this.