Rare Concept Art Found for Disneyland Atlantis Expedition

Phroobar

Yeah I think there would have to have been multiple means of access. That attack of the giant crab traded out for watching a couple of minutes of underwater TV merch ads ... :mad:
I'm thinking of something along the lines of a hydrolater like Sea Base Alpha.

I would like to see them put in a Sea Base Alpha using the subs as transportation to the base. The base could have an underwater roller coaster with live fish.

SuddenStorm

This excerpt from the parkscope article is interesting:

So let’s agree on the obvious and admit that change is fine, as long as we get something better than what came before. Closing a beloved attraction without a replacement is unacceptable. So is changing something simply for the sake of change (Under New Management again). It’s sad that nowadays (and by nowadays I mean the past 25 years) we can’t even trust Disney to make a considered, measured effort to weigh the pros and cons of an attraction replacement or refurb.
I think there's a lot to relate to this. Star Wars Land? Better than backstage, trees, and a petting zoo. Fantasmic!!? Sounds more like changing for the sake of change, but if we get something better than what came before, then it's a good thing. Guardians of the Galaxy? I don't even know what Disney is doing there.

Rich T

...Fantasmic!!? Sounds more like changing for the sake of change, but if we get something better than what came before, then it's a good thing. Guardians of the Galaxy? I don't even know what Disney is doing there.

I remember what summer evenings in New Orleans Square/Critter Country/Frontierland used to be like, and I'd vote for those unforgettable, beautiful, uncrowded evenings over Fantasmic any day. But beautiful summer evenings don't sell t-shirts... (I love Fantasmic, but hate what it did to the park's crowd situation).

SuddenStorm

I remember what summer evenings in New Orleans Square/Critter Country/Frontierland used to be like, and I'd vote for those unforgettable, beautiful, uncrowded evenings over Fantasmic any day. But beautiful summer evenings don't sell t-shirts... (I love Fantasmic, but hate what it did to the park's crowd situation).

They don't show Fantasmic! nightly in the spring/fall. Plenty of time then to enjoy the nighttime atmosphere, and SoCals weather is good enough year round for it to be pleasant.

Rich T

They don't show Fantasmic! nightly in the spring/fall. Plenty of time then to enjoy the nighttime atmosphere, and SoCals weather is good enough year round for it to be pleasant.
The river area used to be pleasant until Midnight/1:00 AM all summer. Those times are never returning. Things change, I know. But I'd happily give up Fantasmic and all the crowd issues it brought with it (and, again, I do love the show itself).

Last edited:

mickEblu

The river area used to be pleasant until Midnight/1:00 AM all summer. Those times are never returning. Thing change, I know. But I'd happily give up Fantasmic and all the crowd issues it brought with it (and, again, I do love the show itself).

I hear you. I sometimes wonder if these nighttime spectaculars are worth the havoc they create at the park. As I say this I realize that as an AP, I have the privilege of going to the park often but imagine a lot of causal guests would give up fireworks etc.for a more peaceful park at night as well.

Phroobar

I hear you. I sometimes wonder if these nighttime spectaculars are worth the havoc they create at the park. As I say this I realize that as an AP, I have the privilege of going to the park often but imagine a lot of causal guests would give up fireworks etc.for a more peaceful park at night as well.
As an AP I would definitely give up fireworks and parades if I could cross the park easier at night.

mickEblu

As an AP I would definitely give up fireworks and parades if I could cross the park easier at night.

100%. Personally, I ve seen PTN once, MSEP once, RDTC once, Fantasmic once, Original WOC once, Disneyland Forever once and WOC Celebrate once in the last 4 years as an AP. So yea if I had my pick I would choose to give them all up for more peaceful nights as well. I guess the caveat is that I'm able to say that because I've crossed them all off the list.

Practical Pig

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a hydrolater like Sea Base Alpha.

I wish I had the WDW history to know more about this hydrolator stuff. I often read about other people's nostalgia for the experience, and it seems like it was effective "magic", but it's outside of my Disney wheelhouse.

dweezil78

100%. Personally, I ve seen PTN once, MSEP once, RDTC once, Fantasmic once, Original WOC once, Disneyland Forever once and WOC Celebrate once in the last 4 years as an AP. So yea if I had my pick I would choose to give them all up for more peaceful nights as well. I guess the caveat is that I'm able to say that because I've crossed them all off the list.

Don't forget though, the benefit of those nighttime shows is that it sucks a lot of people out of attraction queues!!

CHOX

If they wanted...they could do some amazing stuff with the dry scenes in the Nemo ride. You could fit a pretty advanced animatronic behind that glass (although I have no idea how much room there is...).

The ride as it stands is just so half assed. I like to point towards the angler fish scene and that bright flash that lights up SO MUCH EMPTY SPACE. I appreciate Disney for bringing the Subs back, but it could be so much better!

Travel Junkie

I went last night. I hadn't seen MSEP and RDCT since they returned. Main St. was basically full by 7PM. At 8PM they announced the entire parade route full. I left. I may not ever see them again because DL is absolute madness and even as an AP with plenty of time to camp out if I so choose. It's not worth it.

On a side note the backside of the Guardian's tower looks like a woman of a certain age, trying to look 20 years younger and get noticed by going way overboard on makeup and jewelry.

Practical Pig

On a side note the backside of the Guardian's tower looks like a woman of a certain age, trying to look 20 years younger and get noticed by going way overboard on makeup and jewelry.

The British have, or had an expression for that. "Mutton dressed like lamb."

At least, Agatha Christie was fond of using it. I'm assuming it was cultural.

Phroobar

If they wanted...they could do some amazing stuff with the dry scenes in the Nemo ride. You could fit a pretty advanced animatronic behind that glass (although I have no idea how much room there is...).

The ride as it stands is just so half assed. I like to point towards the angler fish scene and that bright flash that lights up SO MUCH EMPTY SPACE. I appreciate Disney for bringing the Subs back, but it could be so much better!
I remember going through the angler fish room and the work lights were on. Its just a large room with plastic fish suspended from above. Its like they intended them to move but the mechanism was broken. There was even trash on the ground!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom