1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare Concept Art Found for Disneyland Atlantis Expedition

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by mandstaft, Mar 10, 2017.

1. CHOX

CHOX New Member

So there IS trash? Last time I went, it looked like a couple burger wrappers and soda bottles were there.

That's actually one of my favorite parts of the ride, but only because it's a "real animatronic" suspended in water.

Does anyone know which rooms are actually wet scenes? I know the turtles are, angler fish, and I think the graveyard of lost ships. I remember a 2007 era rumor that some of the lost ships were salvaged from the prior ride, but I have a hard time believing they would have been show worthy.

2. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

I think our only hope in June will be to take advantage of any of those dining packages they offer which gives you preferred viewing.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  3. The Mur

The Mur Active Member

You can certainly see the influence of this concept art on Disney Sea!

mandstaft and Practical Pig like this.
  4. 2351metalcloud

2351metalcloud Active Member

5. ght

ght Well-Known Member

The Atlantis subs are actual subs, unless the Cayman one is different than the ones in Hawaii. The one at the Hilton in Waikiki goes down about 150 ft and looks at sunken boats and planes used to make an artificial reef, which is pretty cool to see.

On the subject of the concept art, it would have been amazing though I am having trouble picturing exactly what it would have looked like with a volcano in that spot (not saying it would be bad, just trying to picture it).

6. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

It would have looked very odd with the Matterhorn nearby.

mickEblu and TP2000 like this.
  7. dweezil78

dweezil78 Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder if there were also potential plans to re-work Matterhorn to have it blend in with its new neighbor.

8. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Yeah. But to be fair, a tropical lagoon with atomic submarines has always looked odd right next to the Swiss Matterhorn. Plus Monorail trains looping over and around, because Alweg. And a couple of pretty co-eds in mermaid fishtails. Also note the Skyway going through the middle, and that Richfield Oil eagle soaring on the right.

What's the story they are telling here again??? It's all so confusing.

[​IMG]

Seriously, Walt, how much Gin were you putting into the water coolers at the Imagineering offices?

phruby and Curious Constance like this.
  9. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

Oh for sure! I wasn't suggesting that a volcanic landscape next to the Matterhorn would be an issue. My statement was mostly about competing scales of two mountains adjacent to each other. You could put Big Thunder next to the Matterhorn, but the scale sure would look weird.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    TP2000 likes this.
  10. mandstaft

mandstaft Well-Known Member Original Poster

The area was always "interesting". But I think this tradeoff would have been worth it.

11. DABIGCHEEZ

DABIGCHEEZ Well-Known Member

Disney did not produce the Atlantis subs. The are owned and run by a separate company. They have them at many different locations around the world. I have been on one in Aruba and I think either Cancun or Cozemel. They do submerge to varying depths and are not just a surface floating vessel where you go down a flight of stairs to the seats.

12. Practical Pig

Practical Pig Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.