Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

NormC

Disney is using bottom of the barrel RFID's many of which are not reading correctly in the Rapid Fill implementation CM's are constantly replacing mugs which do not read, Disney's price-only model is failing big time here.
All that is needed is a simple cheap peel and stick RFID tag. I have heard that as long as you set your cup correctly on the shelf they have mostly worked. Most people (myself included) prefer to hold the cup up closer to the spout to minimize splash and if you do this they may not read properly. I believe it is a fault of the reader in the shelf not the simple RFID device in the cup. I have heard of some (not "many") cups being changed though and some without RFID tags were also accidentally given out which of course would not work. That is Disney's fault. They should have changed the design instead of keeping the pool scene. It would have made it easier for CMs to differentiate. I will be there in two weeks with my family of four so I will be sure to report back my experience.

Goofyernmost

If you buy the soda they give you at one of the food courts and use it, it will give you 3 refills and cut you off. And again, it's not that I am "gulping that much" (not that it's your place to judge), I simply shouldn't have to feel restricted when i'm paying over $60 for a counter service meal.
There is a difference between judgment and opinion stating. But, on that same line, if you want more then 3 refills for one meal (and seriously how do you ever get past a rest room) then buy a mug. There is a reason why all is not equal. When you buy a meal at counter service, do you go back for another because you're not full yet and expect it to be free? Three refills, to me, seems perfectly fair. $60.00 is what they may (or may not) charge, I don't remember, but that is what you get for your $60.00... you weren't promised anymore than that.

Next Big Thing

There is a difference between judgment and opinion stating. But, on that same line, if you want more then 3 refills for one meal (and seriously how do you ever get past a rest room) then buy a mug. There is a reason why all is not equal. When you buy a meal at counter service, do you go back for another because you're not full yet and expect it to be free? Three refills, to me, seems perfectly fair. $60.00 is what they may (or may not) charge, I don't remember, but that is what you get for your $60.00... you weren't promised anymore than that.
You are missing the point. It's not about having 3 refills. I can easily get by on that. I just simply don't want to and shouldn't have to feel restricted and feel like I have to plan out my refills so that I don't use them too quickly or else i'll end up screwed. (NOTE: That is just an EXAMPLE.)

Goofyernmost

You are missing the point. It's not about having 3 refills. I can easily get by on that. I just simply don't want to and shouldn't have to feel restricted and feel like I have to plan out my refills so that I don't use them too quickly or else i'll end up screwed. (NOTE: That is just an EXAMPLE.)
Sounds more like an argument against Fastpass+ to me.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Just wanted to chime in on here because it has been a while... I've been reading all of your lovely posts, I just haven't had time to respond, and I probably won't have time until next week. I just wanted to say that the reason a 3rd party was used was simply due to lack of communication and partnering with the MyMagic+ Team. I'm sure they could have found a much more costly solution that would be more effective... the problem with all of that logic though is this problem should just be solved with having someone monitor the drink stations. They need to be cleaned much more often than they currently are being cleaned anyway. Plus, it's better guest service, IMHO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just wanted to chime in on here because it has been a while... I've been reading all of your lovely posts, I just haven't had time to respond, and I probably won't have time until next week. I just wanted to say that the reason a 3rd party was used was simply due to lack of communication and partnering with the MyMagic+ Team. I'm sure they could have found a much more costly solution that would be more effective... the problem with all of that logic though is this problem should just be solved with having someone monitor the drink stations. They need to be cleaned much more often than they currently are being cleaned anyway. Plus, it's better guest service, IMHO.

Plus.. if MM+ is so far behind on all these other elements like.. just getting simple things working... where do we think resort drink stations would be in the work priority queue?? :)

tmstephe

If you buy the soda they give you at one of the food courts and use it, it will give you 3 refills and cut you off. And again, it's not that I am "gulping that much" (not that it's your place to judge), I simply shouldn't have to feel restricted when i'm paying over $60 for a counter service meal.

I think I understand your larger point, but let's be honest - you aren't paying over $60 for a quick service meal... a typical entree, side, dessert, and drink runs $15-20. Included in that price is 96 ounces of your favorite (Coca Cola) beverage. Is that honestly not enough to drink at one meal before you're "cut off"? If you want to make the point that your family is paying over $60 collectively, then you also need to admit that a party of four is entitled to 12 refills included in that $60.

tissandtully

Thanks for the inside info. Do you know if there are plans to expand rapidfill to the few CS restaurants in the parks that have fountain drink stations? It seems to me Disney would be more concerned with these as honestly, they are like "drink all day" stations and never enforced, no signage to say otherwise either.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
All that is needed is a simple cheap peel and stick RFID tag. I have heard that as long as you set your cup correctly on the shelf they have mostly worked. Most people (myself included) prefer to hold the cup up closer to the spout to minimize splash and if you do this they may not read properly. I believe it is a fault of the reader in the shelf not the simple RFID device in the cup. I have heard of some (not "many") cups being changed though and some without RFID tags were also accidentally given out which of course would not work. That is Disney's fault. They should have changed the design instead of keeping the pool scene. It would have made it easier for CMs to differentiate. I will be there in two weeks with my family of four so I will be sure to report back my experience.

TDO's legendary cheap streak bites again because they did not want to invest in retooling the mug production, Since they were changing how system worked at the most basic level the design as many have noted should have been changed dramatically or a giant Disney 2014 logo should have been added. Disney keeps creating systems which require far too much effort on the part of customers and CM's in order to work at all.

When you design systems like this you have to assume NO ONE is going to read the instructions and system should be resilient enough to work under most conditions even if the operator is doing something wrong like holding the cup close to the nozzle so the drink does not splash on clothes.

Disney keeps designing systems which require strict adherence to various arbitrary rules in order for system to work as designed, They remind me of maintenance manuals for German equipment which are full of checklists and everything must be done EXACTLY as the manual states or system will not work.

Thanks for being willing to be 'Man on the Street'.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Thanks for the inside info. Do you know if there are plans to expand rapidfill to the few CS restaurants in the parks that have fountain drink stations? It seems to me Disney would be more concerned with these as honestly, they are like "drink all day" stations and never enforced, no signage to say otherwise either.
No idea actually. My gut says no though, it would just be too costly to put RFIDs on all the cups that the parks use in a day.

Goofyernmost

That's a problem then, isn't it? Considering we're talking about a simple act like getting a drink from a soda fountain and all...
No, because they are two different things. You are talking about something that you have already stated that you don't want, but, for some reason think you should be entitled too. I'm not even sure the 3 fastpass+ allowance is a problem, but, that would be something that one might want, not just think they should have no restrictions on. But enough of this conversation. I have made my point, you have made yours, now it's time to move along. As the commercial says, "Stay thirsty my friend"! :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You forget Guest service is no longer a priority of WDW these days, It's as Jay Rasulo states with the new system we get a larger share of the customer's wallet... I think that says all that needs to be said about the priorities of todays TWDC.

jlsHouston

Well I made it to Fuddruckers and I really enjoyed my rasberry vanilla coke, then I went back and got an orange vanilla coke:eek:, which kind of had a bad aftertaste...
I love that machine...a bunch of selections and then add flavor, it's the coolest dispenser of soda pop I've ever used.
However there were lines...it was lunch hour and the thing is slow or us customers are making decisions when faced with too many choices... and the ice part was really slow on dispensing.

I see someone posted earlier a vendor rep was at one of the All Stars resorts checking out soda machines. I guess that is a good thing from the standpoint Disney management must have told the vendor hey this thing is causing problems...

lazyboy97o

This is yet another example of Disney cutting offerings while maintaining or raising prices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom