Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

jlsHouston

Apples and oranges...

First, remember, this is not supposed to be a token system.. it's intended to be INVISIBLE to the user.. only visible to enforce the rules everyone should be complying with in the first place.

All the rest of your rant just highlights the problem is in the sensitivity of the RFID pickup... not if
- its a band vs cup
- its MM+ vs a island platform
- etc

You're highlighting how you should scrap the system vs just fixing the particular issue. It's like throwing your car away because you have a flat tire. Fix the tire.

One problem is the new cups sometimes do not have the chips in them. I witnessed a CM replacing some mugs for that reason at WL in November. Another thing I noticed is if you sit the cup down and then push the the button the sensors read and the soda comes out (most of the time). Unfortunately alot of us are use to holding our cups up and pushing the button because it prevents splashing...

This happened to me at GF, BW Bakery and WL with my cups in November. I finally got the hang of it, but was annoyed by the time I did.

I am not any kind of an expert on the sensor technology used in the cups and the cup platforms at the machines but I kind of think the entire system they implemented is a poor one and Disney would have had so many less issues and fewer unhappy guests had they gone with a rapid fill set up that was proven to work.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
One problem is the new cups sometimes do not have the chips in them. I witnessed a CM replacing some mugs for that reason at WL in November. Another thing I noticed is if you sit the cup down and then push the the button the sensors read and the soda comes out (most of the time). Unfortunately alot of us are use to holding our cups up and pushing the button because it prevents splashing...

This happened to me at GF, BW Bakery and WL with my cups in November. I finally got the hang of it, but was annoyed by the time I did.

I am not any kind of an expert on the sensor technology used in the cups and the cup platforms at the machines but I kind of think the entire system they implemented is a poor one and Disney would have had so many less issues and fewer unhappy guests had they gone with a rapid fill set up that was proven to work.

On splashing, Wearing your tonic is so grown up :)

disney4life2008

interesting update: i am sitting in sports food court and there is a guy (younger) i presume from the company that designed the machines. he is sitting near the machines running data i assume on usage. he also turned off the time limit and ran more data. potentially they are reprogramming the machines. he did turn the time limit back on though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
interesting update: i am sitting in sports food court and there is a guy (younger) i presume from the company that designed the machines. he is sitting near the machines running data i assume on usage. he also turned off the time limit and ran more data. potentially they are reprogramming the machines. he did turn the time limit back on though.

Spock raises eyebrow 'Fascinating'

Next Big Thing

Wow, this thread got way off onto the beaten path. People saying they're glad Disney put the system in? Thinking it's stealing to go up for a refill? What the hell? Disney is screwing everyone over with this and all people can argue about is ethics about stealing from McDonalds because some fake Doctor decides he wants to troll around a bit (or maybe he's being serious, but whatever...)?

Point is, this is just a dumb system. People who bring old mugs or whatever were a problem and I consider that stealing, but if they give me a cup, the refill machine is out for everyone and i'm having lunch, I expect to be able to have the freedom to feel like I can get as many refills as I want. That doesn't mean I want to continuously fill up a mug and dump it down the drain. No. I just want to FEEL like I have the freedom to go up and get a refill anytime I want, no restrictions.

Right now, Disney is restricting every last one of you, not only when it comes to RapidFill, but throughout your vacation as a whole with MyMagic+. This isn't something we should be happy about or defending.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Well, by then Disney will be employing precogs that will know beforehand that a person intends to steal pop and be able to stop that before it occurs. Maybe they can just deliver a strong shock through the MB, with a loud announcement from it to not steal, so as not to have to employ any more CMs.
Although maybe most or all the all the CMs will be robots. It will be Westworld Disney!:eek:

Maybe they can implement this plan for guests who intend to use flash photography on rides too! :devilish:

Hot Lava

Maybe they can implement this plan for guests who intend to use flash photography on rides too! :devilish:

I am so on board with this! To heck with the pop machines, THIS is the precog priority. This and the line cutters.

I guess they could also be used to determine if people using the GAC are actually eligible to do so.

Goofyernmost

Point is, this is just a dumb system. People who bring old mugs or whatever were a problem and I consider that stealing, but if they give me a cup, the refill machine is out for everyone and i'm having lunch, I expect to be able to have the freedom to feel like I can get as many refills as I want. That doesn't mean I want to continuously fill up a mug and dump it down the drain. No. I just want to FEEL like I have the freedom to go up and get a refill anytime I want, no restrictions.

Right now, Disney is restricting every last one of you, not only when it comes to RapidFill, but throughout your vacation as a whole with MyMagic+. This isn't something we should be happy about or defending.
Am I confused? When did this system start not allowing you to have refills (on new mugs) or limiting the number on the paper cups. This system isn't to deny people of their blessed refills and to my knowledge unless there is a technical glitch, it gives them all they want. What is it a two minute wait between refills? If you are gulping down that much liquid in that time, you may have serious problems that Disney cannot fix. Glitches, however, can be fixed and will be, I have no doubt.

Next Big Thing

Am I confused? When did this system start not allowing you to have refills (on new mugs) or limiting the number on the paper cups. This system isn't to deny people of their blessed refills and to my knowledge unless there is a technical glitch, it gives them all they want. What is it a two minute wait between refills? If you are gulping down that much liquid in that time, you may have serious problems that Disney cannot fix. Glitches, however, can be fixed and will be, I have no doubt.
If you buy the soda they give you at one of the food courts and use it, it will give you 3 refills and cut you off. And again, it's not that I am "gulping that much" (not that it's your place to judge), I simply shouldn't have to feel restricted when i'm paying over $60 for a counter service meal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As we have seen Disney has a really bad case of 'Not Invented Here' and had Disney looked at other RFID enabled soda systems which DO work without constant employee intevention they would have had a much better system.

Instead they looked inward to their inner Sheldon and came up with Rapid Fill., Now they will need to replace rapid fill with something which actually works RELIABLY...

uhh.. rapidfill isn't Disney's - it's a 3rd party they brought in.

NormC

Thinking it's stealing to go up for a refill? What the hell? Disney is screwing everyone over with this and all people can argue about is ethics about stealing from McDonalds because some fake Doctor decides he wants to troll around a bit (or maybe he's being serious, but whatever...)?
No one said going up for a refill was stealing. Bringing a cup into a McDonalds and filling it up without buying a meal is stealing. Bringing anything up to the drink station other than the cup you purchased for the current trip is stealing. (unless you have one of the cherished lifetime cups). Milk jugs, water bottles, big gulp cups have all been witnessed at Disney resorts. That is stealing.
Refills are the only reason to buy one of the cups.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Disney is using bottom of the barrel RFID's many of which are not reading correctly in the Rapid Fill implementation CM's are constantly replacing mugs which do not read, Disney's price-only model is failing big time here.

Reminds me of the scene in K-19 where Liam Neeson is going ballistic about a failed missile launch attempt, This is what you get when you ask a 3 kopeck insulator to do the job of a 40 kopeck insulator.

Disney really needed to use .20 cent tags instead they are using .05 cent tags.

All my carping is directed at lighting a fire under Disney to return to the customer service standards they set for THEMSELVES 20 or more years ago.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom