Rank the Orlando 7

BalooChicago

I've never been, nor have any interest in going to, Universal, IOA, or Seaworld. I never have enough time to spend at the WDW parks, and can't imagine spending my limited vacation time anywhere else. Last trip I didn't even make it to AK.

1. MK
2. Epcot
3. DHS
4. AK

10. Anything else.

lbrad

1- Magic Kingdom
2- Epcot
3- Islands of Adventure
4- Disney HS
5-Sea World
6-Animal Kingdom
7- Universal Studios - only because I've never been...no desire

GatorGuy

2. Animal Kingdom (tie)
2. Magic Kingdom (tie)
3. Islands of Adventure
4. Disney's Hollywood Studios
5. Epcot
6. Universal Studios
7. Sea World

docandsix

Sorry, but I have to ask - How is the theming of IOA more disjointed and abrupt than the theming of the Magic Kingdom?

In the Magic Kingdom, Imagineering went out of its way to smooth the transitions from one land to another and to isolate one land from another by avoiding visual intrusions. Some of these efforts have been ignored or neglected over the years, but most remain intact and represent subtle and occasionally obvious choices regarding colors, architecture, and other details. "The Field Guide" book covers this repeatedly. From what I saw of IOA, there was no such effort at all. Marvel land, bang! Toonland, bang! Jurassic Park, bang!, etc.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
In the Magic Kingdom, Imagineering went out of its way to smooth the transitions from one land to another and to isolate one land from another by avoiding visual intrusions. Some of these efforts have been ignored or neglected over the years, but most remain intact and represent subtle and occasionally obvious choices regarding colors, architecture, and other details. "The Field Guide" book covers this repeatedly. From what I saw of IOA, there was no such effort at all. Marvel land, bang! Toonland, bang! Jurassic Park, bang!, etc.

It's funny because I see the Magic Kingdom the same way. Now, Tinkerbell has a meet and greet in Adventureland for goodness sake. So now Disney has characters crossing from their homeland to a completely unrelated area.

captainkidd

Original Poster
From what I saw of IOA, there was no such effort at all. Marvel land, bang! Toonland, bang! Jurassic Park, bang!, etc.

Having been to IoA a number of times now, I can assure you, there's most definitely a gap in between the lands. Took me a while to see it, but when I slowed down and took a look at the park, I could see the transitions. Some can argue that the theming of the Magic Kingdom's makes no sense. An early 20th century main street that leads to a 14th century castle? What does Goofy have to do with Frontierland? Why is there a dance party in the middle of Tomorrowland?

wolf359

1. Magic Kingdom
2. EPCOT
3. Animal Kingdom
4. Hollywood Studios

I suppose I could use You Tube videos or just copy what others have said about the other three parks to form my opinion of the rest, but instead I'll only comment on what I've seen since they're the only four I care about.

worldfanatic

1. Epcot
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Magic Kingdom
4. Islands of Adventure (beats HS only because of Forbidden Journey)
5. Hollywood Studios

(Haven't been to any others)

Lucky

1. Animal Kingdom
2. Magic Kingdom
3. Epcot
4. Islands of Adventure
5. Sea World
6. Universal Studios
7. Hollywood Studios

Jeff456

1. Epcot
2. Magic Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Islands of Adventure
5. Animal Kingdom
6. Universal Studios
7. Sea World

JohnLocke

1. Magic Kingdom - It's just not really getting down there without going to Magic Kingdom, and it's easily the best park of the bunch.

2. Epcot - It's a great park as well. Almost on the level of the Magic Kingdom, but suffers from not having the same level of attractions, imo.

3. Universal Orlando - This one is a tough one, in many ways it's not as good as it once was at all, but it seems like it has improved, at least a bit, over the past 3 or 4 years, so I'll give it the higher placement.

4. Animal Kingdom - I'll give it the edge over DHS simply for theming, just out does the other by a bit, while having one of the best rides in any park.

5. MGM/Hollywood Studios - It has two of the best rides in the parks, but I really feel it could use a bit more work to even everything out, and have a better distinguishment between lands.

6. Islands of Adventure - This one could be higher, but I've only been once and have not seen Harry Potter yet, or experienced it outside of the first year or 2 opening surge in attendance.

7. Sea World - never have been.

MattyFresh

1) Magic Kingdom
2) Epcot
3) Islands of Adventures
4) Animal Kingdom
5) Hollywood Studios
6) Universal Studios
7) Sea World

Walt Disney1955

Good thread. Here we go.

Magic Kingdom
Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom
Sea World

By the way I adore Sea World such a great park to visit. Orlando just has a wealth of theme parks to choose from it's scary

Sirenia

1. Epcot (my favorite)
2. Magic Kingdom (no trip to Orlando is complete for me without a visit)
3. Islands of Adventure (WWoHP is AWESOME!)
4. SeaWorld (I love this place. So many beautiful animals)
5. Hollywood Studios (some of my favorite attractions are here...but this park needs a big update)
6. Animal Kingdom (I wish that there was more to this park....a lot more.)
7. Universal Studios (I was just here in Nov and May....very very sad empty and beaten down. Needs some TLC)

acishere

1. Epcot (World Showcase pulls it ahead)
2. Animal Kingdom (So well themed, it should be one. Just needs to be more than a half day park.)
3. Magic Kingdom (I have a feeling I am committing some horrible crime against this board putting this at 3.)
4. Universal Studios (Everything Hollywood Studios should be)
5. Islands of Adventure (I haven't been to the WWoHP yet so I'm ranking this on everything but the most popular section)
6. Hollywood Studios (4 great rides, a good nightcap show, and Indiana Jones.)

Unofficial 7. Sea World (I haven't been here since I was about 5 and remember nothing so don't count this in my rankings)

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
1. EPCOT
2. Universal Studios Florida
3. Islands of Adventure
4. Magic Kingdom
5. SeaWorld Orlando
6. Animal Kingdom
7. Hollywood Studios

David S.

SHORT ANSWER (for the convenience of the OP in counting votes)

1) Magic Kingdom
2) Animal Kingdom
3) Epcot
(Busch Gardens, if question included all 8 major Central FL theme parks)
4) Sea World
5) Disney's Hollywood Studios
6) Islands Of Adventure
7) Universal Studios

LONG ANSWER (for those who enjoy detailed explanations, and because I enjoy writing them!)

1) Magic Kingdom - While I prefer Disneyland due to all the classics it has that are missing from MK, and am still disappointed about the loss of Toontown and impending doom of the Snow White darkride, this is still, for my taste, the finest park in Florida and second finest in the country.

Iconic, cute, whimsical, heartwarming, musical classics like It's A Small World, Splash Mountain, Many Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan's Flight, Mickey's Philharmagic, Country Bear Jamboree, and the triumphant return of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room give this park a style of dark rides and attractions that is quintessentially "Disney". Add in the fun and uniquely themed Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain coasters for awesome thrills.

The nighttime magic of MSEP and Wishes solidifies the ranking, as do all my other favorite attractions like Snow White, Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, Cinderella's Golden Carousel, Carousel Of Progress, Peoplemover, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Riverboat, Train, and Horse Cars.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Disney Animated Classic films and characters, and since these are represented by so much of the park's attractions and entertainment, this guarantees my interest in the subject matter found throughout most of the park.

2) Animal Kingdom - AK is the most immersive, best-themed zoological park I've ever visited, and I've been to plenty. I am an animal lover and have a bias towards animal parks, so this will affect my rankings. Some may scoff at the small number of attractions here (around 20, with many of those walking trails), but for my tastes, there is no "filler" here (other than perhaps the "off-the-shelf" feel of Dinorama). But most everything else in the park is "must do regularly" for my taste.

The Safari is AMAZING and the best ride of it's kind I've ever experienced. Broken yeti or not, I love Everest as well. It's Tough To Be A Bug is the exact type of cute, whimsical, character-driven show I love that Disney does better than anybody, and I also enjoy Dinosaur very much as well. The Flights Of Wonder, Finding Nemo, and Lion King shows are all top notch. The Jammin' Jungle parade is my favorite Disney daytime parade.

Most of the remaining attractions are animal trails and exhibits, but I LOVE this sort of thing and can spend hours a day just on the self-guided animal exhibits, which are all brilliantly themed, as is the entire park. I'm a big fan of the Affection Section contact yard at Rafiki's Planet Watch, and enjoy getting to know the goats, sheep, pigs, donkeys, llamas, and Miss Kitty the dexter cow, who is my favorite! I also love the park's music loops, and the sublime and beautiful Tree of Life is my favorite Disney park icon.

3) Epcot - This goes head-to-head with Animal Kingdom for second fave, but I give the nod to AK slightly, in more moods.

I absolutely LOVE the Seas pavilion, which gives the park a nice live animal presence to help keep it close to AK in my rankings. I can easily spend a few hours a day enjoying the manatees, dolphins, and all the fish found in both the gigantic tank and several smaller ones.

The Figment, Nemo, and Gran Fiesta Tour dark rides are my favorite attractions in the park, and provide that uber-cute, character-based, musical, whimsical type of quintessentially "Disney" type of attraction I love so much. Maelstrom, Universe of Energy, and Living With the Land are solid favorites as well, as is Captain EO, Soarin', and Impressions de France.

I have to take a few points off for many World Showcase pavilions lacking attractions, and the cuts that have led to the loss of some of my favorite World Showcase performers. The loss of both the Lights of Winter and the character tree-lighting show has taken some of the sparkle off of the park during the holidays, as well - all of which help allow AK to squeak by Epcot for second place.

4a) Busch Gardens - Hands down my favorite non-Disney park in Florida, and it's only about an hours drive down I-4 from WDW. While the theming is not quite as immersive and lush as AK, this is still one of the finest zoological parks in the country, IMO. Although Rhino Rally is nowhere near as long, epic, or good as AK's Safari, the Serengeti Plain itself is a very impressive habitat with many free-roaming animals, and there are several ways to observe these animals - Rhino Rally, the Skyride, and the Railroad all provide views from different perspectives, and there are some overlooks on the walking trails as well.

The park also has other well-done animal habitats and trails. The new Walkabout Way exhibit is AMAZING, as you can actually pet kangaroos and wallabies, and feed them right out of you hand! The Jambo Junction area featuring the parks Animal Ambassadors is also a favorite, as you can sometimes hand-feed the flamingos here!

The park also has some nice shows, my favorite of which is Critter Castaways, which features cute, complex behaviors by a wide variety of animals, many of whom have been rescued from shelters. Also, the production in the Moroccan Palace Theatre is always top-notch, although the park loses some points for recently ending the run of KaTonga, which was for my money the finest live musical I've ever seen at a theme park.

Lastly, from a pure thrills point of view, the park has the finest collection of coasters in the state, highlighted by my favorite, Gwazi, which is currently the only operating wooden coaster in Florida; and Shiekra, the "dive machine" with two 90-degree straight-down drops, the first from 200 feet!

4) Sea World - This park wins a squeaker over Hollywood Studios, due to my love of animals and greater consistency in keeping my attention (I love the Disney-based content at the Studios, but some of the attractions based on non-Disney properties have a harder time keeping my attention for repeat viewings compared to the Sea World animals).

The shows at Sea World are all AMAZING! My favorite is Pets Ahoy, which features dogs, cats, birds, mice, a pig, a skunk, etc. performing AMAZINGLY cute and complex behaviors! Most of these animals have been rescued from shelters by trainer Joel Slavin, who also produces this show and the similar Critter Castaways show at Busch Gardens. The 3 other animal shows are fantastic as well, including Blue Horizons (featuring dolphins), my second favorite in the park.

The park also has some excellent animal exhibits for manatees, penguins, dolphins, sea lions, sea turtles, and several other fish, birds, and marine mammals. Wild Arctic is a major highlight of the park. Beginning with a simulator journey to the Arctic, the postride exhibit area recreates a well-themed Arctic wildlife viewing/research station, complete with beluga whales, polar bears, and walruses. The theming thankfully extends to the interior temperature, which is kept at a comfortably cool, PERFECT, 60 degrees F at all times!

The only "weak link" for my taste at Sea World are the coasters. Unlike at WDW and Busch Gardens, which have some drop/airtime oriented coasters in their collection, the major coasters at Sea World are all about loops/inversions and shoulder harness restraints, and are quite similar to the multilooper genre of coasters found at Six Flags and Cedar Fair chain parks. I simply don't enjoy this genre as much as coasters based on drops, camelbacks, airtime, and lapbars. Wooden coasters have these preferred characteristics, and so does Disney's mountain range!

5) Disney's Hollywood Studios - I like the theming of the boulevards near the front better than the "backlot" theming. Conceptually, this park doesn't work for me as well as the other Disney parks. The idea of showing the "technical" side of how movies work is interesting, but it reminds you that they are created illusions. Whereas at the Magic Kingdom, the premise is that these things are REAL and the characters are REAL - but at the studios, they are "stars" and "actors". This premise leads to much of the architecture and theming throughout the park being relegated to bland "soundstages" that are not as aesthetically pleasing for me as the architecture and natural landscapes found at the other WDW parks. Having said that, there are some great attractions here that I really enjoy. But it's a park I think of more for the individual attractions that I love more than the sense of the SUM of the park being greater than it's parts, which is more the case at the other WDW parks.

Being a HUGE fan of Walt and Disney animation, my favorites here are not surprisingly, the attractions that deal with the Disney animated films and characters. Fantasmic! is a huge favorite and a day here would NOT feel complete without this show as a nightcap. I also LOVE Walt Disney: One Man's Dream, Magic Of Disney Animation, and the Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Playhouse Disney shows. Of the attractions based on non-Disney properties, I love Great Movie Ride. I'm not a fan of most of the film genres represented in the ride, but the Mary Poppins scene and the Wizard of Oz finale more than make up for this! I also really enjoy Star Tours, and I enjoy R&R Coaster and the Tower for their thrills.

6) Islands Of Adventure - I appreciate the well-done theming here, but unlike at Disney, I am not a big fan of most of the characters, stories, and properties represented by the attractions. For instance, I'm not a big super hero or Potter fan. I like toons, but dislike water rides that get you SOAKED, so Toon Lagoon has nothing to offer me. I like dinosaurs, but after getting to experience quite a bit of them in two WDW attractions, it makes seeing them in Jurrassic Park a lot less "urgent". My favorite land here is actually the colorful, whimsical, Seuss Landing, with it's Cat In the Hat dark ride. But for all the talk of IOA being a "modern MK for a new era", I just don't see it that way. For one thing, the coasters here are the same type of four-across multiloopers found at Six Flags parks around the country. And while at Disney the coasters queues and the coasters themselves are heavilly themed, at IOA the coaster queues are themed, but not so much the coasters themselves! And although the park does have a few dark rides and immersive storytelling experiences (such as Cat In the Hat, Spiderman, and Potter), there seems to be a MUCH greater thrills to dark ride/story ratio here than at MK.

7) Universal Studios - EASILY my least favorite park in Florida. Has the same bland type of studio theming found at Hollywood Studios, with the biggest difference being that almost NONE of the properties represented here interest me! Whereas Hollywood Studios has the beloved Disney characters and films to draw from, and other properties I enjoy like Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, and Muppets, Uni goes for "hip" and modern irreverent things like the Simpsons, which I strongly dislike, and Shrek, which I dislike, although not quite as strongly. I'm also not a fan of Terminator, Jaws, horror, and although I can appreciate the genious of Hitchcock and Lucy, they worked in genres I'm generally not interested in. And then we come to the various disaster-themed attractions that Uni specializes in, which are again, not my cup of tea. And Fear Factor Live? Seriously? ;)

I will say that I absolutely LOVED the ET ride, and enjoyed the animal show, but these are not enough to sell me on the entire park. To be fair I must admit that I haven't been since the Rip Rocket coaster was added, and I know there is a good chance I will enjoy it - especially since it doesn't have inversions and is more about drops.

But taking the 2 Uni parks as a whole, they have neither the naturalistic animal-based vibe that I love about the Busch Gardens/Sea World parks (both included on one annual pass), and that is also found with even greater theming at Animal Kingdom. And they also lack the "warm and fuzzy", shiny, happy, musical, cute, heartwarming pixie dust vibe that is found so much throughout the WDW parks (especially in the MK), and is a big part of the reason why Disney parks are my favorite. So the Uni parks are the "odd parks out" in the Florida market for me, and the only ones I've never felt the need to get AP's for. In fact, I liked the now-closed Cypress Gardens Adventure Park better than both Uni parks, and had an annual pass there as well (in addition to WDW and Busch Gardens/Sea World).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom