Rank the Disney parks you have attended from best to "least"

bryanfze55

1. That's not my main beef with it, honestly. Tokyo Disneyland, for example, is even less original and more derivative than MK if we're being technical, with the opening day architecture and design obviously inferior, yet I'd even rather be there than MK.
2. I'll grant you the now-MK exclusives. Trouble is, Tokyo has better versions of the three other rides you just named. I'd rather have a better ride than a better queue, which is generally the case with DL (and MK needs those themed queues more than any other park to distract you from how long it's taking you to actually get on those rides). I'll grant you that MK has from day 1 had to share resources, but all of WDW's parks are underbuilt for the crowds they serve, and I'm absolutely going to ream them for that, because they chose to invent FP+ to try and hide the lack of ride capacity, instead of taking the money they have to do something about it.
3. Again, on paper, I agree with you. But when the WDW parks are deliberately operated to prioritize cost savings and so you have attractions, food venues, etc. intentionally being operated below their full capacity or shuttered, that changes the equation. The other parks are operated properly or are closer to it than the FL parks.

On paper, the differences don't seem profound, but they become profound experiencing them in person.

Can’t really argue with any of that. It is frustrating how Disney has treated its premier resort. At the same time, it’s the cheapest one for me to visit so I try to see SOME silver lining...

Also, I’m sure you’re correct in saying that Splash, Mansion and Jungle are better in Tokyo. I was only comparing them to the Disneyland versions, as that’s my only frame of reference. Should’ve specified that I guess.

PostScott

Yep, it is better. I think most would agree, though not all.

I just think it’s odd when someone says Disneyland is #1 and MK is #10 or something. The disparity isn’t that huge. That leads me to assume people are considering things like wait times and convenience. Yes, that does affect the experience of the theme park but not the quality of the theme park itself. So I pretty much just consider theming, immersion, and attractions when I rank them.

Don’t get me wrong - I prefer DL and would spend a day there over any other park. I just gotta stand up for MK, because I think it’s kind of a punching bag... which is a shame, because it is a well-themed park that was really great once upon a time. But poor decisions by Disney have really made it a logistical nightmare. That reflects more on the Disney company than the quality of the park itself. It has great potential... sigh.
I guess it is weird that since theyre so similar then they would be closer together on the rating list. But I never go to WDW for magic kingdom. I wouldn't pay all this money to go to the same park I have 45 minutes away. I do go during my trip but only for a few e-tickets and the peoplemover/philarmagic. Wow I wish we could have those attractions at DL. Ik we have philarmagic but its 10x better in MK. Anyways, even though it's at the bottom of my list doesn't make it a bad park in any way. I'd go to MK any day over like Six Flags St. Louis or Worlds of Fun, but when compared to the other Disney Parks I've been to it doesn't really sit well. And yeah, Magic Kingdom does have alot of potential but they won't change it because most people will go to Magic Kingdom than DL.

manmythlegend

I could see liking DLP more than DL if you're a fan of themed design. It's easily the best designed castle park and the most beautiful.

I will agree that DLP is pretty but isn't there more to it than just design? Going through people's rankings, it seems like everyone is using a different grading scale and many people seem to be leaving out food and # of attractions. DLP is horrible in both of those categories.

It's the most frustrating park to experience and the most difficult park to get everything done that you want to do. By that metric, I completely understand ranking it rock bottom.

How is it the most difficult park to get everything done that you want to do? Explain this. Are you saying it's hard to get everything done in a single day? I would argue that's a good thing. If a person can easily get everything done in a single day (like Disney Hong Kong), I think the park is a huge disappointment.

Also, where are these good cheap food options? I've never found them.

Well as someone else mentioned, CHH is a great option. I love their fried shrimp basket. Be Our Guest is a great affordable lunch option if you're able to score a reservation. Casey's Corner has good dogs.

Also, is Disneyland Paris’ food as bad as they say?

It's horrible. Many of the food options just don't appeal to me. Cost is expensive. For a culinary city like Paris, there is just no excuse for this.

Yes it is. Worst food in the world, easily, and the most frustrating to experience to the quantity of closed restaurants or restaurants that close early for arbitrary reasons. That said, the main park has some of the best restaurants in the world for theming (Walt's especially is fabulous). But yeah, a lot of people will stick to McDonald's, Five Guys, and Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village and given the quality of most of the food in park, I can't blame them.

I went to Walt's in 2012 and agree that it's a nice place with good food. However, I tried to again in 2017 because I wanted their burger. It was 50 euros. That's absolutely outrageous!!! I just took a look and seems like the burger is no longer on the menu which makes sense because nobody should be paying 50 euros for a freaking burger with waffle fries.

1. That's not my main beef with it, honestly. Tokyo Disneyland, for example, is even less original and more derivative than MK if we're being technical, with the opening day architecture and design obviously inferior, yet I'd even rather be there than MK.

So I like TDL very much. But you're sort of contradicting yourself here. Earlier you said MK is hard to get everything done. My God man, have you tried dealing with the crowds at TDL? Horrendous. Makes it very, very, very difficult to get everything done. TDL has some nice single rider lines which make it a bit easier to ride but if you're in a large party, forget about it. Almost the entirety of your day will be spent waiting in crowds. And don't even get me started on their new electronic fastpass system which they've deliberately designed to favor Japanese people over foreigners. Frankly, it's disgraceful. That being said, I still have the Tokyo parks ranked high on my list.

Yep, it is better. I think most would agree, though not all.

I just think it’s odd when someone says Disneyland is #1 and MK is #10 or something. The disparity isn’t that huge. That leads me to assume people are considering things like wait times and convenience. Yes, that does affect the experience of the theme park but not the quality of the theme park itself. So I pretty much just consider theming, immersion, and attractions when I rank them.

Don’t get me wrong - I prefer DL and would spend a day there over any other park. I just gotta stand up for MK, because I think it’s kind of a punching bag... which is a shame, because it is a well-themed park that was really great once upon a time. But poor decisions by Disney have really made it a logistical nightmare. That reflects more on the Disney company than the quality of the park itself. It has great potential... sigh.

I agree with you. For me, DL is a clear #1. It's the absolute best theme park in the world with tons of rides, a fantastic FP system. Food options are great like the fried chicken and corn dogs. I also love how convenient the park is so that you can stay at cheap hotels nearby and easily walk to the park.

But MK and DL are very similar. DL has some clear advantages that I've described above but growing up MK was always my favorite. Putting a park like DHS above MK doesn't make much sense to me. DHS is my least favorite U.S. park by far.

Animaniac93-98

Quality in what respect? MK has a vastly superior ride lineup and much better food options. I've been to HKDL twice. It's park you finish in 4-5 hours.

That was not my experience and I’d certainly prefer to spend 5 hours at HKDL than spend the equivalent in MK and deal with it’s crowds, minimal staffing, FP+ and pay more to do so.[/QUOTE]

bryanfze55

I would argue MK has a superior attraction lineup and theming, but I’d prefer to spend the day at my local Six Flags. It’s cheaper, and I don’t have to deal with crowds and FP+.

manmythlegend

That was not my experience and I’d certainly prefer to spend 5 hours at HKDL than spend the equivalent in MK and deal with it’s crowds, minimal staffing, FP+ and pay more to do so.

What do you mean it wasn't your experience? HKDL basically only has 3 worthwhile rides; Space, Mystic Manor, and Big Grizzly.

manmythlegend

I would argue MK has a superior attraction lineup and theming, but I’d prefer to spend the day at my local Six Flags. It’s cheaper, and I don’t have to deal with crowds and FP+.

I get the FP+ complaints. I hate it. But that isn't a problem unique to MK, that is a problem that applies to all the parks at WDW. But, at least with MK, they have a ton of rides so it's much easier to actually get FP throughout the day.

bryanfze55

Hong Kong looks like a charming little park... a lot like the OG Disneyland. I would never go to Hong Kong just for Disney, but I’m sure I would enjoy a day there. Too bad it doesn’t have Splash or Pirates (my two favorite rides).

Shanghai looks terrible. It looks cold and barren with one amazing unique ride (Pirates). Tron represents a dystopian version of tomorrow; which is the exact opposite of what Walt wanted for Tomorrowland. Too bad they’re bringing it stateside. Just keep it the hell out of Disneyland.

PiratesMansion

I will agree that DLP is pretty but isn't there more to it than just design? Going through people's rankings, it seems like everyone is using a different grading scale and many people seem to be leaving out food and # of attractions. DLP is horrible in both of those categories.

How is it the most difficult park to get everything done that you want to do? Explain this. Are you saying it's hard to get everything done in a single day? I would argue that's a good thing. If a person can easily get everything done in a single day (like Disney Hong Kong), I think the park is a huge disappointment.

Well as someone else mentioned, CHH is a great option. I love their fried shrimp basket. Be Our Guest is a great affordable lunch option if you're able to score a reservation. Casey's Corner has good dogs.

So I like TDL very much. But you're sort of contradicting yourself here. Earlier you said MK is hard to get everything done. My God man, have you tried dealing with the crowds at TDL? Horrendous. Makes it very, very, very difficult to get everything done. TDL has some nice single rider lines which make it a bit easier to ride but if you're in a large party, forget about it. Almost the entirety of your day will be spent waiting in crowds. And don't even get me started on their new electronic fastpass system which they've deliberately designed to favor Japanese people over foreigners. Frankly, it's disgraceful. That being said, I still have the Tokyo parks ranked high on my list.

Going point by point.

1. That was just my speculation. That poster never returned to elaborate and explain why they they ranked DLP better. Paris may not have as many attractions as the US castle parks or Tokyo, but it has more than either of the Chinese parks, and the best attractions in Paris are stunning. I could see a case being made for Paris' attraction lineup, though it's not one I'd personally make.
2. You're making it sound like I'm penalizing the park for having too much to do. I'm not. Disneyland has many more attractions than MK does, and if that was my metric, DL would be ranked below. But if you compare MK to the other castle parks, you'll notice that its wait times are often double that of, say, DL. And part of that (certainly not all of it) is a result of how MK operates. FP+ is everywhere and in many places it doesn't belong, raising wait times. Also raising the wait times? Deliberately operating attractions below capacity to save a buck. I'm not saying the other parks don't do this, but it is noticeably more blatant at WDW. Other parks also get very crowded (Shanghai, Tokyo) but unless you're doing something stupid like going to Tokyo during a weekend it's way easier to actually do everything you want to do. Right now you are basically REQUIRED to commit multiple days to MK to do everything you want to do, or at least I find it's that way for me, and everything takes longer than it should. Longer than it does anywhere else.
3. Be our Guest used to be good but I found the food quality to have dropped considerably between my first visit in 2014 and my subsequent visit in 2017. Not a hot dog person. CHH doesn't mean much if you don't like seafood. Also, if "good food" in a theme park is one seafood restaurant and hot dogs, maybe that's indicative that things actually aren't great.
4. I've never struggled to get everything done in the Tokyo parks, including on weekend visits. You just have to get there early and have a plan. And Tokyo runs their parks properly, and they have an excess of cast members and guests that know what they're supposed to do, which makes a huge difference, and makes being in those massive crowds much more bearable. I agree the app thing is frustrating, but boy doesn't the Olympics give them a great goal post to get that English version of the app out? And hey, you can now actually reserve restaurants in English as of a few months ago, which was unheard of before. So I'm sure it's coming. Also, around 95% of their visitors are domestic and prioritizing Japanese visitors over others is hardly unique to TDR; it's cultural. Disney has no incentive to push the issue because they don't have an ownership or operating stake in the resort and would rather you didn't know TDR existed because it makes them look bad in most other respects.

I'd rather be in Tokyo than at any of the other parks regardless.

Quality in what respect? MK has a vastly superior ride lineup and much better food options. I've been to HKDL twice. It's park you finish in 4-5 hours.
Again, maybe that's just you? In 2010, sure. Last year? I was there a day and a half and wished I had more time.
HK may be lacking quantity, but I don't think it's lacking quality, personally.

Last edited:

manmythlegend

Hong Kong looks like a charming little park... a lot like the OG Disneyland. I would never go to Hong Kong just for Disney, but I’m sure I would enjoy a day there. Too bad it doesn’t have Splash or Pirates (my two favorite rides).

Shanghai looks terrible. It looks cold and barren with one amazing unique ride (Pirates). Tron represents a dystopian version of tomorrow; which is the exact opposite of what Walt wanted for Tomorrowland. Too bad they’re bringing it stateside. Just keep it the hell out of Disneyland.

Haha Tron is one of my favorite rides in the world. I basically went to Shanghai specifically to ride it. Pirates was cool too.

bryanfze55

I get the FP+ complaints. I hate it. But that isn't a problem unique to MK, that is a problem that applies to all the parks at WDW. But, at least with MK, they have a ton of rides so it's much easier to actually get FP throughout the day.

I was being facetious. Of course I would rather spend a day at MK than Six Flags.

I don’t mind planning my Fastpasses two months in advance. Not at all. The issue with FP+ is that it creates enormous standby lines... Everywhere!! The only way around this is being very strategic, which can be a PITA. In order to have a good day at MK, you have to be willing to do things like PhilharMagic, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, the Riverboat, the Railroad, HoP... a lot of people don’t want to do those things, but if you enjoy them like I do, MK can be an enjoyable day. A lot of people just want to jump from E ticket to E ticket. Can’t do that at WDW... but that’s why I appreciate that MK has all those extra things to do that don’t require a massive wait. Hollywood Studios, on the other hand.... now that’s a bad experience!

PiratesMansion

HKDL's a wonderful little park, and Hong Kong is actually my favorite city in the world. Such an interesting blend of east and west! The park doesn't have a ton, but what is there is well done. And it's so chill and laid back compared to all of the other parks, which was extremely helpful on jetlag day! Hopefully all that's gone down in the last year or so won't affect the expansion plans much. And of course, there's always Mystic Manor...

Shanghai's a bit odd in look and feel, but I can't stress enough that a lot of the complaints people make from the internet don't register as much in person. It's an interesting and unique take on the castle park that sometimes really works and sometimes doesn't at all (their Fantasyland, aside from the wonderfully improved Peter Pan, is a travesty). Tron is fun and super instagramable but definitely overrated. Pirates is a genuine revelation. Food was great, albeit terribly overpriced for the locals. The right side of the park is beautifully designed. Pity they shuttered their amazing Tarzan show, but they still have their Pirates stunt show, which has stunning moments. I think it'll be really interesting to see where the park will go over the next decade.

manmythlegend

Going point by point.

1. That was just my speculation. That poster never returned to elaborate and explain why they they ranked DLP better. Paris may not have as many attractions as the US castle parks or Tokyo, but it has more than either of the Chinese parks, and the best attractions in Paris are stunning. I could see a case being made for Paris' attraction lineup, though it's not one I'd personally make.
2. You're making it sound like I'm penalizing the park for having too much to do. I'm not. Disneyland has many more attractions than MK does, and if that was my metric, DL would be ranked below. But if you compare MK to the other castle parks, you'll notice that its wait times are often double that of, say, DL. And part of that (certainly not all of it) is a result of how MK operates. FP+ is everywhere and in many places it doesn't belong, raising wait times. Also raising the wait times? Deliberately operating attractions below capacity to save a buck. I'm not saying the other parks don't do this, but it is noticeably more blatant at WDW. Other parks also get very crowded (Shanghai, Tokyo) but unless you're doing something stupid like going to Tokyo during a weekend it's way easier to actually do everything you want to do. Right now you are basically REQUIRED to commit multiple days to MK to do everything you want to do, or at least I find it's that way for me, and everything takes longer than it should. Longer than it does anywhere else.
3. Be our Guest used to be good but I found the food quality to have dropped considerably between my first visit in 2014 and my subsequent visit in 2017. Not a hot dog person. CHH doesn't mean much if you don't like seafood. Also, if "good food" in a theme park is one seafood restaurant and hot dogs, maybe that's indicative that things actually aren't great.
4. I've never struggled to get everything done in the Tokyo parks, including on weekend visits. You just have to get there early and have a plan. And Tokyo runs their parks properly, and they have an excess of cast members and guests that know what they're supposed to do, which makes a huge difference, and makes being in those massive crowds much more bearable. I agree the app thing is frustrating, but boy doesn't the Olympics give them a great goal post to get that English version of the app out? And hey, you can now actually reserve restaurants in English as of a few months ago, which was unheard of. So I'm sure it's coming. Also, around 95% of their visitors are domestic and prioritizing Japanese visitors over others is hardly unique to TDR; it's cultural. Disney has no incentive to push the issue because they don't have an ownership or operating stake and would rather you didn't know TDR existed because it makes them look bad in most other respects.

I'd rather be in Tokyo than at any of the other parks regardless.

Again, maybe that's just you? In 2010, sure. Last year? I was there a day and a half and wished I had more time.
HK may be lacking quantity, but I don't think it's lacking quality, personally.

Fair points, we will just have to agree to disagree. I've been to Disney Tokyo in 2016, 2019, and earlier this year in 2020 right before it closed. I purposefully avoided weekends, always got to the park before open. And the crowds/lines are always bad, bad, bad. TDL is certainly much better than TDS for lines mainly because TDL has many more attractions. But, if not for the solo rider line at Big Thunder and Splash, I would have a lot of trouble getting everything done.

As for HKDL, I've been twice. It's a cute park, it's fun. But I'm someone who jumps from ride to ride to ride, I'm not really walking around just admiring the beauty. And, in that respect, HKDL is pretty disappointing for me in comparison to the other Disney parks around the world.

manmythlegend

HKDL's a wonderful little park, and Hong Kong is actually my favorite city in the world. Such an interesting blend of east and west! The park doesn't have a ton, but what is there is well done. And it's so chill and laid back compared to all of the other parks, which was extremely helpful on jetlag day! Hopefully all that's gone down in the last year or so won't affect the expansion plans much. And of course, there's always Mystic Manor...

Shanghai's a bit odd in look and feel, but I can't stress enough that a lot of the complaints people make from the internet don't register as much in person. It's an interesting and unique take on the castle park that sometimes really works and sometimes doesn't at all (their Fantasyland, aside from the wonderfully improved Peter Pan, is a travesty). Tron is fun and super instagramable but definitely overrated. Pirates is a genuine revelation. Food was great, albeit terribly overpriced for the locals. The right side of the park is beautifully designed. Pity they shuttered their amazing Tarzan show, but they still have their Pirates stunt show, which has stunning moments. I think it'll be really interesting to see where the park will go over the next decade.

On this we agree, HK is one of my favorite cities in the world (before the protests erupted at least). With regards to HKDL, yes, what they have is well done. But I think you would agree it's much easier to maintain a small park and make sure it's top quality than it is to take a much larger park and maintain that same degree on everything. That's a much, much more difficult task. If HKDL expands to the size of MK, let's see if they are able to maintain.

I really liked Shanghai. I spent 3 full days, stayed at the Toy Story Hotel which only cost me about $120 a night and got me some perks such as early entry which is worth its weight in gold at Shanghai. I was able to do Soaring twice as a complete walk on during the early hours. I loved being able to walk from the park back to Toy Story hotel. Park has great food options, especially right in the Downtown Disney area when you leave the park.

I love the ride lineup at Shanghai. I loved Pirates. And I loved Tron (apparently more than a lot of other people). Tron has a single rider line so I just basically kept doing that over and over and over. Very easy and quick. Shanghai is beautiful to me. I seemed to love it a lot more than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom