Randy Pausch plaque

xtimMOOthyx

Original Poster
Live from the MK! I just passed the Mad Tea Party and noticed something new: http://twitpic.com/1e7in. This plaque appears in front of the tea party topiary and includes a quote from the late Randy Pausch. Kind of a nice touch to a great person.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Very nice.

1e7in-d4c1f732a86273d66a8c042e43202c8c.498f43e3.jpg

Disneyson 1

Is the link not working for anyone else? Or is it copy, paste? I'll try that now.

Edit: Got it. Is that new, or just a new discovery? It's very nice.

Bug715

Its new. I read this thread then got on the HUB for cast members since I hadn't been on over the weekend and found this article.

In a Feb. 4 ceremony at Magic Kingdom Park, The Walt Disney Company honored professor, author and former Imagineer Randy Pausch with the announcement of two university fellowships in his name.
Randy, who passed away in July 2008, is best known for "The Last Lecture," his worldwide bestselling book based on a speech he gave to his students and colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University shortly after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. In his talk he urged his audience to find the good in other people, work hard to overcome obstacles and live generously.
20090205%20WDW%20Pausch%20podium.jpg

Randy Pausch at Carnegie Mellon University.
A huge fan of Disney parks, Randy fulfilled a lifelong dream when he joined the Walt Disney Imagineering team during a university sabbatical in 1995. At WDI, Randy's enthusiasm for blending technology and artistry led to the development of such attractions as Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride at DisneyQuest. Randy continued to collaborate with Disney after returning to teaching, and helped form an internship program between the company and Carnegie Mellon.
The Disney Memorial Pausch Fellowship at Carnegie Mellon University announced Feb. 4 will support two graduate students, one each in programs that reflect Randy's major interests: computer science and fine arts.
"Randy Pausch lived his life inspiring his students, colleagues and coworkers," said Bob Iger, Disney president and CEO. "Now, the vitality and energy he brought to his classroom lives on and serves as an inspiration to millions of people he never had the chance to meet. We are proud to honor Randy's passion by supporting the innovators and dreamers of tomorrow with these fellowships."
20090205%20WDW%20Pausch%20medallion2.jpg

Bruce Vaughn of WDI (left) and Bob Iger with Randy Pausch's family at the ceremony.
During the ceremony, attended by Randy's wife and their three children along with other relatives, Disney also unveiled a medallion in Randy's honor. Located near the Mad Tea Party in Magic Kingdom Park, where he loved to visit with his family, the medallion is inscribed with some inspirational words from Randy himself:
Be good at something; it makes you valuable. Have something to
bring to the table, because that will make you more welcome.

agent86

That is very cool! I love the Last Lecture too! My favorite quote from it is when he says "the brick walls are there to give us a chance to prove how badly we want something."

lbrad

Montymon...thank you...AWESOME...I have his book.
Now I can watch his lecture when I need some inspiration:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Montymon...thank you...AWESOME...I have his book.
Now I can watch his lecture when I need some inspiration:)
I keep it handy for two reasons. Inspiration when needed and a reminder how important my son is.

mickeysaver

Thank you so much for posting this. I will have to snag a photo when I am down in April. It's really nice to see that Disney honored one of their own. I think it's an fitting little tribute.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Awww..that's so sweet.
If you watch the lecture, right at the end he says something to the effect of 'I didn't do this for myself or for you people in the audience, I did this lecture for my kids'. I am a 49-yo former military and I cry like a baby every time I hear that. But it does remind me that it's more important what I leave behind in this world through my son than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom