Rain: Do you poncho, rain jacket, or umbrella?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I'm a Florida girl so just getting wet doesn't cut it for me...after all I know it's going to rain so why go unprepared right? I've done the rain poncho but now more and more often they make you take them off as you get on a ride. I understand the theory but since the soaking wet guy behind me who didn't put on anything is sitting down too I sometimes feel like it's a silly rule. I've done a light weight rain coat in the fall/winter but never in the summer...not sure how extra hot that would be. And I've never thought to take an umbrella...not really sure why other than when it's just me and the granddaughter i'm not sure how to stay dry and push a stroller this way. Plus I can't quite picture letting her loose walking in a crowd holding an umbrella without her hitting someone.

So which do you prefer and why when heading out to the parks in the summer...poncho, rain jacket, or umbrella?

Taylor

I'm a Florida girl so just getting wet doesn't cut it for me...after all I know it's going to rain so why go unprepared right? I've done the rain poncho but now more and more often they make you take them off as you get on a ride. I understand the theory but since the soaking wet guy behind me who didn't put on anything is sitting down too I sometimes feel like it's a silly rule. I've done a light weight rain coat in the fall/winter but never in the summer...not sure how extra hot that would be. And I've never thought to take an umbrella...not really sure why other than when it's just me and the granddaughter i'm not sure how to stay dry and push a stroller this way. Plus I can't quite picture letting her loose walking in a crowd holding an umbrella without her hitting someone.

So which do you prefer and why when heading out to the parks in the summer...poncho, rain jacket, or umbrella?
I have a pretty large family so I'd say ponchos there easier to keep with and store I wouldn't do umbrellas at all

NiarrNDisney

I always carry ponchos with me just in case, but if I know it is just going to be a light rain then I will also bring an umbrella which during a really hot sunny day is great to get out of the sun.

Dinardo

We have ponchos for the whole family, but I hate putting them on just to take them off after 30 paces to get to the next ride. They also get so muggy and those vents in the back do nothing.........yet I still wear one. I think I am more concerned about my socks and shoes getting wet than my shirt. I hate the soggy socks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
the poncho is the only one that has any hope of keeping you dry in FL rain. jackets aren't long enough and too hot for summer. Umbrellas are gonna get you soaked legs.

WDW_Emily

We did the poncho last trip. It rained 80% of the day in MK and about 30% of the day in Epcot. They never told us to take them off on rides and we kept them on for most of the day. I agree with the above poster that it is annoying to take them on and off every couple minutes. The day we went to MK it was hot and rainy (typical Florida) so the ponchos became sticky and hot. Umbrellas would have probably worked better but those can also be a pain to open and close and depending on how many, difficult to store.

R W B

I personally use a poncho. I've had to use it about 5-6 days between my last 3 WDW trips and it comes in handy. I only use it if it's more then a summer shower. A little rain doesn't hurt.

Never been asked to take it off for a ride though, what rides usually ask that?

koryadams

I have used a poncho and umbrella at the same time lol. But ponchos can be like frustrating because they feels weird, but they keep you dry...until you have to take it off and have the wet poncho....why am I making this seem like a big deal?! It is just water haha :p

rufio

If you wear glasses, umbrella! Seriously, a poncho does not do much if your glasses are covered in water and you can't see anything :confused:

71dsp

Ponchos for us, although the last time we had to use them the rain was coming down so ferociously that we were SOAKED from the knees down. This was back when we carried a backpack (not a small one mind you), and an umbrella would not have kept it dry.

This upcoming trip, we're going to tempt fate by carrying as little as possible and probably won't carry a poncho unless the forecast calls for a chance of rain. If we get caught without them in a storm, we'll buy them at a shop. Yeah, won't be cheap, but we're willing to take that risk. :)

Beholder

I couldn't be bothered to carry something along with me all day long, so I just toughen the rain out. You usually see the rain coming, so I try to time taking shelter for half an hour with grabbing a bite or some such.

I agree, I hate having to carry anything besides what I think is necessary, money, camera, room key and such. It starts to rain (rainy season in Florida, it's going to happen) find a shop and wait it out. A drizzle, no problem, just keep going.

rsoxguy

Ponchos that are carried in my backpack. We have larger, more industrial strength ponchos, but we often take cheapo little ponchos from Walmart. I have tried taking small, retractable umbrellas, but they are more cumbersome to carry in the backpack.

Sunshineglow68

Ponchos for us, definitely. Put them in the backpack and have them if you need them. Not bad to wear on the water rides either (if you can) to try and keep the shoes and socks dry.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I get wet. I dont want to look like a large johnny with legs wandering around so no poncho. If its heavy I use a broly as it has a little panache, like me.

foreverbelle

I actually bought a light weight Mickey jacket last year at the world for this specific reason. It has been fabulous as it was cool enough to wear around, and compact enough that it can be put into a bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom