Raging Spirits coming to MK?

culturenthrills

Original Poster
According to this article at Jim Hill Media.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/11/02/6464.aspx

FYI: Hong Kong Disneyland isn't the only Disney theme park that may soon be getting a carbon copy of this recent Lost River Delta addition. The Imagineers have also reportedly been toying with adding "Raging Spirits" to the Adventureland section of WDW's Magic Kingdom. Since it's been more than a decade now since Disney World's signature theme park last got a new thrill ride.

I hope this isn't true. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about Raging Spirits or its Indiana Jones counterpart at DLP. I really think this would be a total flop. MK does need a new major attraction but I really hope it isn't that.

Captain Chaos

Remember, this is from Jim Hill. But, this kind of coincides what Lee mentioned in another thread here saying a clone COULD be coming from TDS. And Raging Spirits was the ride I guessed. He did mention Adventureland. Maybe this rumor from Jim Hill isn't too far off, since Lee, in a round about way, did say the same thing without mentioning the ride itself.

I was just looking at some pics. It has some great theming. It would'nt be a bad addition but Im not sure if Id like it. Im always up for a new coasters but I don't think thrill rides when I got to MK. MK is more magical than anything.

Pete C

I will lose all faith in the Imagineers if they bring this ride over. I've heard the OTSRs are very painful.

WDWFREAK53

What kind of coaster is this? Wooden, Steel, or Steel to look like a wooden?

Inversions?
LIM?

What's the theming?

I would assume it's a steel with inversions if there are OTSRs.

Unless they could make the coaster look "rustic" or rundown...I don't see how a nice shiny new coaster would look in Adventureland. (Other than the Carpets...everything looks so "natural" in Adventureland)

Captain Chaos

I was able to find some pictures and video and honestly, I don't care for the ride either. Unless they use the ride system and create another theme? I thought Lee stated the ride system MAY/COULD come from TDS but the ride itself can't and won't.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Steel, off the shelf with one inversion. Don`t diss it until you try it. It`s no RnRC, but I was pleasently surprised by the ride at DLP; a very unique feel. Also the themeing on both versions is superb. As is the ride lighting at night. One issue I forsee, and have discussed this with peeps in the know, is queue length. Even without switchbacks, the distance from the backstage gates at Caribbean Plaza (to utilise the current under-the-berm bridge for the queues) to the plot is 650ft. That`s a 1300ft round trip. The queue had better be at least as good as the EMV version at Anaheim.

My personal hope is for an interior `finale` scene the ride could be routed through. Yeah, right. Like that`ll happen! As it stands it`ll be a good but not great attraction again. At least it`ll be better than Primeval Whirl!

Ride system; Intamin Steel Inversion with WDI tweaks. Available anywhere. Raging Spirits licensed by OLC.

sanctumsolitude

Raging spirits is a little too brutal for my tastes.

They warn you to hold your head back on this ride and if you don't, your head gets tossed around really hard. The natural thing to do is stick your head out a little bit, but instead, you have to push it up against the backrest to prevent bumps and bruises.

They do have tons of padding on the shoulder restraints, more than I have ever seen on a ride before. Still though, unless you keep your head against the backrest, it will get brutal.

Brian Noble

I've been on the DLP version (running backwards). I had always assumed it was a Vekoma, but it is an Intamin---apparently, the layout is a Stengel, but I'd easily call it one of his lesser efforts, based on a Pinfari of all things.

http://www.rcdb.com/id957.htm

The queue, setting, and look of the attraction at DLP are superb, and fit with the surroundings very very well. I'm sure something similar could be done at MK if this is in the cards.

Shaman

I like this rumor, I just hope if it is true that the attraction is not a identical clone and has its own unique elements.

Rumors have been around for a MK attraction for a while....with various MK sites being discussed (run a search here and you'll get some cool info).

WDWFREAK53

I just looked at the pictures from the site that Brian posted (thank you) and to me it looks nicely themed...but I just see it as another ride that'll close down once a day due to inclement weather :lol:

Yes, I feel it would fit nicely into Adventureland but if it truly isn't a quality attraction...why bother?

kcnole

look up some video on youtube of the indiana jones ride in Paris and that is what this is. It's basically a small coaster with I think one small inversion. It's themed well and looks nice but the ride looks boring to me. It seems imagination lite. We can definitely do better.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep. That's the ride I was talking about.

Two different locations were mentioned.
-Way out behind Pirates, like Martin mentioned.
-Behind the Treehouse, near Main St. (Don't see that working, personally).

As I said, I'm not totally sold on the idea. I kinda like the idea of having the ride at MK...but not at the expense of a new major e-ticket elsewhere in the park.

Epcot82Guy

As I said, I'm not totally sold on the idea. I kinda like the idea of having the ride at MK...but not at the expense of a new major e-ticket elsewhere in the park.

I agree, Lee. It would be a nice filler attraction to get a minor attendance boost. But, I think there are larger areas to deal with at the moment that could use some budget being saved up.

Captain Chaos

So, Lee I was right LOL... Investigation work here I come LOL

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steel, off the shelf with one inversion. Don`t diss it until you try it. It`s no RnRC, but I was pleasently surprised by the ride at DLP; a very unique feel. Also the themeing on both versions is superb. As is the ride lighting at night. One issue I forsee, and have discussed this with peeps in the know, is queue length. Even without switchbacks, the distance from the backstage gates at Caribbean Plaza (to utilise the current under-the-berm bridge for the queues) to the plot is 650ft. That`s a 1300ft round trip. The queue had better be at least as good as the EMV version at Anaheim.

The "no RnRC" is its major problem. The DLP version for me, is probably the 2nd worst Disney coaster of all time, just behind PrimEVIL Whirl. It is short, VERY rough and uncomfortable, poor visibility from the ride vehicles, horrible restraints, and lacks any kind of story or purpose. Yes the theming of the queue and caoster environment is reasonable (especially at night as you mentioned), but it is crying out for indoor scenes, animatronics, a smooth ride system, and a decent running length. Big Thunder blows it away, and Everest destroys it. There seems no point in building a coaster like that, when you have much MUCH better coasters in WDW.

We've been hearing about a coaster going in behind pirates for years now. That didnt materialise, and I'm hoping it wont materialise again, unless its a major ETicket that is worthy of being in MK.

CoffeeJedi

What's the story of Raging Spirits? I know that the Paris version is themed to one of Indy's dig sites, but what about Tokyo's?

Does the TDS version go backwards, or just the one at DLP?

Would they change the theme to fit with the Jungle Cruise story, unify things a bit, like in Anaheim's Adventureland (Indy references on the Jungle Cruise for example)

dox

I don't think its that bad an idea. Would be nice to expand Adventureland a bit. Though personally i'd rather see a major revamp of Jungle Cruise. Even as nice as the changes are at DL, there is still so much more they could do with this attraction.

Lee- what other possible E-tickets are out there that could be sacrificed were this attraction to be put in. If we're not getting anything else or if there is little chance of getting another eticked at MK then i really wouldn't mind attraction coming in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom