News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

jt04

Think you’re way too optimistic here. This is a budget cut, plain and simple. One day this space will likely be used for something else, but that day likely isn’t all that soon or on management’s radar.

These are interesting times, but unfortunately not positive for guests or CM’s.

Possibly I am too optimistic. But it seems the more they build the more they make.

I personally think they should keep building until they see a leveling off. But that is not what they have traditionally done. Time will tell.

MickeyMinnieMom

Awhile back someone in another thread said slowly Animal Kingdom will be less and less about animals and I'm beginning to believe that it's true. Take away a unique and educating experience and replace it with a run-of-the-mill dance party... Is that now the answer to everything?
Hmmm... I’m not one to glom onto many of the doom and gloom predictions, but I have to admit that the horror of a current bird show is far less about birds than it is about an insufferable host and two costumed characters.

We thought it was a train wreck — even after their little re-writes. It needs a full re-do.

Disney Maddux

Because Zootopia does not fit at Animal Kingdom.

Let me repeat that again

Zootopia does not fit at Animal Kingdom

Zootopia would work better at DHS than at AK. The only Disney IP's that fit better at AK is The Jungle Book, Bambi, and The Lion King.
It isn't just that. Whenever we even MENTION it, we're told this. Even when I said of how it could also work really well in DHS, I was still struck down with "It will never happen" or "wild furry" insults.

NickWilde

Because Zootopia does not fit at Animal Kingdom.

Let me repeat that again

Zootopia does not fit at Animal Kingdom

Zootopia would work better at DHS than at AK. The only Disney IP's that fit better at AK is The Jungle Book, Bambi, and The Lion King.
While I respect your opinion, I disagree. People originally thought Pandora wouldn’t work, but it did. And Zootopia is a less outlandish concept than Pandora. If done right, it would be able to seemlessly fit in with the rest of the park. It would be a good way to have a bit of worldbulding for the movies, (and a bit of education) showing how a city full of anthro animals instead of people would function.

NickWilde

It isn't just that. Whenever we even MENTION it, we're told this. Even when I said of how it could also work really well in DHS, I was still struck down with "It will never happen" or "wild furry" insults.
It just seems that people hate Zootopia, or IPs in general on this forum... All these “purists” who have the need to put anyone down who even suggests an IP-related idea.

MickeyMinnieMom

While I respect your opinion, I disagree. People originally thought Pandora wouldn’t work, but it did. And Zootopia is a less outlandish concept than Pandora. If done right, it would be able to seemlessly fit in with the rest of the park. It would be a good way to have a bit of worldbulding for the movies, (and a bit of education) showing how a city full of anthro animals instead of people would function.
I think part of the issue is that some don’t think Pandora worked. They don’t think it fits. No matter how much of a success it is in multiple respects, it doesn’t fit THEIR AK.

At least that’s a lot of what I’m gathering... ;)

JimW

Premium Member

Here's my personal opinion, whether it be right or wrong. There's a subset of the user base here who are very pro-Zootopia. It could be my own perception, but it feels like they only come out and post when the subject is Zootopia, or when they feel like it should be Zootopia-focused. My opinion is also that the majority of the people here are fans of either the entirety of the Disney canon, or at least of the entirety of Walt Disney World.

I'm not saying that any perspective is right or wrong. What I am saying is that if you continuously try to drive the conversation onto a specific sub-topic, people might get irritated.

Again, just me.

Biff215

Here's my personal opinion, whether it be right or wrong. There's a subset of the user base here who are very pro-Zootopia. It could be my own perception, but it feels like they only come out and post when the subject is Zootopia, or when they feel like it should be Zootopia-focused. My opinion is also that the majority of the people here are fans of either the entirety of the Disney canon, or at least of the entirety of Walt Disney World.

I'm not saying that any perspective is right or wrong. What I am saying is that if you continuously try to drive the conversation onto a specific sub-topic, people might get irritated.

Again, just me.
It’s not just you, I think you’re absolutely right. Lobbying for a Zootopia attraction in a Zootopia thread would be understandable. Doing so in several unrelated threads comes across as obsessive. Also, begging for a M&G might cause some of the negative comments, warranted or not.

It’s fair to debate the appropriateness of any IP in the parks, but in the appropriate thread. If Rafiki’s was the only closure right now then the speculation would be fair. But it’s pretty obvious why this is being done at this time, so we might as well cherish the additions that are already on the way, as WDW seems very unlikely to be committing to other large projects until things improve.

castlecake2.0

I thought something was up a few months ago when they updated all the costumes and wildlife express never got one and used the discovery island generic outfit instead

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom