News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well this stinks. Often after measuring my son i think of what rides he is now able to ride at various amusement parks. Looks like Disney is eliminating two attractions in AK that he would be able to experience. Seems that for the young ones its MK or bust. And people wonder why that park continues to bust at the seams.
Don't be dramatic. My daughter has been going since she was 6 months old and we have a blast at every park.

That said, if this is strictly a closure and not a closure-in-preparation-for-something-new, I'll be very disappointed.

Po'Rich

The speculation on what could reasonably replace it shall commence (we know it’s not Zootopia)
Here's my guess from Mid-America (so I'm definitely not any sort of Disney insider). The facilities will need to stay because they serve a function in the care of the animals. So, my guess is the area will be redefined as backstage and then there will be an upcharge tour that is made available.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Hate to see things cut with no immediate replacement but this was not an appealing area of the park. I’ll be nice and say that it left a lot to be desired for it being an out of the way experience. Seemed like Disney never gave it it’s all here.

phillip9698

Don't be dramatic. My daughter has been going since she was 6 months old and we have a blast at every park.

That said, if this is strictly a closure and not a closure-in-preparation-for-something-new, I'll be very disappointed.

Different strokes for different folks. Im not a fan of taking my son somewhere where i need to keep telling him he cant ride that. There is only one ride at HS he can ride, not counting Muppet Vision.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Well this stinks. Often after measuring my son i think of what rides he is now able to ride at various amusement parks. Looks like Disney is eliminating two attractions in AK that he would be able to experience. Seems that for the young ones its MK or bust. And people wonder why that park continues to bust at the seams.

Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Aquarium, Land Boat Ride, Figment, Pixar short film festival, kidcot, American Adventure, Frozen, Gran Fiesta Tour. Everything but Test Track, Mission Space, and Soarin have absolutely no minimum height requirement. Not to mention that walking through World Showcase is considered by many to be an attraction in and of itself.

Hollywood Studios: Indiana Jones Show, Frozen Show, BatB Show, Muppetvision, Toy Story Mania, Jedi Training Academy, One Man's Dream, Launch Bay, Mermaid Show. There is a height restriction on AlienSS, but it is only 32 inches which means most 2 year olds can ride it. This park does have less, currently at least, other than shows with no height restrictions. But Studios just has less in general at the moment.

Animal Kingdom: Tough to Be a Bug, Wilderness Explorers, Boneyard Playground/fossil dig, Triceratops Spin, Nemo Musical, Asia Animal Trail, Flights of Wonder, Africa Animal Trail, The Safari, Festival of the Lion King, Navi River Journey.

Not to mention that most kids reach 40 inches by the time they're 5. Which opens up a ton more possibilities. And if kids are less than 5, they probably will enjoy the dance parties and character stuff as that is the age group those are primarily for.

There a lot to do at every park for all ages. whether you and your family enjoys it is another issue. But it is still there. I'd even argue that with the animal trails and wilderness explorers and shows and the safari DAK might be the best for young kids outside of Magic. Even with the cut of Rafiki.

Tom Morrow

It's weird to close it in a park that still, even with Pandora, needs capacity, but I agree with those who say the whole experience was lackluster. First off, the train itself. I was never keen on the train being simultaneously a themed transportation system for Harambe and also a behind the scenes tour. While I may know that it's not real, seeing the backstage areas still takes me out of the setting. I understand that the whole point of the attraction was to be transparent about their animal care, however. But then Rafiki's Planet Watch itself is very limited. It very much does seem like an exhibit at a regular zoo. It is very dated looking and unless there's actually some animal care to be seen, there's really nothing special at all to see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's weird to close it in a park that still, even with Pandora, needs capacity, but I agree with those who say the whole experience was lackluster. First off, the train itself. I was never keen on the train being simultaneously a themed transportation system for Harambe and also a behind the scenes tour. While I may know that it's not real, seeing the backstage areas still takes me out of the setting. I understand that the whole point of the attraction was to be transparent about their animal care, however. But then Rafiki's Planet Watch itself is very limited. It very much does seem like an exhibit at a regular zoo. It is very dated looking and unless there's actually some animal care to be seen, there's really nothing special at all to see.

I don’t disagree with you at all...

But it’s still a drop in capacity, entertainment and value for the ticket. Fact.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It’s very amusing...

They remove something included in the ticket - with no explanation or replacement....people don’t like it...and they’re told they’re being “dramatic”?

Thank god we’re all economists here 🤪
1. They haven't even announced the closing, this was a CM leak. Why would they have an announcement ready for a replacement when they haven't actually announced the closing in the first place?

2. Being upset or disappointed is not dramatic. If there's no replacement, I'll be upset and disappointed myself. Saying "welp, I guess now there's no reason to visit any Disney park besides the Magic Kingdom if you have a child" is 100% dramatic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1. They haven't even announced the closing, this was a CM leak. Why would they have an announcement ready for a replacement when they haven't actually announced the closing in the first place?

2. Being upset or disappointed is not dramatic. If there's no replacement, I'll be upset and disappointed myself. Saying "welp, I guess now there's no reason to visit any Disney park besides the Magic Kingdom if you have a child" is 100% dramatic.

So...who jacked your keyboard when you called a mom with a small boy “dramatic”

I’ll get the torches and the pitchforks together and we’ll hunt them down right now...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom