Quitting Smoking

DisneyDebNJ

I suspect it will get easier, but not being able to sleep well really annoys me.

And when I do sleep, I've been having rather bad dreams.

The other night (not last night, but Thursday night) I had a nightmare, and yeah, I'll call it that, where I thought I'd overslept and the kid and I had missed our bus to go on our Disney Cruise in August.

It was terrifying!
Firstly congratulations!! Unfortunately, we are still smokers (but ironic I rarely smoke at Disney) Chantix has its plus sides and down sides, unfortunately, nightmares and insomnia, are two of the down sides. You may get stomach issues as well but nothing too horrible. I had quit for 10 years, (yep and started again due to stress of a divorce, got rid of one problem and started another!!) Hang in there, with the meds, it will eventually get better. Again Kudos on your determination!!!

luv

Firstly congratulations!! Unfortunately, we are still smokers (but ironic I rarely smoke at Disney) Chantix has its plus sides and down sides, unfortunately, nightmares and insomnia, are two of the down sides. You may get stomach issues as well but nothing too horrible. I had quit for 10 years, (yep and started again due to stress of a divorce, got rid of one problem and started another!!) Hang in there, with the meds, it will eventually get better. Again Kudos on your determination!!!
I picked it back up when my mother got sick and died. If you decide to quit again, it is easier than the first time!! :)

(Not that I'm urging you to quit! I hate it when people do that, lol. Just letting you know it is easier. :))

DisneyDebNJ

I picked it back up when my mother got sick and died. If you decide to quit again, it is easier than the first time!! :)

(Not that I'm urging you to quit! I hate it when people do that, lol. Just letting you know it is easier. :))
Thank you @luv It was a bear first time, but I was determined! LOL I used the patch and did pretty well with it. The weight gain took me over a year to lose but wasnt bad in the long run. Thanks again :)

trr1

I used the patch so I would know my cravings were habit-based and not physical. I also knew that if I started smoking with the patch, it could be dangerous, so I would not be able to smoke.

It was so hard. The whole oral thing is the hardest to beat. I started supplementing with Twizzlers and French fries...but that would have packed on the pounds, so I switched to water from a straw. Not as good. It's the whole hand-to-mouth thing that was hard for me.

Also the moments where you forget you've quit and want to smoke, like after a meal or after a shower or whatever. "Time for a cigarette! Oh. Wait. It isn't. Ummmm...."

In the car was tough, too.

On occasion, I still get a little jealous of smokers. I see them and I want one.

But eventually, it all eases up, you don't crave them any longer and you don't want one. Plus, the smell. Ugh.

Your sense of smell returns when you quit, which is not always a good thing, lol. It's good for flowers and stuff. But there are unpleasant odors you were missing. You will notice how badly some smokers stink.

The phlegm thing ends. You'll notice that after a while you don't have to clear your throat all the time, too.

It's all good. Stick with it. You'll be so glad you did!
i think the worst time was after being physical with the spouse;) the after glow so to speak

BoarderPhreak

Common side effects of Chantix (Varenicline):

• Nausea (may persist for several months)
  • Stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, gas
  • Weakness, tired feeling
  • Dry mouth, unpleasant taste in your mouth
  • Headache
  • Sleep problems (insomnia) or unusual dreams

Common side effects of nicotine withdrawal:

• Tingling in the hands and feet
  • Sweating
  • Intestinal disorders (cramps, nausea)
  • Headache
  • Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, etc.)

trr1

side effects for nicoderm

• allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
  • changes in hearing
  • changes in vision
  • chest pain
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • fast, irregular heartbeat
  • feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
  • headache
  • increased saliva
  • nausea, vomiting
  • skin redness that lasts more than 4 days
  • stomach pain
  • weakness
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
  • diarrhea
  • dry mouth
  • hiccups
  • irritability
  • nervousness or restlessness
  • trouble sleeping or vivid dreams

luv

I had the vivid dreams with the patch. It's why I didn't step down like you're supposed to. After about a week (maybe two), I just quit using it.

Those dreams were strange and freaky enough to make me remove the patch.

GSP Guy

5 days now, no smokes...
Hang in there! April 9th was a year off the smokes for me! Anybody who says it's easy to quit is a liar so I won't patronize you but I will tell you that it is so worth it! After a year the difference is undeniable! You will feel so much better! Cardio and stamina is amazingly improved. I know all too well about the "lung butter" and that has been completely gone for about 4-5 months Stay away from the Stop smoking websites as these are all propaganda and terribly inaccurate. All they do is make you feel guilty that you still want a smoke. I have no experience with Chantix so I can't comment on that. But I will be rooting for you my friend! Wishing you all the best of luck!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
First of all, congratulations on your decision. I predict you will be successful, because you have decided "enough is enough". It's been my experience that no one actually quits smoking until they want to do it for themselves--you cannot quit for your daughter, or because your doctor tells you to, but when you WANT to do it yourself, that's when it works.

I quit smoking 20 years ago last New Year's, after having smoked for a bit more than 10 years. I imagine if you've been smoking for longer than I was, it might be a bit more difficult. But stick with it, as long as you are doing it because you want to, you'll win, and think of not only the health benefits but the financial aspect. Here in NY, cigarettes are about $10-$12 a pack! (crazy--when I quit, they were $2.30) So I regard quitting smoking as one of the best financial decisions I ever made! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
How are you now? Any better? Hoping that you're feeling better!

Thanks everyone. Still on it. Day 6 with no smokes. Today, my lungs really started to clear. I'll save you the gory details, but the sight of it (and the nausea / extreme coughing) was enough to remind me that I really don't want to go back.

I still have a path to walk, but I feel like I've at least reached the top of the hill.

This will sound terrible, but I've started noticing the smoke smell everywhere. I spent earlier tonight shampooing my living room carpet and sofa. I didn't smoke indoors often, and even my mother (who is very sensitive to it) said she never notices when she's at my place, unlike when she's at my sister's house (she has a roommate that smokes in his room...and my mother swears she can smell it all the way downstairs). But, she says she never smells it, or at least it's not something she notes, when she's at my place.

Well, tonight I plopped down on the couch to watch a Disney podcast on youtube, and there was a whiff that smelled like an old ashtray! Something that I would never have noticed before.

Thank goodness I own a good carpet cleaner! Right now, I'm waiting on the sofa to dry before I spray it down with febreze and give it a good once over with my now more sensitive schnoz.

Nemo14

hurray.gif
Keep it up!

luv

Good for you. The first four or five days ARE the hardest, IMO.

And if something terrible happens in your life and you stop in to see a friends who smokes, no matter how badly you want just one, do not ask for it. Even if its your old brand.

Because, I swear, "just one" turns into two and three and four. And "just one pack" the next day. And then you're back up to a pack a day within 48 hours. Then you are a smoker again...

...and you have to quit again. (It's easier the second time, though.)

Never, ever put another cigarette to your lips. No matter what!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom