Quitting Smoking PTR BWV 9/8-9/13 2011

:sohappy:Travel dates: Sept. 8-13 2011
Travel method: Spirit Air, DME, WDW Transportation
Resort: DVC Boardwalk Villas
Accommodations: 1 Bedroom Standard View 114 pts.
Ages Represented in Group: 44, 29.9999 and holding(I will never tell) and 9 at trip time

Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group:
Cbum 8 times WDW, DW and Dkids 7 times WDW. Last 1/10 BLT GV, 4 times SSR(home) 2BR, 1 time SSR 1BR, 1 time Polynesian(really small for 5) Before DVC. My only trip without the family was in 1983 School trip(if I only knew then what I know now OMG)
Comments: 1st PTR and 1st TR to follow
Cast of characters: Cbum DH Firefighter/Chimney Sweep, Kim DW P/T Substitute teacher/keeps the books and does the scheduling for our Chimney Sweep Business-The glue that holds our home together and a truly fantastic person and love of my life , Grace DD.
This will be the first trip without Chris Jr.-DS (16) he will be in 9/2011 a Junior in HS and has all AP and honors courses scheduled for the school year and missing Thur,Fri,Mon and Tue from the first week of school will put him to far behind. And Drew DS (13) he will be entering his freshman year of HS and missing his first week would not be good to say the least. They are both a little to cool for WDW theses days anyway but I hope that wears off when they start raising kid’s someday. We decided to go this week because of the off peak time at Spirit Airlines and the low points at DVC and previous trip reports that reported empty parks in early September
THE STORY:I have been reading all your PTR’s and TR’s over the last couple of years and realized how much I live vicariously through them to keep me going between trips. I am going to give it a try to repay all of you so please be understanding.
I have been talking about quitting smoking for sooooooo many years now it’s going to take a WDW trip to give me reason enough to succeed. I hope the magic is flowing and the pixie dust replaces the nicotine in me and I succeed this time. I’ll be 44 on 5/17 and have promised my kid’s and DW that I am going to try to quit on or about my birthday.
I talked to Kim-DW yesterday and let her know my plan. We have empty candle jars that all the loose change goes into daily, it is DD’s job to put the loose change on the counter in the jars. She absolutely loves that chore. I am going to put the $8 a day per pack from 5/17 to 9/7 in a special candle jar which should amount to about $900 to make this trip possible. The other jars usually have about $60 each and we presently have three full. Hopefull a full fourth jar by then and there will be about $1140 between all the jars.

Money has been really, really tight and a trip to the world has not been discussed until yesterday. With tears in her eyes, mainly because the boys will not be going, my DW agreed saying that it will be a monumental step in my life if I am able to have success quitting this time and she gave me her blessing to start planning. I never realized how much money a year Cigs cost until I did the math. 365 X $8=$2920 a year- wholly crap!!!! Wish me luck and I will try to keep all of you informed over the summer as to my progress.

That discussion took place around 2pm yesterday and by 3:30pm My Hotel ressies were made, My ADR ressies were done and Airline ressies were done. You don’t have to tell me twice that its ok to book this trip.

Costs so Far:
Spirit Air –$60 total- I used 15,000 miles for three RT tickets. Spirit’s off-peak rewards start 9/7/11 and with my miles that’s almost all of them.
BWV-$0 (we won’t count annual dues lol)

Costs when we go:
Disney Dining Plan-will be $520
Park Hopper’s for 6 days-will be $865 + tax $921.23

The Plan
Day 1
9/8/11-630 am fly to Orlando arrive and take DME to BWV. If the room is not ready go to the Contemporary (The Wave) for ADR lunch. Then go to the pool at BLT (missed it 1/10 it was way to cold all week) hopefully get a text that the room is ready and head back to BWV and relax then head to MK 9pm MSEP and 10pm Wishes

Day 2
9/9/11-Poss EMH morning at HS +ARD’s Coral Reef 650pm + 9pm Illumination’s + Epcot EMH’s

Day 3
9/10/11-ADR’s Via Napoli 620pm + 830pm Fantasmic HS

Day 4
9/11/11-Remember all those lost especially the 343 from FDNY and reflect on Bin Ladens Demise + ADR’s Narcoosees 530pm + MK til midnight

Day 5
9/12/11-ADR’s at Chef Mickeys breakfast 1115am EMH HS til 10 pm

Day 6 pack checkout and be ready for DME pick-up 1030am for 130 flight back to NJ.

We don’t really set days to go to parks except for EMH’s. We like to parkhop and like to change plans on the go, even dining plans.

Any suggestions/reccomendations are welcomed. I hope I did ok with this PTR and hope to take notes and tell you all what really happened.

A couple of questions I do have::confused:
1. Is there any room request that you would suggest at BWV?.
2. There is the Night of Joy scheduled for MK 9/9 and 9/10. Has anyone been to it? Is it worth going to? Is it new? Or should we just avoid it completely and go to another park those nights.
3. Have I been mis-informed about this week and will the parks be mobbed because of the Nights of Joy?
Thank you for reading and I can’t wait for September

mickeymaniacs

I wish you the best of luck! I will hit my 5 year mark on 8/6 of this year and it wasn't easy but I am soooo glad that I stuck it out. :wave: You will be amazed at the difference it makes. It took me 3 tries to finally kick the habit. I heard that Night of Joy was really great. Good luck and everytime you want to light up just remember the fun you will have with that extra money!

HouCuseChickie

I'm not going to be much help on your ???s, but I wanted to post best of luck on quitting smoking. I've been smoke free for nearly 4 yrs. It's amazing how much it eats away at the budget when you sit down and do the math...it's even more amazing how good you'll feel after you'be been smoke free for a while. Keep us posted!!!:wave:

Cbum

Original Poster
I wish you the best of luck! I will hit my 5 year mark on 8/6 of this year and it wasn't easy but I am soooo glad that I stuck it out. :wave: You will be amazed at the difference it makes. It took me 3 tries to finally kick the habit. I heard that Night of Joy was really great. Good luck and everytime you want to light up just remember the fun you will have with that extra money!

Thank you very much for the encouraging words!!!! :D

Cbum

Original Poster
I'm not going to be much help on your ???s, but I wanted to post best of luck on quitting smoking. I've been smoke free for nearly 4 yrs. It's amazing how much it eats away at the budget when you sit down and do the math...it's even more amazing how good you'll feel after you'be been smoke free for a while. Keep us posted!!!:wave:

Also Thank you!!! I did the math and almost fell off my chair. Then I realized with the way money has been that if I quit and saved that money that the happiest place on earth was within reach.:D
I will definately keep you posted over the coming summer.

The Mom

Premium Member
I finally quit a pack (sometimes more) a day habit 30 years ago (after smoking for 15 years), and it was incredibly hard. Most people are surprised by that fact, for some reason - especially my children. :lol: But they have never seen me smoke, or any evidence of it, as I gave it up before they were born.

Just don't beat yourself up if you backslide, but get right back with the program. If you slip and have one, don't go and smoke a whole pack with a "I can't do this attitude."

fractal

love the report and good luck with quiting. I quit almost 10 years ago and it took a few months to do it. I remember quiting for a day and the next day I would buy a pack of cigarettes. I would smoke one then get so mad at my-self I would crush the rest of the pack and throw it out. This happened several more time ( talk about expensive!) until I finally quit for good.

I did use some kind of "fake cigarette" for a while to wean myself off of the oral fixation which seemed to help. Today I feel great - I got more active, lost weight and now jog regularly - something that used to be impossible.

I wish you all the strength you will need to get over this nasty and addicting habit. :wave:

WDW Traveler

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking! I wish you all the best in your journey, and if times get tough, just remeber all that money you are saving for WDW! ;) Your gameplan looks great too, you are going to have a great time!

Cbum

Original Poster
Thank you Mickeysshoes and sorry about your Caps I thought they were going to win Lord Stanley's cup this year . My Flyers are looking bad too:(, although they were down 3-0 to Boston last year. I Don't see that happening again this year.

Cbum

Original Poster
I finally quit a pack (sometimes more) a day habit."

I'm hoping I can say that very soon. I've been smoking since I was 14 and It's way past time to quit. But you know as well as I those things are devilishly hard to get away from.:fork:

Cbum

Original Poster
Thanks Fractal - I'm going try to wean down by using the fake battery ones myself. Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks WDW Traveler - all the suggestions and encouragement is getting my brain pointed in the right direction.

mickeysshoes

Thank you Mickeysshoes and sorry about your Caps I thought they were going to win Lord Stanley's cup this year . My Flyers are looking bad too:(, although they were down 3-0 to Boston last year. I Don't see that happening again this year.

The exit was very hard to take last night but I just think it was not meant to be!! Next year!! Good luck to you and your Flyers....a repeat of last year would be AWESOME!! And always remember you have your Disney buddies here to help you when times get hard while quitting...I personal have never smoked so I dont know first hand but I have helped mh DH quit!!! Good luck and come to us for extra support when needed!!! :wave:

Cbum

Original Poster
The exit was very hard to take last night but I just think it was not meant to be!! Next year!! Good luck to you and your Flyers....a repeat of last year would be AWESOME!! And always remember you have your Disney buddies here to help you when times get hard while quitting...I personal have never smoked so I dont know first hand but I have helped mh DH quit!!! Good luck and come to us for extra support when needed!!! :wave:

I was completely suprised that they went down that way. Settling down now to watch the Flyers now and I will def come here when I'm going crazy (hopefully not) for a smoke. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cbum

Original Poster
Update

Quit on 5/18 didn't want to ruin my B'day. Good thing because the 18th was real hard. The week has been torture. I do have to admit that the battery powered cig does take the edge off but I guess 30 years has taken it's toll. I did have one cig each night but now they are all gone as of yesterday. It was the remains of the last pack and I planned it that way. I do appreciate the support I got from all of you and will keep you informed throughout the summer. :)$56 bucks in the jar and counting....:goodnevil this smiile says it all-good to quit but an evil process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom