Quick Tips For New WDWMagic

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a list of items to hopefully figure out some of the changes without having to post and wait for a reply.

• Multi-Quote~ Click the reply button on each post that you wish to quote, they will pop up automatically in the Quick Reply Box at the bottom of the page. If it is on multiple pages then copy the QR Box text, visit the next page, click Reply on each post desired to be quoted then paste the text from the other page.
  • Mark Forums read~ In the top left of the page under the "Forums" tab there is a "Mark Forums Read" button on the far left. From there you can mark forums read.
  • User Control Panel~ User Control Panel can be accessed in one of two ways with ease. On the upper right hand corner of the page you have your username. Option A: Hovering your cursor over your name without clicking you can bring up a quick access box to various areas of your User Control Panel. Option B: If you click on your username then it will take you to the full User Control Panel.
  • View Likes~ Your likes can be access in User Control Panel via either method.
  • Alerts~ The alerts you receive can be customized using either User Control Panel method. Default setting are to alert you of pretty much everything involving your username.
  • Tags~ You are now able to tag users in your posts. It is done by place "@" immediately followed by the username. Example: @wdwmagic
  • Viewing Style/Format~ http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-to-choose-your-viewing-style.838972/page-3#post-4981913
  • Private Messages~ Top right corner of the page under "Inbox" tab. Messages are now referenced as "Conversations" but are still the same thing you are used to.
  • Online Status~ There currently is no method to view active or online users. You can view an individual's online status by clicking their User Avatar.
  • Hide Online Status~ If you wish to have your Online Status hidden it is easy to change. Hover your cursor over your username on the top right for User Control Panel quick access. The bottom of the box has "Show Online Activity" with a check box next to it. Uncheck the box and your status is now hidden.
  • Page Refresh~ You can now click the "Forums" tab on the top left of the page to refresh the forums. You can also click either "Home>Forums>" for main page refresh.
  • View Followers~ You can view your followers in User Control Panel. For Option A click "People You Follow" and Option B they can be view in the "Settings" portion of the column in "People You Follow."
  • Edit Follower~ Followers can be added or deleted via User Control Panel in either Method A or B. The function is fairly straight forward; simply type the username you wish to follow. To "Unfollow" simply click the "Unfollow" button to the right of the followed user's name.
  • View New Posts~ This feature has been revised with the new forum software. At the top menu bar under the "Forum" tab you can click "Live" to view a relatively real time post list. Under "What's New?" you can view threads with posts you have not read.
  • View New Posts II~ New posts can also be access via "Quick Navigation" panel as outlined here. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-to-quick-navigation.838987/ Next you will click "Recent Activity" where you can see the recent posts and other items by users.
  • Subscribe to Threads~ At the top right of discussion inside the thread there is a "Watch Thread" button. Click that and you are now subscribed.
  • View Subscribed Threads~ On the top menu bar click "Watched Threads" and you can view your subscribed threads.
If you have any questions or any items that you feel would be beneficial to the "Quick Tips" thread then please do not be shy about sharing.

lazyboy97o

Is there any chance of multiquote being more of as it was before? My browser is automatically scrolling down to the Quick Reply box, which makes me loose my place.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster
As of right now that is only method. Once the method settles in then changes will be made accordingly. I, however, do not know exactly what will be adjusted.

WDW1974

I appreciate the work ... but I do NOT like the changes at all. I may be an old fart, but this makes things even more time consuming. I enjoyed simply posting and conversing, one reason why I enjoyed the VERY simple (dinosaur age for most here) boards on LaughingPlace.

nepalostparks

I appreciate the work ... but I do NOT like the changes at all. I may be an old fart, but this makes things even more time consuming. I enjoyed simply posting and conversing, one reason why I enjoyed the VERY simple (dinosaur age for most here) boards on LaughingPlace.

There is certainly an adjustment period, but once you get your bearings I'm sure you'll be able to move around quickly. You can still post and converse as before, just looks and flows a little differently. Give it time :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What you describe is exactly what this new system excels at. It is the fastest posting experience that you can get. In no way is it more time consuming.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Gotta say, the more I use it the more I like it. Still want the background to be darker (or more dimed) but by god it's fast.

Am I right in there is no longer a PM limit now it's conversation based?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Gotta say, the more I use it the more I like it. Still want the background to be darker (or more dimed) but by god it's fast.

Am I right in there is no longer a PM limit now it's conversation based?
Glad to hear it :)

Yep you should not reach any limits on the PMs.

Jay & Sue

Sorry guys but I agree completely with WDW1974. I have been coming here multiple times a day since the days of Grizz to read a couple the hot topics of the day and then go back to work. The way you had it was perfect. The site was relaxing, interesting, informative, and visually perfect. If I wanted to I could dig deeper into the forums to find subjects that I wanted - which I often have. Now, the subject matter that we get hit with when we enter the forums is too broad. Maybe you could list just a few hot topics again on the opening page. Visually, the pages are too stark and burn the eyes. Maybe you could start a poll to get feedback from the readers. Thats my opinion and, of course, to each his own.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry guys but I agree completely with WDW1974. I have been coming here multiple times a day since the days of Grizz to read a couple the hot topics of the day and then go back to work. The way you had it was perfect. The site was relaxing, interesting, informative, and visually perfect. If I wanted to I could dig deeper into the forums to find subjects that I wanted - which I often have. Now, the subject matter that we get hit with when we enter the forums is too broad. Maybe you could list just a few hot topics again on the opening page. Visually, the pages are too stark and burn the eyes. Maybe you could start a poll to get feedback from the readers. Thats my opinion and, of course, to each his own.
There has been just a few changes made to the forum list that you are hit with on entering the site, actually a reduction in their number. A few of the less used areas have been combined elsewhere. So it certainly can't be too broad.

In terms of the color burning your eyes, have you tried the other colors? The old color scheme is still available. See http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-to-choose-your-viewing-style.838972/ for details.

nepalostparks

Be sure to check the other help topics, which will show you how you can choose from different styles, one of which may be more appealing to you visually.

The old forum software was on its last legs, and an update was unavoidable. Please give yourself some time to adjust, and remember, it's still the same great community for Disney discussions. Hopefully you will be able to adjust quickly and continue enjoying the free service that @wdwmagic provides you with.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Having re-read this, I think you may be referring to the links that were on the homepage to the latest forum topics? If so, they are temporarily unavailable, and will be back soon.

nepalostparks

Having re-read this, I think you may be referring to the links that were on the homepage to the latest forum topics? If so, they are temporarily unavailable, and will be back soon.

In the meantime, @Jay & Sue, you can also use the What's New button to see all of the recent threads. Near the top of the page, it's in the light blue bar under the Forums tab.

Jay & Sue

Glad that a few of the latest general discussion and trip planning links on the homepage will be coming back when you get things sorted out. Looking at all the recent threads in each area gives me too may options and I would spend way to much time reading!! Have now switched to the Classic Liquid style - looks good! Great site by the way and has become a necessary part of life - good work!! :)

Goofy6294

I have a comment about viewing the pictures that are posted. In the old version of the site, once I clicked on one picture, it would expand over the page and I could very easily toggle between pictures by clicking on the left or right sides of the picture. Now, I have to click on the smaller thumbnail, after which I can click on the larger picture to enlarge it further. The problem is once it's in its largest form, I can't just toggle to another picture; I have to close the image that I'm viewing. Also, when I switch to another picture, it now reloads the entire page which normally kicks part of the picture off the bottom of my screen. I love a lot of things about the new site, but I find that picture navigation is much more cumbersome and less streamlined than the old version.

Thanks for listening and keep up the great work!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I know I've seen it mentioned that a new feature is the ability to link to a particular post, but I can't find out how to do that--can someone explain it to me? Thanks!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I know I've seen it mentioned that a new feature is the ability to link to a particular post, but I can't find out how to do that--can someone explain it to me? Thanks!!
You sure can. Just right click on the number in the bottom right corner of the post, and it will take a copy of the link for you to that specific post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom