Question for those who stay in the values.

Jedi Stitch

We stayed at ASMo for our week long trip. We loved having the same benefits of staying on property, ADR, 60 day FP, set a CC to MB to room charge, and we could by something and have for pick up at the hotel gift shop either end of the day or next day. We could ship from the gift shop any of our breakable fragile purchases. We were also Park Commandos so spent 90 of time away from the hotel. The money we saved by having the Value resort, we spent to a DDP. We could go anywhere and eat any where we liked. We only ate at the QS in hotel as a last resort. We also, took the extra few grand we would have paid for a room at the deluxe or moderate and added a 3 day cruise on the end. Taking the buss was not that much of an inconvenience. You could be any where in the park in about 30 minutes 45 for a select few destinations. I would still love to Bucket list staying at Poly, Wilderness and AKL.

mmkaal3

I have stayed at the All Star Sports and Music and recently the remodeled Pop. I really think the remodeled rooms have made the Pop so much better and will do the same for the All Stars. I appreciate the values as we are not in our room very much- but maybe we would be in our room more if we stayed at a higher tier hotel.

The_Jobu

I booked a value resort for my upcoming trip. I couldn't even stay as long as I wanted, everything was booked up. Booked Sapphire Falls to compensate, looks like a great place for the price.

I agree with the other though that a parking fee at a value errodes the value of the value... of the value?

miltimo5

Evidently there is an entire segment of folks who feel that the values are basically cheap and tacky and that one sign of the decline in Disney is that they built the values. The old Disney would never have built some thing so "crass" .

my question? Do you like the theming of the values? Do you feel that the service is less?

I know folks who love the values and that their kids really enjoy those over- sized statues.

Thoughts?
I always stay value resorts. My current fav is Pop century since they don't share buses like the all stars. I would love to stay at wilderness Lodge but I more prefer staying longer. Now I go for ,15 to 20 days at a time. You can go to any resort to eat and/or shop or sit in their lobby to chill. Since I am out of my room by 7am at the latest. And come back when the parks close I don't think for me it is worth spending for a deluxe resort. Give me a longer stay any time

Smiley/OCD

We've been down 9 times since 1993...that year, (our honeymoon), we stayed at CBR...ASM once, POP 4 times and AoA the past 3. Going back in May, 2020 and staying at AoA again. Speaking for MYSELF (male, 54 y.o.), I am probably one of the FEW guests that LOVE all the activity that a value resort brings. Working in retail mgmt. for over 30 years, I enjoy the hustle and bustle as well...and oh yeah, the rest of the family enjoys it too. For the amount of time we actually spend in the resort (sleep, shower, maybe some pool time), I just can't justify the extra $$$ in a moderate or deluxe. We don't want to get pampered, use a spa, etc...wake up, shower, bus, resort (in that order, LOL).
Again, I know it's different strokes for different folks and that's fine....nobody's right or wrong on this one. Now if I hit the powerball Saturday night, my wife does insist on staying at a few other resorts....Poly, AKL and GF...that's fine with me, but until then, we'll continue to stay in the "values"

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've stayed at all levels and I have not had better or worse service and any of the resorts. I have always had good service at all the hotels. I mostly spend my time in the parks so I'm down for whatever is cheapest. Going for the cheapest also allows me to visit multiple times a year. I need my room clean, a comfy bed, and a shower. My resort needs to have decent bus service, a pool, and a place to get my coffee in the morning. The values check all of those boxes. If I wanted to spend more time at a pool or more time at the resort or if there were more than 2 people in my room I would look more at the moderates or deluxe. I do want to say, this past trip I took to the Movies in July I saw Donald and Goofy roaming around the resort often, I haven't ever seen that at the mods or deluxe resorts (not to say that they don't). When I saw those characters roaming around and interacting with guests it was a deluxe moment for me, but I was paying value rates.

When people complain about noise or trashy people at the values, I do believe that they had those experiences. That has not happened to me, but I also believe that could happen at any hotel all over the world (not just Disney). While at Disney the rowdiest experience I've had was a bunch of conventioneers trashing the hot tub area at the Coronado with their beer cans one night. But I didn't want to use the hot tub anyway, so I just chose a spot away from them.

HwdStudio

Evidently there is an entire segment of folks who feel that the values are basically cheap and tacky and that one sign of the decline in Disney is that they built the values. The old Disney would never have built some thing so "crass" .

my question? Do you like the theming of the values? Do you feel that the service is less?

I know folks who love the values and that their kids really enjoy those over- sized statues.

Thoughts?
I think the values are exactly what the “Old” Disney would have built. Making sure that every one has an option from inexpensive to very expensive. The themeing is 100% Disney. There is nothing to be ashamed of when staying at the value resorts. Resort snobs will say the opposite and that’s fine because many people see the deluxe resorts as a rip off. I’ve spent many trips at POP. Now I have several DVC contracts and enough Marriott/Starwood points to stay at the Swan and Dolphin whenever I want but I would not hesitate for a second to stay in a value resort. Not one second.

Dog Ate Mouse

Okay, let's be a little fair to all. I tried the All Star Movies and the POP. We usually stay there after our WDW vacation is over and we are spending a two day outside of the park visiting Gatorland and just touring things in Orlando. Far as staying for the wife and I we love our mods to deluxe resorts. I see a need for the kids and glad WDW provides this for families that needs a little help financially to come and stay. Also great place for those short few days that you come in and leave saving a few dollars. Some people do not care about the price and look at the resort part as just a place to sleep while at WDW. No wrong answer or feel here. For me and the Mrs. It's all about the resort because we go to the pools, get a drink, do things at the resort like boats, fishing, piano Bob at the resort and so on. WDW has given us all choices to budget minded to wanting to be spoiled. Honest I do feel like I am in WDW staying at the values. I seen people happy, kids smiling to tired and families being together having fun. Isn't that what really matters in the end. If you like the values great. If not, you do not have to stay or visit there again. I just look at the values as a good thing for all. WDW has given us choices to make. In the end you still see all the parks, go on all the rides and see all the show's and it does not matter which resort you stay in at all. Again I feel the values are a nice place to stay.

slipperalwaysfits

Like many of you, I enjoy/appreciate the Value resorts, too. That said, one of the reasons I do, is most likely because it's an affordable option for my husband and me to enjoy the Disney Bubble and have all the conveniences of staying on property, like the dining plan, bus and ME service, and Extra Magic hours.
In four separate trips to WDW at the All-Stars, we've never been bothered by neighbors on the other side of our walls.

I enjoy the theaming of All Star Music and Movies, it's fun to see how they theme each individual area, for example, the music notes and Cowboy boots on the railings for country, the Broadway posters, the giant jukeboxes and car in the Rock section and I love the mariachis for the Calypso section! I also enjoy the two pools the All-Stars each have and there are some quiet benches, etc to enjoy a quiet moment if you need one.

Anyway, we don't spend much time at the resort at all these days, if we could afford a moderate, that might change. We are very interested in becoming DVC members and when we do, we will probably make more time to spend at the resorts.

Our honeymoon was to Aulani in Hawaii and that was actually to spend time at the resort, so of course, we chose a deluxe for that reason in Hawaii (besides the fact we are Disney people). It was really fun to stay in a Deluxe and take advantage of all their amenities.

HwdStudio

Okay, let's be a little fair to all. I tried the All Star Movies and the POP. We usually stay there after our WDW vacation is over and we are spending a two day outside of the park visiting Gatorland and just touring things in Orlando. Far as staying for the wife and I we love our mods to deluxe resorts. I see a need for the kids and glad WDW provides this for families that needs a little help financially to come and stay. Also great place for those short few days that you come in and leave saving a few dollars. Some people do not care about the price and look at the resort part as just a place to sleep while at WDW. No wrong answer or feel here. For me and the Mrs. It's all about the resort because we go to the pools, get a drink, do things at the resort like boats, fishing, piano Bob at the resort and so on. WDW has given us all choices to budget minded to wanting to be spoiled. Honest I do feel like I am in WDW staying at the values. I seen people happy, kids smiling to tired and families being together having fun. Isn't that what really matters in the end. If you like the values great. If not, you do not have to stay or visit there again. I just look at the values as a good thing for all. WDW has given us choices to make. In the end you still see all the parks, go on all the rides and see all the show's and it does not matter which resort you stay in at all. Again I feel the values are a nice place to stay.
I totally get this point of view as well. As we’ve gotten older the resort does play a big part of our vacation as well. Very well said! WDW has tried to provide something for everyone and I think it has been a success.

Roakor

the only issue I have ever had at the values is if a large tour/cheerleading/sports/etc group is there. Even then its not that big of a deal, usually just a phone call to managment. I'm not going for the hotel I am going for the parks. All I want is a clean/quiet room to sleep in. For me the values have met that. I usually drive down so how fast the bus service is doesn't matter to me. We stayed and French Quarter last time and while it was unquestionably a better place than the values we didn't feel it was really worth the extra money. I can afford the deluxe hotels but just don't see the point in spending money on something I will spend very little time at. We will book a dinner at a deluxe and take in the resort while we were are there. Went to Sanaa last time in dec and spent about an hour before the dinner walking around the resort and savanna. Saw all we wanted to without spending a fortune on a room. If I ever become a part of the 1% then sure I'd stay at the deluxe hotels but that likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Missymoe4

As a person who has stayed at all levels, including GF Club Level several times, I have no issues with Pop/Value resorts. In fact, there are more advantages of staying there. For me, 18 days at the Pop was a dream. If I went anywhere else, I would have a much shorter trip. I was able to relax at the pool and enjoy my surroundings. As a single woman with no kids, I don’t find the theming tacky. It’s fun! I will weigh in on the moderates. Those are a big rip off money wise.

PTL76

Thoughts?
I have been at every level resort at Disney World since 1973 from the Contemporary to Port Orleans and all star music and more in between and with the price of the “value” resorts now it makes no sense to me to stay on the grounds. The last few years we rented homes within a few miles from Disney for the same cost as a value resort. And the homes are beautiful and spacious When my family goes to Disney we spend our time at the parks not at the resort.

DisneyOutsider

I have been at every level resort at Disney World since 1973 from the Contemporary to Port Orleans and all star music and more in between and with the price of the “value” resorts now it makes no sense to me to stay on the grounds. The last few years we rented homes within a few miles from Disney for the same cost as a value resort. And the homes are beautiful and spacious When my family goes to Disney we spend our time at the parks not at the resort.

This is where I fall with this. Nobody should be paying over $100/night to stay at the Values. Get a nice hotel in Disney Springs, or rent a vacation home just as close for the same price. Rent a car.. It's far and away a more pleasant experience than staying in the All Stars and taking those buses.

Yes, the price jump from Value to Moderate and then Deluxe can be enormous, but in most of those resorts I feel I am gaining something that the outside resorts can't give me (monorail access/walking to parks, fireworks views, diverse dining options, etc.)

spock8113

Stayed at the Pop a few times, for us, not so Dumpy (the Eighth Dwarf).
I've spoken to people who stay at the Grand Floridian and they feel uncomfortable as the aroma of the place
and some of the guests seems to be better then we Valuers.
A Valuer at the Grand Floridian is like a New Yorker in Idaho (Napoleon Dynamite excluded).
Stayed at most of the resorts and I find there to be some differences but not necessarily worth 3 times the price.

The Pop, All-Star, part of the Art, Caribbean and Port Orleans have almost the identical room layout.
The Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge are extremely similar: Yellowstone Lodge vs. Harambe Preserve
The Contemporary and Polynesian being original makes them unique in their own right.

My favorites are the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans, not value resorts.
I find the Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach waaaaaay too big and getting bigger with Vegas-style too-tall hotels.
Structurally, the hotel groups are identical, just the AAAaaahhhhhmmmbeyonce'.
If you like it, put a ring around it!

BraveGirl

Just got back from another amazing trip staying at Pop. As you can see from my signature, I've stayed almost everywhere (my mom was a cast member which helped with the hotel discounts). I do love the pool at BC and the ease of walking to Epcot from BC and Boardwalk. But I just can't justify the extra costs now that we pay regular prices.

The one-stop buses from Pop are clutch. I remember staying at Caribbean Beach and taking forever just to get out of the damn hotel. My kids LOVE the theming of Pop (we haven't stayed at the AS's since they've been born) and love the pools. We just did the Pop scavenger hunt which led us to exploring the whole hotel and trying out every pool (there are three!), and then my kids got to pick a prize from the concierge. So much fun. We purposely scheduled hotel time into this trip because there are always fun things going on for the kids and we never have time to do them - daily pool parties, crafts and games, the caricature artist in the lobby, the arcade - the kids had a blast. Service has ALWAYS been stellar. And the best part - the renovated rooms are AMAZING. We were two adults and two kids and had so much space. The murphy beds are incredible and there are so many cubbies and shelves for storage. And the little "kitchen" area is so handy. Finally, the food court is a necessity with small kids. And people in the parks kept asking where I got my Halloween themed coffee mug (which they sold out of during our trip, so i'm so glad I snagged one immediately!)

If I did a grown-ups only trip, I might consider staying in a moderate or a deluxe, but even then - we are rope-drop to fireworks type of Disney-goers, so spending more money on a room I'm never in is just hard for me to justify!

HouCuseChickie

While we don't stay in the values because of room size and bed size (although Pop could be a consideration with the renovations in this area), I think the themes are cute. The kids also would really miss the slide at pool time. Still, I don't think the themes are tacky, and honestly wish more of that permeated the theme schemes for the mods and deluxe resorts. Don't get me wrong...I like the destination themes in the mods and deluxe resorts, but I also never really felt I needed to be transported to New Orleans or Africa when staying at WDW (or really anywhere). If anything, I find that a bit gimmicky... like when every Vegas resort needed some kind of theme. Yes, they're all tastefully done at WDW, but I think part of why I like the Contemporary (out of the deluxe and mods) is it's the only one (I feel) that's not making you pretend you're anyplace other than WDW.

As for people looking down on the values...I don't think that's the case (for the most part) in Disney fan circles; however, it's very common beyond that. I remember certain "friends" of mine acting like I must have hit hard times because we stayed at a moderate one trip...and that things must be really bad because we resorted to staying at the Swan last time we went to WDW. I've noticed that a number of friends won't even share resort pics if they're not staying deluxe...like there's some shame in staying moderate or value level. It stands out because they tend to overshare if they're at the Poly, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom