Question for those who stay in the values.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Evidently there is an entire segment of folks who feel that the values are basically cheap and tacky and that one sign of the decline in Disney is that they built the values. The old Disney would never have built some thing so "crass" .

my question? Do you like the theming of the values? Do you feel that the service is less?

I know folks who love the values and that their kids really enjoy those over- sized statues.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

wombat

Evidently there is an entire segment of folks who feel that the values are basically cheap and tacky and that one sign of the decline in Disney is that they built the values. The old Disney would never have built some thing so "crass" .

my question? Do you like the theming of the values? Do you feel that the service is less?

I know folks who love the values and that their kids really enjoy those over- sized statues.

Thoughts?
A few years ago I stayed at Pop Century and another year I stayed at All Star Music. I thought that they were pretty good. I appreciate that they do not have the same standard of dining and bus services as the Deluxe resorts but you get what you pay for.

SSH

I really liked the values - and loved the fun cartoony theming - it says Disney to me! We've stayed there dozens of times over the years. The only downside for me: the walls are thin - you hear toilet flushing, babies crying, conversations, - everything comes through. Luck of the draw: we've had quiet neighbors, no problem. We've had a couple of louder ones at times.

The two reasons I won't stay there anymore is (1) the new parking charge (it's about 15% of the room rate, which I think is unreasonable for the all-star's bare bones accommodations, on top of higher room rate increases.) and (2) the daily room security check hassles many guests have been reporting. (Different thread and affects many onsite properties).

But for anyone who really wants/needs to be onsite, I don't think they're a bad choice.

13*Minute*Wait

Thoughts?

The first Disney Resort we ever stayed in was the All Star Music. I thought it was a dump. The theming was non-existent in the rooms, and it just seemed really run down and dirty. We haven't stayed in any of the other value resorts since.

We have since stayed at a few moderate resorts, and have been very happy with the quality of the rooms.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have no issue with the theming or the value resorts in general. Sure, it is over the top and a bit gaudy, but your average kid is going to love it.

As far as service goes, I have stayed at every level of resort at WDW from a standard room in a value all the way to club level at the deluxes and have never had an issue with a CM not giving me anything less than great service.

As to the issue that often gets brought up regarding the typical clientele of a value resort, I have had more issues with that at the deluxe resorts than I have ever had at a value. A polite call from guest services regarding a noise complaint to your average family at a value often works. That same call to a family where the occupant pulls a 7 figure salary and expects every person they encounter to bow to their wishes, not so much.

Nemo14

We haven't stayed on property now for several years, but we did stay at Pop a few times when our kids were growing up. No complaint about the theming really, but DH and I were pretty disgusted that there wasn't even a coffee pot in the room. Hopefully that has changed now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We haven't stayed on property now for several years, but we did stay at Pop a few times when our kids were growing up. No complaint about the theming really, but DH and I were pretty disgusted that there wasn't even a coffee pot in the room. Hopefully that has changed now.
They added them at Pop during the last refurb in 2017. I imagine they will do the same with the others.

Tom 55

When you look at what the differance is between a value resort and a moderate. Something like 50 square feet of room space and a hot tub availability. How much time do you actually stay in your room. How much is that worth to you? I will be down to DW in less than 2 weeks. 2 days at the Contemporary hotel and then 6 days at POP. I was willing to pay the extra cost to stay at Comtemporary as a bucket list item. Could not convice myself that what you get at the deluxe was worth the money for the whole stay.

jaklgreen

I have stayed 3 times at a value, and if you are solo or just a couple then it is OK. It would get cramped with 4 full size people in it. I do want to say that I have had the worst experienced at the values with regards to other guests. The first stay was at Pop for 1 night before our cruise and there were these trashy people out as late as 2 am partying it up with their toddlers out that late. They left beer bottle and trash in the bushes. One other time was at all Star Movies and that was for the duration of my trip and the people 2 doors down from me kept smoking right outside their door. They pulled out a chair and had an ashtray on the ground. The smoke came into my room and I called and went to front desk numerous times and they did NOTHING. They said they had to witness it themselves. Well if they came when I called, or how about just look at the room that has an ashtray outside it. Worse trip ever. I have stayed at almost all of the resorts at WDW in the past 24 years. The value stays were always the worst.

Schneewittchen

Every once in a while, I stop and say how did I go to Hawaii and stay in really nice suite hotels in fantastic locations (full kitchen, huge lanai, 2 bathrooms, large master bedroom) and spend less than I would have spent on a moderate at WDW. Oh, right, it's Disney.

Anyway, I've stayed at All Star Movies with my family for a long weekend trip and like previous posters said, if you're a park commando and don't spend any time in your room, it's a great value. It's a comfortable bed to sleep in with easy access to a quick service breakfast and a place to buy a six pack at night. For our longer trips, I think we'd be dissatisfied on our park-free days at a value.

I have an upcoming weekend trip in November, we'll be at All Star Movies again. For our April trip (usually a 5 - 10 day trip), we usually stay at Fort Wilderness in an RV, but we're doing Caribbean Beach this year.

Back to values. The design/theme at All Star Movies really appeals to children and is well executed, in some ways it reminds me of Bug's Land in DCA. And for just under $110/night, I can't complain. The rooms are clean, the staff are nice, the facilities are well-maintained, and it's easy to get to the bus stop.

Our RV is sick and is probably about to get donated to a worthy cause. So going forward, I think we'll be staying at values for weekend trips in November/February and moderates for the longer March/April trips.

Ricky Spanish

We have stayed on property many times, from the Contemporary on down to the All Stars.
After 30 years, we don't go to WDW for the hotels.
Don't use the pools, or spas, or golf any more.
Don't go to table service restaurants- I live in Chicago and can get better food any day of the week.
May sound crazy, but we enjoy the parks.
So, the All Star Music has been our choice lately.
Rooms are clean, beds are not as comfortable as my Temper Pedic but they are good, and the showers are great after a long day in the parks.
We think service is great.
Used bell services this past trip and they were courteous and quick ( even before the tip).
Ordered pizza late one night, like 12 or 1am, and it showed up pretty fast.
Who cares about the theming?
And I do have a daughter who feels the same way, she'd rather be on a roller coaster than at the hotel.

BettyF

That's good to know - we were surprised that there wasn't one there, considering that the values at the time cost significantly more than your average Motel6 or whatever that always had a pot to get you started in the morning.
I stayed at Music in May and there are no coffee pots.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I've stayed at All Star Movies and Pop Century (before that we always stayed offsite).

First, I like staying onsite. I'd find it difficult to go back to staying offsite. I like the ease of using the Magical Express, access to EMH, and booking FPs 60 days out. I know the bus system isn't perfect but I haven't had many issues myself. My husband and I love not having to navigate or drive ourselves around. I love not ever having to leave the bubble.

As for the resorts themselves, I do enjoy them. Would they be my first choice if I didn't have a budget? No. I dream of one day staying at the Contemporary- or even Port Orleans! But right now we can afford the values and I am really glad they exist. The themes are fun and especially enjoyable for the kiddos. The rooms are small but we only have two people so that is a non-issue. We stayed at AS Movies in 2015 so obviously it was pre-refurb. That room was...okay. It felt outdated, kind of tired, and had minimal theming. Last January we stayed at Pop Century in a refurbished room in the 80s section. What an upgrade! The theme is still minimal (not any less than the old rooms, in my opinion) but it's so clean, modern, and fresh. We had a king bed so I can't comment on the murphy but we absolutely loved our room. Plenty of storage, comfy bed, and the tv is massive! We also felt like our AC worked better (one of our few complaints from AS Movies). The addition of the coffee pot was also a welcome one. Our only real issues with Pop were at the food court and that the quiet pool right by our room never seemed to be open. We liked it well enough that we are planning to stay there again in October! I think it will be so nice when the All Star refurbs are finished because I would absolutely stay at any of them with the updated rooms.

In any case, the value resorts are what they claim to be- basic onsite accommodations. They do the job and let you stay in the bubble!

Spencerrr

I have stayed in all ranges of resorts on property and will not stay at Value anymore for a handful of reasons (mostly transportation and other guest) but I will say I've never found the customer service to be different. Ive had good and bad experiences at all levels so I think that really comes down to the cast member more so than the resort.

belledream

I used to say we stay at Values because we just use them to shower and sleep, but I’ve come to realize how attached I am to them. I like the larger-than-life Disney decor, but I also like odder things like walking through the automatic doors and hearing the noises from the food court echoing down the hallway...going back outside again to the quiet walk to our room. I like the bus stop being just a step away, and opening our door in the morning to that fresh smelling air. Not to say I don’t like opening a door to a hallway or a much more grand or upscale lobby - I absolutely love both. But Values have really felt like home in recent years. :)

And the service has been nothing but great. We’ve had issues with drainage - fixed right away. We’ve had amazing help getting out before Irma last year. We’ve had little gifts left in our room to celebrate anniversaries and honeymoons!

wdwfan22

I stayed at Pop Century one time (only thing available and thought why not give it a try) and thought it was a dump. It's basically a mall food court and a motel style room with minimal theme. For us vacation is about the experience, so a value room isn't gonna cut it. If we were on a budget it would be a moderate resort. However 99% of the time it's a deluxe resort and if nothing is available we change our dates.

ppet

Like others I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and used a few of the off site hotels. I think the over the top theming at the values is aimed at children and is a big hit with them. I would definitely stay at a value again although POFQ is my overall favorite place to stay. WL is my second fav followed by POP. I've never had problems with guests or busses that seem more extreme than the mods or deluxe. In fact the longest wait I ever had for a bus was at the Grand Floridian waiting for a bus to AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom