Question about Value resorts and 5 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedeye18

Hey Folks. Tentatively planning our 5th trip to the world, with a very special and new member of the family; a young girl we are trying to adopt. We are currently a family of 4 and stay in the value resorts (usually Pop). Financially we cannot afford to move up to the moderate resorts. I was wondering how easy it is/any ramifications if we bring her along, and dont mention her when checking in. We would buy her park tickets from ticketsatwork.com, which my company uses. The 4 of us would do the normal room/tickets/dining plan, and we would buy her meals straight up. is this possible? Dont want to get in trouble with the Mouse, but this child has never been to the World! Cannot WAIT to see her face....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
In some of the resorts you used to be able to get a sort of trundle bed, but I don't know if that applies to the value ones (I'm afraid I've never stayed in one myself, and our family is at a firm number of 4). But have you considered one of the family suites at AS Music?

Upvote 0

brent2124

In some of the resorts you used to be able to get a sort of trundle bed, but I don't know if that applies to the value ones (I'm afraid I've never stayed in one myself, and our family is at a firm number of 4). But have you considered one of the family suites at AS Music?
A family suite is over double the cost of a single value and more expensive than a moderate for 5.

Are any of the people under 3? As far as the room no one would ever notice unless all five of you walked up to check in. As far as the dining, it would be a little odd to have 4 people on the DDP and a child with you that is not at the TS restaurants. Really you could just say it was a last minute thing and no 5 people rooms were available if someone said something to you. I have done 5 for a weekend at a value before but not with the DDP.

Upvote 0

erstwo

As far as the hotel goes, if you don't tell them, then they'll never know.
(And I certainly would NOT know this because my MIL tagged along with us - a family of 4- staying in our room at ASMu in March and using some of her 10 day never expire tickets she had already purchased. Nope. I wouldn't know that for that reason. :lookaroun)

I can see the dining thing being tricky, I *guess* a waiter could call you out on the carpet, but really - I don't think they will. For all they know, she's just a friend who decided to come along at the last minute.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Hey Folks. Tentatively planning our 5th trip to the world, with a very special and new member of the family; a young girl we are trying to adopt. We are currently a family of 4 and stay in the value resorts (usually Pop). Financially we cannot afford to move up to the moderate resorts. I was wondering how easy it is/any ramifications if we bring her along, and dont mention her when checking in. We would buy her park tickets from ticketsatwork.com, which my company uses. The 4 of us would do the normal room/tickets/dining plan, and we would buy her meals straight up. is this possible? Dont want to get in trouble with the Mouse, but this child has never been to the World! Cannot WAIT to see her face....

We had to make room for a fifth one time ourselves and had no problems, they were a last second addition and weren't on the DDP with the rest of us and everything seemed to work out. Depending on ages, the room may be a bit cramped, though.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

We had to make room for a fifth one time ourselves and had no problems, they were a last second addition and weren't on the DDP with the rest of us and everything seemed to work out. Depending on ages, the room may be a bit cramped, though.
We also have done 5 in a value back when it was two adults, a 12 years old, a 7 year old and a 4 year old. However, since then it has gotten tight. we now get two connecting rooms at value. Our next trip though, we are moving up to a moderate!

Upvote 0
Our family did this for years before they began the Extra Magic Hours.

We had 5 individuals and Mom and Dad took one bed, sis and I took the other, and brother had an air mattress. It wasn't even that crowded.

Problems you will encounter:

-The DDP may be a bit difficult.
-For Extra Magic Hours, Cast Members will check your room keys. If she doesn't have one, you may be able to get away with saying, "We'd never give her a room key - she's too young." But if they're strict, one parent will need to head home with her while the rest do EMH.

Other than that - hope you have blast - and good luck with the adoption!:animwink:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The short answer is you will need to either get 2 rooms at a value or one room at Port Orleans Riverside.

Here is what can happen....

1.The housekeeping staff is told to look for evidence of extra people staying in a room and report if it they find it. If a room is found to have more people in it than allowed they will give you the option to pay for a second room if available or leave property.
2. You will not be able to get the DDP for the entire party.
3. You will potentiality have problems if you want to use EMH.

Now of course the obvious question...Why does Disney care? Disney cares because it violates the fire code. Disney does not set the occupancy limits the fire martial does. If Disney knowingly violates the fire code they open them selves up to a myriad of legal issues.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

We also have done 5 in a value back when it was two adults, a 12 years old, a 7 year old and a 4 year old. However, since then it has gotten tight. we now get two connecting rooms at value. Our next trip though, we are moving up to a moderate!

Yeah, the next two years we did connecting rooms as well, we may not have even had the DDP during that trip, but I can't completely remember. It was a truly last second addition and they just made do with an air mattress, it was pretty tight but it worked out. Can't remember as much about EMHs, but I know the extra person and a few others in our group aren't morning people, so it was just two or three of us in the morning for any early EMH's and the rest caught up.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Not sure exactly what housekeeping could find to prove you had an extra child. We never leave anything out ...esp personal items like toothbrushes, hairbrushes, etc., I get everything out and put it away daily. Just don't like the thought of them cleaning around that kind of stuff. They probably think we have 10 people in our room with all the shoes we bring...flip flops, crocs, two pairs of tennis shoes per person (rain factor) and water shoes for the water parks. We had five in our room at Movies when our youngest was 18 mths old, she slept in a pack n play. That was cozy but the trip wouldn't have been as much fun w/o our niece along.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not sure exactly what housekeeping could find to prove you had an extra child. We never leave anything out ...esp personal items like toothbrushes, hairbrushes, etc., I get everything out and put it away daily. Just don't like the thought of them cleaning around that kind of stuff. They probably think we have 10 people in our room with all the shoes we bring...flip flops, crocs, two pairs of tennis shoes per person (rain factor) and water shoes for the water parks. We had five in our room at Movies when our youngest was 18 mths old, she slept in a pack n play. That was cozy but the trip wouldn't have been as much fun w/o our niece along.
Most people do not put everything away like you do. The toothbrush thing is a dead giveaway. Things such as are sleeping bags, air mattresses etc, are signs that warrant keeping an eye out.

In your particular case a child does not count against occupancy until they turn three.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

OK, I know this is heretical, but maybe in your situation, it may be worth it to stay at one of the non-Disney owned resorts across from DTD. Rooms at the DoubleTree Guest Suites seem to start at $149 WITHOUT trying to look for any additional discounts (those are rack rates). AAA Membership will probably save you 10-15%. Granted you don't get the "magic" of staying in a Disney resort. You also don't have 5 people in a 277 sq ft room, either. Just saying.

Or try Swan and Dolphin, they have comparable rates to the Doubletree, and you're in the Epcot/Studios area.

Upvote 0

trr1

what are the kids ages?

Upvote 0
I sometimes pick up shifts at Allstar Music as Mousekeeping and no one has ever told me to look out for extra people in a room or in any of my training have I've been told to look out for extras. I'll need to talk to my old trainer to see what she says.:ROFLOL:Our main concern is getting that room clean. I have cleaned a room with 6 people though x_x!!:cry: But! I got to meet the family one day while cleaning up and they were super nice and sweet! We talked for a good 20 minutes and hahah I didn't want to stop chatting it up about Disney but I had about 14 more rooms to clean for the day.

Upvote 0
Hi V! :wave: We're a party of 6 and stay at the Allstar Music suites regularly. 3 times in the past 2 years, and we'll be back down in August. If you ever get a TON of new food and water bottles turned over to Mousekeeping on a Saturday departure, that's our gift to the staff for all the great work you and your peers do. You have to love Gardengrocer for deliveries. Hope to see you down there in August as we love to talk about Disney!

I sometimes pick up shifts at Allstar Music as Mousekeeping and no one has ever told me to look out for extra people in a room or in any of my training have I've been told to look out for extras. I'll need to talk to my old trainer to see what she says.:ROFLOL:Our main concern is getting that room clean. I have cleaned a room with 6 people though x_x!!:cry: But! I got to meet the family one day while cleaning up and they were super nice and sweet! We talked for a good 20 minutes and hahah I didn't want to stop chatting it up about Disney but I had about 14 more rooms to clean for the day.

Upvote 0

mrbghd

FYI, by doing this you are violating state law. If the child you want to adopt is already a ward of the state, this violation of state law could effectively terminate your ability to adopt. That is your choice to make and nothing may come of it but it is a possibllity. Secondly, if this is the only way you can afford this trip, then you cannot afford this trip. Sorry to be so blunt but the fact is if you cannot afford the proper room to add this child to your plans, you cannot afford the trip! Why not stay offsite somewhere more "affordable", or stay a day or two less and get the legally appropriate room. You are trying to do a great thing here but your actions will outweigh your intentions.

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

FYI, by doing this you are violating state law. If the child you want to adopt is already a ward of the state, this violation of state law could effectively terminate your ability to adopt. That is your choice to make and nothing may come of it but it is a possibllity. Secondly, if this is the only way you can afford this trip, then you cannot afford this trip. Sorry to be so blunt but the fact is if you cannot afford the proper room to add this child to your plans, you cannot afford the trip! Why not stay offsite somewhere more "affordable", or stay a day or two less and get the legally appropriate room. You are trying to do a great thing here but your actions will outweigh your intentions.

WOW....really??? Who are you to tell them they can't afford it. Maybe they don't have children that they don't want to be left in a room, or their is some other circumstance where they want them to stay in the same room.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom