Purchase Fastpasses online Prior to visit

Tigger1988

It's built into the ADR system. A travel agent doesn't charge you to make a reservation either but they get their fee because it's built into the system. :wave:

What are you going on about? When I make dining reservations on the Disney site they don't have my credit card and most of the time they don't even have my resort info.

I have mixed feelings about this. It took me 20 years to get back down to Disney, and when I did finally get to go I didnt want to waste my time waiting. We used fastpass for some rides, other's we waited, which is fine. But some rides we missed going on because the wait was too long or the FPs were no longer available. So getting a FP ahead of time would have been nice... BUT...:shrug:
Those rides I missed just made me want to plan my next trip! If everything is checked of someones "to do" list are they less likely to come back? Less money for the mouse...

The Rat King

I wonder if these advanced fast passes (if they go into effect) would have times on them? Or if, since these were "purchased" ahead of time, be generic one ride but at any time of the day? That leaves it open for some more possibilities.

I rarely use fast passes, having been so many times, and only use them when its too hot to wait in a line such as BTM. Just thinking about the whole thing where the earlier you get the fast pass, the earlier you get to go on the ride. How would that hold up if purchased online?

The only way I see this possibly working is if they are any time of day fastpasses. (Which then leads me to wonder how they will deal with people who plan to stay at disney for lets say, a week. If they get a fastpass that says they have to be at a certain park on a certain day to use it..but they had no plans to go to the park that day. Hmm...its a weird concept)

dorothy_l

Original Poster
I'd just like to point out that the question never actually mentions having to "purchase" or "buy" the Fastpass. It uses the completely ubiquitous "secure."

You are absolutely correct on this. Most questions were vague but still surrounded by obtaining a Fastpass prior to arrival. Some questions asked about the method I preferred (call in reservation/request or use the online reservation system). Other questions asked if I was a DVC would I prefer to have the option of purchasing a Fastpass prior to vacation. But to be honest every question followed a question to "explain why I chose my answer" and at the end, I was ready to be finished.

CaptainShortty

You are absolutely correct on this. Most questions were vague but still surrounded by obtaining a Fastpass prior to arrival. Some questions asked about the method I preferred (call in reservation/request or use the online reservation system). Other questions asked if I was a DVC would I prefer to have the option of purchasing a Fastpass prior to vacation. But to be honest every question followed a question to "explain why I chose my answer" and at the end, I was ready to be finished.

My dad read me an article about this somewhere (wish I could find it!) and the way the article was written you wouldn't buy them. It would be set up like an ADR system. I'll keep looking for the article so you guys can see it...

disneygirl1

I have to be honest with you, I am completely AGAINST the idea of fastpass reservations! I have enough things that I HAVE TO plan when I go to Disney I don't want to have to plan when I am going to ride a freaking ride too! Geese, pretty soon going on a to trip to Disney is going to require more planning then a stinking wedding for goodness sake!!!

captainkidd

I have to be honest with you, I am completely AGAINST the idea of fastpass reservations! I have enough things that I HAVE TO plan when I go to Disney I don't want to have to plan when I am going to ride a freaking ride too! Geese, pretty soon going on a to trip to Disney is going to require more planning then a stinking wedding for goodness sake!!!

I agree with this. In fact, one major reason we're not going to WDW next summer is we were so exhausted this year from having to plan our trip like a CIA mission.

You change your mind. If you've got kids, plans change. They may want to go to the Magic Kingdom instead of Epcot one day. You may not be in the mood for Mexican food that you booked 6 months ago. Disney vacations, in order to do, see and eat what you want are becoming impossible without planning the majority of your trip in advance. And while planning is fun, it's becoming more of a pain, and less of a vacation.

The Rat King

After reading the article, I dont see how this is entirely a good idea. It seems like it'd backfire to some degree (at least, thats what I see happening from the idea of even reserving seats for shows in advanced. If I'm waiting X hours for Fantasmic, I wont be happy with someone just walking in and getting a better seat because they packaged their vacation a certainway. To me, it'd seem like a slap to everyone who doesn't go about their vacations that way)

I agree with everything being said about planning for disney becoming a big event. Luckily I live in the area, but for everyone that doesn't...sigh.

Tom

Beta Return
Unless they tie these reservations to an individual person somehow (preferably their Package Reservation Number), it's going to be abused like the ADR system.

They'll need to throttle how many FPs can be ordered in advance, so that there are still plenty available locally. And they need to make sure that people aren't abusing the system or getting multiple FPs for the same time.

This will be a VERY cumbersome system to implement, and the way the rest of Disney's web assets work (extremely poorly), this is destined for failure.

Fastpass is already a huge perk, and to me, it's worth the extra footsteps to go get mine. Allowing people to sit on their couch and order their FPs is just pathetic. Sounds to me like those people probably NEED the extra footsteps in the parks, not another way to avoid moving.

wilkeliza

I have a feeling it won't get very far. When I go to a park that makes you pay for fastpasses I've never used it because the cost to perk ration isn't good enough. I know at Sixflags when the fastpass first rolled out it was 50 dollars for 3 hours for a premium fastpass that let you skip to the front of the line on any ride unlimited for 3 hours. The lower tiers were like cards that you got punched and were only good for 1 line skip on each ride in 3 hours. After your 3 hours expired you had to buy a new card or armband.

I don't like the idea of reserving fastpasses in advance. I agree that people will begin booking fastpasses before they even book their package which will make the entire system faulty. We use ADRs but a dinner reservation is very different then a ride or show reservation. I don't want to have to plan every minute of every Disney vacation. It would be awful to have to figure out expected fastpass wait time plus time to ride and ADR times when dealing with my vacation.

Now if 10 to 20 of the 50 per an hour fastpasses were online I think that would be fine or if maybe the first two rows of a show as compared to the entire audience were up for online reservation it would also be ok. I think if this follows through Disney needs to think hard about how much to offer in advance.

Clever Name

No they don't. You don't even need a method of payment to do ADRs.. and when you do ADRs through Disney, who do you claim they are charging?

When you purchase admission media for any Disney park, a portion of that money goes to transportation, food and beverage, resorts, etc. Nothing is free at WDW. Everyone that buys a ticket to enter a WDW park is paying for the various “free” services. The entire WDW transportation system (boats, buses, monorail, etc.) is not free. The fastpass system is not free. ADR’s are not free. Whether or not you take advantage of those programs, you’re still paying for all those amenities when you buy any WDW admission media.

When you book a room through a travel agent, the travel agent gets a fee from Disney for that service. You can book the same room yourself and you’ll pay the same price. The fee that the travel agent receives is built into the room prices. The bottom line is that like it or not, you are paying a fee for ADR’s, fastpass and other services. Some people tend to take these services for granted and think it doesn’t cost them anything.

I apologize for not providing more detail the first time. :wave:

Tom

Beta Return
When you purchase admission media for any Disney park, a portion of that money goes to transportation, food and beverage, resorts, etc. Nothing is free at WDW. Everyone that buys a ticket to enter a WDW park is paying for the various “free” services. The entire WDW transportation system (boats, buses, monorail, etc.) is not free. The fastpass system is not free. ADR’s are not free. Whether or not you take advantage of those programs, you’re still paying for all those amenities when you buy any WDW admission media.

When you book a room through a travel agent, the travel agent gets a fee from Disney for that service. You can book the same room yourself and you’ll pay the same price. The fee that the travel agent receives is built into the room prices. The bottom line is that like it or not, you are paying a fee for ADR’s, fastpass and other services. Some people tend to take these services for granted and think it doesn’t cost them anything.

I apologize for not providing more detail the first time. :wave:

I think we all get that costs for all of the amenities are built into the price for each ticket, meal or room. The cost of Fastpass is built into the park admission.

But to say we're paying for the pre-order fastpass when we order them is not entirely true, unless they actually CHARGE a fee for them. If you can order them for free, they're technically free.

Getting into the back-end profit center cost sharing is a very complicated topic, and not one to muddy the waters in this thread. They're either going to charge for this service, or they aren't. :)

erasure fan1

Fast Pass Reservations...I guess people can't be spontaneous anymore without being penalized.

Between this and those minute by minute touring plans, why bother going to a theme park at all?

And imagine if a ride shuts down for when people have reserved those fast passes 90s days out?

Chaos!

I guess I just don't understand why people cannot wait on lines. It worked for many years. People survived. You had dining reservations, you just didn't go on that line when you knew it would interfere. You did it earlier in the day or after your meal.

But the thought of people making ride reservations the same way they do the crazy dining reservations so far out? I don't even know where to start with what's wrong with that. :shrug:

I agree, It can be challenging to be spontaneous, and this system would not help the matter. Its funny, I had many trips to Disney before fastpass ever started and we never really had a problem seeing everything we wanted and often still had time left over to swim or whatever in the afternoon. All it really took was some basic planning and strategy.

I sure hope if Disney does this they really think about all the ways to potentially abuse it. If not done right, it could just be a flat out disaster. I really just dont see the need for something like this unless it will be a pay system. And the need wont be from the consumer but from Disney wanting more money.

wendysue

Fast Pass Reservations...I guess people can't be spontaneous anymore without being penalized.

Between this and those minute by minute touring plans, why bother going to a theme park at all?

And imagine if a ride shuts down for when people have reserved those fast passes 90s days out?

Chaos!

I guess I just don't understand why people cannot wait on lines. It worked for many years. People survived. You had dining reservations, you just didn't go on that line when you knew it would interfere. You did it earlier in the day or after your meal.

But the thought of people making ride reservations the same way they do the crazy dining reservations so far out? I don't even know where to start with what's wrong with that. :shrug:

I totally agree! When this plan starts, we are done. Next it will be reservations at the food court and the pool. Oh, and how about if you might want to use the laundry????

captainkidd

Unless they tie these reservations to an individual person somehow (preferably their Package Reservation Number), it's going to be abused like the ADR system.

One thing I realized on our trip this month was it's not really a surprise, or the guests fault that the ADR system is "abused". Seriously - Do you know what you're going to feel like eating 6 months from tonight? You plan the best you can, but as I said earlier, things come up. Plans change. You may be booked at San Angel Inn one night, but you're all tired and go back to your room, or you're just not in the mood for Mexican at that moment.

captainkidd

I totally agree! When this plan starts, we are done. Next it will be reservations at the food court and the pool. Oh, and how about if you might want to use the laundry????

IF they do this, I'll be done as well. It can't be said enough - Disney is becoming more of a hassle than a vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom