Purchase Fastpasses online Prior to visit

BigRedDad

I think the entire system is screwed up. WDW should not have a fastpass system open to all that entire. It should be offered to resort guests only and limited to a total number for a day based on resort choice. People may argue this all they want, but entitlement has its privileges.

I stay Value almost all the time and do not have an issue.
Deluxe Resort Guests: Get 10 FPs each per day
Moderate Resort Guests: Get 7 FPs each per day
Value Resort Guests: Get 5 FPs each per day
Fort Wilderness Campers: Get 5 FPs each per day

If you are not staying on Disney property, you wait in the lines or purchase a FP card that lets you ride 1 of each FP ride for $100 each day.

Universal Studios owns WDW with their Express Pass. I know the two cannot be fairly compared because of the number of resort guests. However, the system works and should be looked at. There has to be a benefit to staying on site. EMH is not the answer.

Roger321

Fastpass Fees?

This is very interesting. A little over a year ago I heard Disney was exploring numerous new Fastpass options like letting you make them when you arrived at your resort, giving Disney property guests a few based on level of resort and letting people make them online once they arrived at their resorts. I can't say I am in favor of selling Fastpasses in exchange for getting them before you arrive. I view Fastpass as part of what you pay for with park admission and any level of gold package that you pay for would diminish the experience for people who chose not to purchase it. There is also something to be said for not pre planning every minute of your stay. The ADRs and special event reservations are already very well organized. I don't think this shoud be drilled down to the rides themselves. Logical or not, those are my thoughts. Have a magical day.

Fastpass

I think the way of getting a fastpass should be equal to all!!
I wouldn`t want to book them in advance as my visits to the parks are spontaneous and what about the weather??!!

mrsdanalind

fast pass reservation.

The reason the suggested plan doesn't sit completely well with me is exactly what you said. The current system of fastpasses already does allow people who prepare and plan to make the most of their vacation, and I'm not sure that this will make things any better. It just seems like it's an extra layer of unnecessary jockeying for position 90 days before your trip that will ultimately result in little more than the results already provided by the current system.

Why not Both? :wave::)I guess that having done WDW a nunber of times, we tend to know which is what... LOL that being said, if you are the type that likes to have things organized, then this is the way to go, but if you are the type that tends to be more relaxed and intutive then go the "traditional" route. Either way makes sense to me, as long as there are still fast passes available at the kiosks for those who want them. In one instance I can think of off the top of my head is the larger tour groups, who tend to clog the fast pass kiosks, this might be a bonus, they could get their passes ahead of time, and not block those who would like to fast pass the regular way.

dramamama

I think the entire system is screwed up. WDW should not have a fastpass system open to all that entire. It should be offered to resort guests only and limited to a total number for a day based on resort choice. People may argue this all they want, but entitlement has its privileges.

I stay Value almost all the time and do not have an issue.
Deluxe Resort Guests: Get 10 FPs each per day
Moderate Resort Guests: Get 7 FPs each per day
Value Resort Guests: Get 5 FPs each per day
Fort Wilderness Campers: Get 5 FPs each per day

If you are not staying on Disney property, you wait in the lines or purchase a FP card that lets you ride 1 of each FP ride for $100 each day.

Universal Studios owns WDW with their Express Pass. I know the two cannot be fairly compared because of the number of resort guests. However, the system works and should be looked at. There has to be a benefit to staying on site. EMH is not the answer.

I have to say I disagree here. Yes, I know many resort guests pay loads for their hotel. But, that is the neat thing about the parks: once you get through the gate no one is "better than you" or "more important" than you because they are richer. On site guests get to enter early or stay later in one park each day and enjoy amenities at their resort. This doesn't affect families with small children as much because they can't always get there early or keep kids out late anyway. Our family has been blessed to get to stay on site at Disney a few times, but we have also stayed off site, because that was the only way we could afford to go those times. Many families scrimp and save for years to take their families on one Disney trip and can only do so if they stay off site. Can you imagine those families explaining to their children why they can't get any/many fastpasses - sorry, sweetie, we can't afford it like those people (who have passed us in every line today.) In my opinion, the entitlement needs to stay outside of the gates of the parks.

stlbobby

If anyone's curious, I will be booking my bathroom break at Epcot for December 29th at 1:24PM in the restrooms next to Spaceship Earth, 3rd stall from the left. And there better not be a wait!

I believe you are overstating it just a bit.

Why bother going on vacation?

You can't eat without being ...now you can't even go to the Haunted Mansion without being .

You do realize you can still do all these things without reservations? No one is forcing anyone to use any reservation system. If spontaneity is your ultimate goal then go and be spontaneous.

Apparently some people have decided, without knowing the tiniest detail of actual implementation, this system will be the death of all fun in the parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I believe you are overstating it just a bit.

You do realize you can still do all these things without reservations? No one is forcing anyone to use any reservation system. If spontaneity is your ultimate goal then go and be spontaneous.

Apparently some people have decided, without knowing the tiniest detail of actual implementation, this system will be the death of all fun in the parks.

If it ain't broke...

unkadug

The thing is, Disney hasn't released any info on actual implementation, so all we have are personal hypotheses of how this will work.

The History of ADR's would suggest that the same gridlock will occur with FastPass.

Do you want to standby and let this happen? Voice your displeasure now before you can't get on any attraction without a 6 month reservation.

stlbobby

Don't all vacations require reservations and planning? I'm going hiking in the Grand Canyon in December and I have to submit my request for a permit 1 August. I have a few days leeway since I'm going in December, but if I was trying for June or July I'd have to have my application in by noon on the first four months out to even have a shot. If I wanted to stay in the lodge at the bottom I 'd have to book it 12-13 months out.

When I've visited NYC I've made hotel and dinner reservations in advance. I've bought tickets for museums and theater performances months ahead of time in cities all over the country.

This doesn't mean I'm prohibited from exploring side trails in the canyon or stopping at a street vendor for a hot dog.

If you want to go anywhere other people want to be you have to plan.

stlbobby

The thing is, Disney hasn't released any info on actual implementation, so all we have are personal hypotheses of how this will work.

The History of ADR's would suggest that the same gridlock will occur with FastPass.

Do you want to standby and let this happen? Voice your displeasure now before you can't get on any attraction without a 6 month reservation.

I love the ADR system. I've never had an issue with it. I've never seen it as gridlock.

I see it as a huge time-saver. Rather than walking up and having to wait for a table I walk in and am seated with-in 5-10 minutes.

It also ensures that the once-in-a-life-timers actually get to do the things that are must haves for them--Cinderella's, Cali Grill, Le Chef's, etc.

I have enjoyed the fastpass system since inception and I have touted it as one of the best things about Disney. I have also had literally dozens of people come back and say how fastpass made their vacation.

EvilQueen-T

i'm a meticulous planner but i just think it's different at a theme park as compared to going to museums etc...as discussed by someone earlier. i've done both. if you don't think they're different i challenge you to go this fall and do halloween horror nights on a friday or saturday at universal studios WITHOUT the vip aka fast pass ticket and you'll vote no no no. same for hallow scream at bush gardens tampa.

unkadug

I love the ADR system. I've never had an issue with it. I've never seen it as gridlock.

I see it as a huge time-saver. Rather than walking up and having to wait for a table I walk in and am seated with-in 5-10 minutes.

It also ensures that the once-in-a-life-timers actually get to do the things that are must haves for them--Cinderella's, Cali Grill, Le Chef's, etc.

I have enjoyed the fastpass system since inception and I have touted it as one of the best things about Disney. I have also had literally dozens of people come back and say how fastpass made their vacation.

I said the history of the ADR system.

In it's inception most people waited until the week of their vacation and could still make their ADRS.

NOW...with free dining...if you don't make your ADRS at the 180 day mark you are SOL.

And FORGET getting a walk up sitdown meal. The same could happen with FastPasses...without an advance FP you will be locked out of all attractions.

So...worse case scenario...you buy a ticket to go to the Magic Kingdom on a whim. You get to the park and you will not be able to eat anywhere and you will not be able to go to any attraction. What did you just pay for?

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't normally dive into these debates but given my displeasure with what the Dining Plan has done to my ability to enjoy Disney restaurants I feel compelled to offer an alternative perspective.

I'll start by acknowledging that I live locally and as a result, many will have no sympathy for my views but I'll throw them out there as an alternative regardless.

Since the advent of the Disney Dining Plan, it has been nearly impossible for any of us who live locally to enjoy Disney restaurants in the way we used to. When you are are at home, you don't make dinner plans 6 months in advance. It used to be an option to make a reservation at some of the most popular restaurants like California Grill a week or so in advance (longer for busy times); but since the Dining Plan, this is no longer an option. It has become nearly impossible to enjoy the Disney restaurants since the introduction of the Dining Plan.

I'm not going to freak out just on a survey about FP's but the pattern that has been publicly acknowledged by Disney does raise concern for those of us not staying in a Disney Resort. What if I'm spending the weekend at the parks with friends who are visiting from out of town. They would be able to get all of their fast passes in advance and as a result, I won't be able to ride any of those attractions with them at the same time. How is that a positive guest experience?

I fear this scenario has the potential to create two classes of guests; those who stay in a Disney Resort and those who don't, including those of us who live local to the parks. The Dining Plan did that and it would be a very unfortunate and negative change to the park guest experience if an evolution of the FP system did similar. If I have to pay extra for FP's because I'm not staying at a Disney Resort when I get there, it is going to change my experience in a negative way.

stlbobby

I said the history of the ADR system.

In it's inception most people waited until the week of their vacation and could still make their ADRS.

NOW...with free dining...if you don't make your ADRS at the 180 day mark you are SOL.

And FORGET getting a walk up sitdown meal. The same could happen with FastPasses...without an advance FP you will be locked out of all attractions.

So...worse case scenario...you buy a ticket to go to the Magic Kingdom on a whim. You get to the park and you will not be able to eat anywhere and you will not be able to go to any attraction. What did you just pay for?

I have been going regularly since the late 80's, I'm not sure how far back the ADR's go or to what exactly you are referring. You are also exaggerating the lack of walk-up meals. Even in the busiest times of the year there are tons of places to eat on a whim. Yes Le Cellier, Cindy's and a few others are booked months out, but there are tons of tables you can get with a few hours notice or even walking up. I've never had a problem finding something great to eat when I've decided to just wing it.

And the idea that stand-by lines will just disappear is completely ridiculous. Stand-by didn't disappear when fastpass came along and it will still be there long after any new system is put in place.

Disney is very savvy when it comes to making these kinds of things seamless as possible.

Mickey is King

It might be o.k. if it were some sort of "dream pass" where you got a certain amount of FP for "anytime ride" so to speak- just walk on when you like, not a time reservation for attractons.
Of course keeping in mind you would probably only get a certain amount of FP per person, per park ,for each day of your park pass.

Doesn't Universal Orlando do something like that?

acishere

Don't all vacations require reservations and planning? I'm going hiking in the Grand Canyon in December and I have to submit my request for a permit 1 August. I have a few days leeway since I'm going in December, but if I was trying for June or July I'd have to have my application in by noon on the first four months out to even have a shot. If I wanted to stay in the lodge at the bottom I 'd have to book it 12-13 months out.

When I've visited NYC I've made hotel and dinner reservations in advance. I've bought tickets for museums and theater performances months ahead of time in cities all over the country.

This doesn't mean I'm prohibited from exploring side trails in the canyon or stopping at a street vendor for a hot dog.

If you want to go anywhere other people want to be you have to plan.
The thing is with NYC if you choose not to buy your museum tickets months in advance, unless is a special case like the Tim Burton exhibit at MoMA, you aren't screwed out of being able to get in. I can during my lunch break on a whim decide to walk around the Met and I will not be penalized in any way for the spontaneous decision. If I don't make ADR in NYC, I have a whole city of options and the best places a lot of times I can walk right in and sit down. Not everything needs to be part of a schedule. Things that require a permit or to reserve a set performance time are one thing, but to make everything in a park like WDW have an advance reservation system is just going to cause issues. The people who reserve a time 6 months in advance will hog all the fastpasses and just clog the lines. Just like EvilQueen said they do at Halloween Horror Nights and at my local 6 Flags.

stlbobby

I don't normally dive into these debates but given my displeasure with what the Dining Plan has done to my ability to enjoy Disney restaurants I feel compelled to offer an alternative perspective.

I'll start by acknowledging that I live locally and as a result, many will have no sympathy for my views but I'll throw them out there as an alternative regardless.

Since the advent of the Disney Dining Plan, it has been nearly impossible for any of us who live locally to enjoy Disney restaurants in the way we used to. When you are are at home, you don't make dinner plans 6 months in advance. It used to be an option to make a reservation at some of the most popular restaurants like California Grill a week or so in advance (longer for busy times); but since the Dining Plan, this is no longer an option. It has become nearly impossible to enjoy the Disney restaurants since the introduction of the Dining Plan.

I'm not going to freak out just on a survey about FP's but the pattern that has been publicly acknowledged by Disney does raise concern for those of us not staying in a Disney Resort. What if I'm spending the weekend at the parks with friends who are visiting from out of town. They would be able to get all of their fast passes in advance and as a result, I won't be able to ride any of those attractions with them at the same time. How is that a positive guest experience?

I fear this scenario has the potential to create two classes of guests; those who stay in a Disney Resort and those who don't, including those of us who live local to the parks. The Dining Plan did that and it would be a very unfortunate and negative change to the park guest experience if an evolution of the FP system did similar. If I have to pay extra for FP's because I'm not staying at a Disney Resort when I get there, it is going to change my experience in a negative way.

Let's face it WDW is designed for vacationers and not locals. I don't think it will be as bad as you envision it and I also don't understand how you are unable to get reservations to Disney restaurants. I got day-of seating at 7:30 at Cali Grill during a trip two weeks before X-mas. I'm sure there are times and certain venues that can be hard to access, but the idea that all of Disney Dining is closed off and all due to the Dining plan seems a bit of an overstatement.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I love this idea. I love planning. I get almost as excited about making my ADR's as I do about actually going to Disney.

I also think that those willing to put in the time and plan ahead should be rewarded with a smoother vacation. Isn't it the American way that hard work is rewarded?

The naysayers are assuming the worst. I doubt these new fastpasses will make everyone plan everything down to the minute. More likely they will be for certain windows or a particular number of rides per day. The new passes will be worked into the system currently in place and the average guest won't even notice a difference.

I also doubt WDW will be selling these passes. They have seen the resentment that causes in other parks. WDW is a master of providing upscale options without throwing it in the face of the average park attendee--Club 33 or Wishes Dessert Party.

My money is on them including the option in packages. This has been their strategy for years. The only distinction made in the parks is on-property guests and off-property guests. Just like extra magic hours this will be used to lure people into the hotels. Where they really make their money anyway.

Those complaining about the lack of spontaneity are forgetting three things.

First, the parks are so much busier all-year-round now, moving people efficiently is a much higher priority than in the past.

Second, they are forgetting for the average visitor, not the fanatics here on this board, WDW is a once every few years or once in a lifetime vacation. For those people they hate waiting in the lines, especially with small children, and they want to "see it all". This will help on both accounts.

Finally, no one is forcing anyone to use ADR's, hotel reservations, or this possible new system. If spontaneity is your ultimate goal then don't use these systems and just go and have fun.

100 percent agree with both your posts here. I really dont think we should be jumping the gun assuming that they're implementing a system where it be like getting a fast pass the way it stands now --for a particular day and time.:shrug:
Also adressing the whole ADR bdiscussion this brings up --(outside of some of the food offerings being affected or limited) many people have stated that save a few very popular restaraunts such as ohana, that people can still walk up and get seats at most places. So it seems that disney still works for the planner and the non planner albiet not as enjoyable in some cases when the parks are filled to capacity.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Let's face it WDW is designed for vacationers and not locals. I don't think it will be as bad as you envision it and I also don't understand how you are unable to get reservations to Disney restaurants. I got day-of seating at 7:30 at Cali Grill during a trip two weeks before X-mas. I'm sure there are times and certain venues that can be hard to access, but the idea that all of Disney Dining is closed off and all due to the Dining plan seems a bit of an overstatement.

You have to admit that your perspective on ADR's is anecdotal at best. I'm not looking at a specific date, but nearly a decade of experiences since moving to Orlando. The reality is that perspective is also shared by anyone who for any reason is not staying at a Disney resort hotel. They could be staying with family locally instead of a Disney resort. This has the 'potential' to create two classes of guests and that is simply not a positive for the guest experience.

Suggesting that because I visit a few dozen times a year, I should have less of an experience is exactly the negative viewpoint that I'm concerned about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom