Purchase Fastpasses online Prior to visit

the-reason14

IMHO, the current system is fair and efficient. The reserving of fastpasses alienates local guests and vacationing guests who are not familiar enough with the parks to plan effectively. In short, I really hope that this does not come to fruition.

This. IMO, if they wanted to do these drastic changes to the system, they should have done it a year or 2, hell maybe even 5 after it was introduced. There's nothing wrong with the system now because everyone has an equal playing field. If they change it up for people staying on site and at the higher end on site hotels, well I just think that's BS. Everybody who walks through the turnstyles of any park has an equal opportunity to get fastpasses, and that's how it should stay. Sure if you arrive late then you're kind of screwed, but that was your own choosing. All of what I've heard of what could be with this, I do not like. Ya, I haven't seen it or experienced it first hand and probably should wait and see, but I can't imagine my reaction to getting to space mt. at 9:05 after waiting 30+ minutes or so for the park to open, just to see that it's 'sold out.' On to guest relations I would go!

Tom

Beta Return
It is interesting you brought up Toy Story Mania. Toy Story Mania and booking Fastpasses run hand in hand here. I was at Disney in June. I had Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania. As I walked by the people in standby I had this thought. Why have a stand by line? This ride, obviously is more popular than Disney could have imagined. The wait time is usually, at the minimum is 60 minutes. As a business, you do not want a customer standing around doing nothing for an hour or more (When shops and food and drinks are right around the corner). Why not use this as a Fastpass only ride? Then booking online makes sense. You just have to limit people with the number of visits per day.

I thing TSM would be well suited for the "take a number" system they tested at RnRC. They could also do it like the new Dumbo, with the interactive area to hang out in until they call your number.

The queue area is wide open. They could simply remove all the railings and install some games and benches. A nice place to get some A/C, mill around, and wait for your number to be called. They could also allow put in a snack vendor and a corner gift shop to capture some revenue.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I thing TSM would be well suited for the "take a number" system they tested at RnRC. They could also do it like the new Dumbo, with the interactive area to hang out in until they call your number.

The queue area is wide open. They could simply remove all the railings and install some games and benches. A nice place to get some A/C, mill around, and wait for your number to be called. They could also allow put in a snack vendor and a corner gift shop to capture some revenue.

Bad Tom...Bad

Never bring logic to the table.

stlbobby

What WDW is working on in regard to the pre-purchase of fastpasses is a new RFID system that will be part of all new admission media. Current admission media has to be read with either a magmatic strip reader (like a credit card) or a barcode reader. Both systems have a lot of drawbacks but the main problem is that that their programming is not easily updateable. The other problem is that they have to be put into a machine and scanned to verify the information. In addition, Disney uses the finger geometry biometric to authenticate admission media. That requires guests to insert their finger into a scanner and wait for the results.

The new RFID system will speed things up and improve authentication security. The admission media will not have to be inserted into a reader. It will just have to be waved past a reader. The position of the admission media is unimportant. As a matter of fact, the RFID can be read and interrogated from up to 35 feet away. If Disney wants to, they’ll be able to track your every move in each of their parks. The best part is that they intend to do away with the finger geometry biometric and switch to biometric face recognition. An infrared camera will read your face as you enter the park and match it up to your RFID. Needless to say there are other homeland security advantages to this system as well.

Each RFID will be instantly programmable and upgradable so new information can be added or subtracted as needed on the fly. This will be used for money transactions and fastpass purchases. Just like the existing resort room cards, you’ll be able to allow credit card charging amounts (in $500.00 increments) to your RFID card. All RFID cards will have a set of “free*” fastpass allocations. However, if you wish to exceed the “free*” limit, you can purchase additional fastpasses as needed. You won’t have to go to a booth, machine or ticket window to purchase additional fastpasses. It will be done automatically as you enter the fastpass queue via the RFID and be charged to whatever line of credit you desire. This system will totally eliminate the current fastpass dispensing machines. They're doing some small scale testing now. :wave:

*It isn't really free. I'm just using that term because people like to think it's free.

What is your source of this information? Are they testing just the RFID system or the RFID and fastpass system?

If this is the new system then it doesn't seem to have the reservation component everyone is so worried about. This sounds like each guest is allotted a number of fastpasses to use as they wish. I bet bigger vacation packages will get a fastpass bonus. Are these assumptions correct?

The only part I really don't like is buying more fastpasses. It won't be as bad as Universal's system where the privileged continuously walk past the masses, but it does tilt the playing field.

stlbobby

I know...I'm sorry :(

I need to think before I say things.

I think your idea might be the future, at least to an extent, for two reasons.

One, people will have a more pleasant time. Bringing in repeat business and generating better word of mouth. Two, it will give people opportunities to buy more stuff.

Both are revenue generators, one directly, one indirectly, and that is the best motivation for changes.

stlbobby

That's because "prices" is never an available choice on the questionnaire. Disney polls to get the answer it wants.

I didn't mean in polls. I was just talking about the visitors I talk too. I know it isn't a scientific sample, but I think it is a reasonable extrapolation.

I also don't think Disney is concerned with the guests that think things are overpriced. They aren't going to lower prices, and even if they did most of those people still won't be satisfied.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
If anyone's curious, I will be booking my bathroom break at Epcot for December 29th at 1:24PM in the restrooms next to Spaceship Earth, 3rd stall from the left. And there better not be a wait!

:lol:
OOOO, let's schedule a WDWMAGIC group meet! Like,~ 1:40 outside the bathroom. Don't want to rush you.

I said the history of the ADR system.

In it's inception most people waited until the week of their vacation and could still make their ADRS.

NOW...with free dining...if you don't make your ADRS at the 180 day mark you are SOL.

And FORGET getting a walk up sitdown meal. The same could happen with FastPasses...without an advance FP you will be locked out of all attractions.

So...worse case scenario...you buy a ticket to go to the Magic Kingdom on a whim. You get to the park and you will not be able to eat anywhere and you will not be able to go to any attraction. What did you just pay for?

I didn't mean in polls. I was just talking about the visitors I talk too. I know it isn't a scientific sample, but I think it is a reasonable extrapolation.

I also don't think Disney is concerned with the guests that think things are overpriced. They aren't going to lower prices, and even if they did most of those people still won't be satisfied.

We lucked out because Easter Week, we walked up to 5 different restaurants, including Le Cellier, and were able to get a table. I have to admit I was surprised. Of course, I was also able to book 1 bd at both AKV and BCV 1 week before our trip.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about a possible change to the FP system. If Disney offered a paid FP that allowed so many rides per day, I'd buy it. It would likely be cheaper than a VIP tour. IMO, this would be fair as everyone would have the option of purchasing the fastpasses. I'd be more in favor if this than having to plan which FPs to buy a number of days out from a trip.

Of course, in the end, it doesn't matter what we think. If it did, there would be resort and park specific merchandise and resort prices would not be so exorbitant.

stlbobby

We lucked out because Easter Week, we walked up to 5 different restaurants, including Le Cellier, and were able to get a table. I have to admit I was surprised. Of course, I was also able to book 1 bd at both AKV and BCV 1 week before our trip.

I'm glad you had a great trip.

stlbobby

Thank-you. We had pixie dust absolutely pouring on us. Hoping you and everyone else here as magical a trip as this last one was for us.

I'm going in December on a big family trip. It is all planned out. We've got tons of ADR's and the girls have their spa day reserved.

My wife and I are thinking about trying to do a long weekend in October. I can't go before then because I'm in an Army class and I don't have the free time. But that trip will be completely by the seat of our pants if we get to do it.

The one thing I do know is both trips will be magical. I'm glad to have reservations in December so I'm assured of getting some of my favorites and we have a couple first time guest and we want to make sure they get to see certain things. The other trip will be an adventure and while I probably won't do 'Ohana's or Le Cellier I'm sure I will have a ton of great food and fun and maybe even discover something completely new.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
I'm going in December on a big family trip. It is all planned out. We've got tons of ADR's and the girls have their spa day reserved.

My wife and I are thinking about trying to do a long weekend in October. I can't go before then because I'm in an Army class and I don't have the free time. But that trip will be completely by the seat of our pants if we get to do it.

The one thing I do know is both trips will be magical. I'm glad to have reservations in December so I'm assured of getting some of my favorites and we have a couple first time guest and we want to make sure they get to see certain things. The other trip will be an adventure and while I probably won't do 'Ohana's or Le Cellier I'm sure I will have a ton of great food and fun and maybe even discover something completely new.

Fingers crossed you get to go in Oct. Thanks for your service!!!

Tom

Beta Return
What is your source of this information? Are they testing just the RFID system or the RFID and fastpass system?

If this is the new system then it doesn't seem to have the reservation component everyone is so worried about. This sounds like each guest is allotted a number of fastpasses to use as they wish. I bet bigger vacation packages will get a fastpass bonus. Are these assumptions correct?

The only part I really don't like is buying more fastpasses. It won't be as bad as Universal's system where the privileged continuously walk past the masses, but it does tilt the playing field.

I agree. I hope Disney never sells Fastpasses. It's a perk that guests appreciate, especially when the park down the street sells this perk, for a hefty fee in my opinion.

I don't believe that wealth should grant you more privileges (in this scenario). Everyone should be given equal access to Fastpasses, and then it's survival of the fittest. If you don't know how to manage your time or plan properly, you can keep standing in line. But if you put a little thought into your day, you can cut out some SERIOUS time standing in line by using the system...as is...correctly.

As for RFID, I'm very excited for this technology to be implemented at WDW. Not only will it streamline the experience for guests, but it will ultimately (in theory only, likely not in real life, knowing Disney) cut down on operating costs because theft, sharing of tickets, and wasted CM time will be cut down considerably. If they're taking a photo of my face when I enter each park, who cares? Every major sports stadium and airport is already doing it.

stlbobby

Fingers crossed you get to go in Oct. Thanks for your service!!!

I hope I get to do it. It's more about finding the time at my civilian job. I'm a reservist and I've been gone since June. So I can just picture my boss' face when I get back the first week of October and try and get a Friday and Monday off two weeks later. :ROFLOL:

But their pretty good about those kinds of things. I know it will be busy with the anniversary and festival, but if we do it, it will have to be last minute. We may even have to stay off property.:eek:

I'm kind of looking forward to just going and seeing what happens. One of my best trips ever my wife decided to surprise me with 4 days at SS when I was home on leave from Iraq. We had decided not to renew our annual passes, since I was going to be overseas. We didn't go to the parks at all and decided to do all the stuff we always wanted try, but never around to doing--mini-golf, water parks, etc. It was a great time.

It's just hard to justify with the big trip in December and I'm hiking the Grand Canyon the week after Christmas (if my permit gets approved, I sent it in Monday). I may have to push off the weekend trip until spring. (Or I may have to go in October and spring. :))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom