Purchase Fastpasses online Prior to visit

fosse76

Well we COULD get wiped out tomorrow by an asteroid ending all of earth... but we know it WON'T happen because we know it takes time for that and we have a horizon out which we can see.

That's not true. Observors often spot asteroids, comets and other space "debris" AFTER near-brushes with earth. So it is plausible that one can strike the earth without us having detected it advance. Plus there is a lot of phenomena in the universe that can destroy the earth and be undetectable until it happens.
:)

We use intelligence to predict the future based on what we know to eliminate the improbable events.

Yet in the past decade we've been repeating the mistakes of the past. :shrug:

So yes, Disney COULD do this.. Disney COULD also shutdown tomorrow and liquidate the place. But neither is going to happen.

Well, no they couldn't. They could shut down, yes. But liquidating would take a lot of time. :p

erasure fan1

You're right many people don't understand the system, but many do, some use it without getting the most out of it. It is a sliding scale, but the people to whom the new system is targeted the hyper-planners will love it and learn it inside and out.

Finally, here's a question, if no one will be able to figure this out, then why is anyone worried about all the passes being used up?

I was really just looking at it from a PR stand point. I would think Disney would really want to turn once every 10yrs or once in a lifetime guests into more frequent guests. My opinion is this system wont help that. Its those infrequent guests who I feel might be hurt by this, not you or I who will have it nailed down well before our visits. I have no doubt that there would be more than enough people who will figure it out to risk a major strain on the FP system. And also, there will be plenty of people who will feel they got hosed because of a system like this.

stlbobby

I was really just looking at it from a PR stand point. I would think Disney would really want to turn once every 10yrs or once in a lifetime guests into more frequent guests. My opinion is this system wont help that. Its those infrequent guests who I feel might be hurt by this, not you or I who will have it nailed down well before our visits. I have no doubt that there would be more than enough people who will figure it out to risk a major strain on the FP system. And also, there will be plenty of people who will feel they got hosed because of a system like this.

I don't think we can really discuss this to any extent without knowing even the smallest details. At this point WDW is just doing market research, they probably don't even have an actual plan yet.

Even when the plan is announced it really will be impossible to predict people's reactions. Some newbies will love it, others will feel it is a pain, others will be upset no matter what.

The one thing I do know is that the number one complaint from casual guests and those that haven't even been to WDW, or haven't been in decades, is the lines are too long.

Clever Name

I don't think we can really discuss this to any extent without knowing even the smallest details. At this point WDW is just doing market research, they probably don't even have an actual plan yet.

Even when the plan is announced it really will be impossible to predict people's reactions. Some newbies will love it, others will feel it is a pain, others will be upset no matter what.

The one thing I do know is that the number one complaint from casual guests and those that haven't even been to WDW, or haven't been in decades, is the lines are too long.

What WDW is working on in regard to the pre-purchase of fastpasses is a new RFID system that will be part of all new admission media. Current admission media has to be read with either a magmatic strip reader (like a credit card) or a barcode reader. Both systems have a lot of drawbacks but the main problem is that that their programming is not easily updateable. The other problem is that they have to be put into a machine and scanned to verify the information. In addition, Disney uses the finger geometry biometric to authenticate admission media. That requires guests to insert their finger into a scanner and wait for the results.

The new RFID system will speed things up and improve authentication security. The admission media will not have to be inserted into a reader. It will just have to be waved past a reader. The position of the admission media is unimportant. As a matter of fact, the RFID can be read and interrogated from up to 35 feet away. If Disney wants to, they’ll be able to track your every move in each of their parks. The best part is that they intend to do away with the finger geometry biometric and switch to biometric face recognition. An infrared camera will read your face as you enter the park and match it up to your RFID. Needless to say there are other homeland security advantages to this system as well.

Each RFID will be instantly programmable and upgradable so new information can be added or subtracted as needed on the fly. This will be used for money transactions and fastpass purchases. Just like the existing resort room cards, you’ll be able to allow credit card charging amounts (in $500.00 increments) to your RFID card. All RFID cards will have a set of “free*” fastpass allocations. However, if you wish to exceed the “free*” limit, you can purchase additional fastpasses as needed. You won’t have to go to a booth, machine or ticket window to purchase additional fastpasses. It will be done automatically as you enter the fastpass queue via the RFID and be charged to whatever line of credit you desire. This system will totally eliminate the current fastpass dispensing machines. They're doing some small scale testing now. :wave:

*It isn't really free. I'm just using that term because people like to think it's free.

Krack

That's because "prices" is never an available choice on the questionnaire. Disney polls to get the answer it wants.

KingdomofDreams

What WDW is working on in regard to the pre-purchase of fastpasses is a new RFID system that will be part of all new admission media. Current admission media has to be read with either a magmatic strip reader (like a credit card) or a barcode reader. Both systems have a lot of drawbacks but the main problem is that that their programming is not easily updateable. The other problem is that they have to be put into a machine and scanned to verify the information. In addition, Disney uses the finger geometry biometric to authenticate admission media. That requires guests to insert their finger into a scanner and wait for the results.

The new RFID system will speed things up and improve authentication security. The admission media will not have to be inserted into a reader. It will just have to be waved past a reader. The position of the admission media is unimportant. As a matter of fact, the RFID can be read and interrogated from up to 35 feet away. If Disney wants to, they’ll be able to track your every move in each of their parks. The best part is that they intend to do away with the finger geometry biometric and switch to biometric face recognition. An infrared camera will read your face as you enter the park and match it up to your RFID. Needless to say there are other homeland security advantages to this system as well.

Each RFID will be instantly programmable and upgradable so new information can be added or subtracted as needed on the fly. This will be used for money transactions and fastpass purchases. Just like the existing resort room cards, you’ll be able to allow credit card charging amounts (in $500.00 increments) to your RFID card. All RFID cards will have a set of “free*” fastpass allocations. However, if you wish to exceed the “free*” limit, you can purchase additional fastpasses as needed. You won’t have to go to a booth, machine or ticket window to purchase additional fastpasses. It will be done automatically as you enter the fastpass queue via the RFID and be charged to whatever line of credit you desire. This system will totally eliminate the current fastpass dispensing machines. They're doing some small scale testing now. :wave:

*It isn't really free. I'm just using that term because people like to think it's free.

Interesting info. Any insight into when we might see this rolled out?

Oddysey

I think the entire system is screwed up. WDW should not have a fastpass system open to all that entire. It should be offered to resort guests only and limited to a total number for a day based on resort choice. People may argue this all they want, but entitlement has its privileges.

I stay Value almost all the time and do not have an issue.
Deluxe Resort Guests: Get 10 FPs each per day
Moderate Resort Guests: Get 7 FPs each per day
Value Resort Guests: Get 5 FPs each per day
Fort Wilderness Campers: Get 5 FPs each per day

If you are not staying on Disney property, you wait in the lines or purchase a FP card that lets you ride 1 of each FP ride for $100 each day.

Universal Studios owns WDW with their Express Pass. I know the two cannot be fairly compared because of the number of resort guests. However, the system works and should be looked at. There has to be a benefit to staying on site. EMH is not the answer.

What about the locals or AP holders? Should our enjoyment of the attractions at the parks be compromised because we live minutes from the parks, and dont need a room? Are you suggesting that the combined $1000 that my wife and I spent on our APs is not enough to grant us equal privelages when compared to a resort guest? Your suggestion that I should spend an additional $100 for fastpasses every day that I visit the parks is hardly reasonable.

IMHO, the current system is fair and efficient. The reserving of fastpasses alienates local guests and vacationing guests who are not familiar enough with the parks to plan effectively. In short, I really hope that this does not come to fruition.

Why not Both? I guess that having done WDW a nunber of times, we tend to know which is what... LOL that being said, if you are the type that likes to have things organized, then this is the way to go, but if you are the type that tends to be more relaxed and intutive then go the "traditional" route. Either way makes sense to me, as long as there are still fast passes available at the kiosks for those who want them. In one instance I can think of off the top of my head is the larger tour groups, who tend to clog the fast pass kiosks, this might be a bonus, they could get their passes ahead of time, and not block those who would like to fast pass the regular way.

But you cant have both. If fastpasses are reserved ahead of time then there will be less passes available at the kiosk when the park opens, and less will be distributed to guest taking the "traditional route." If somehow they dont reduce the number available at the kiosk, then the stand by lines will be extremely long because fastpasses will be over distributed. over distributing penalizes locals or guests who chose the "traditional route" because the stand by line will be too long to support spontinaity. Lastly, can you imagine how many fastpasses will be wasted when those that reserved them 90 days in advance change there plans, and decide to let their passes go to waste. While this happens in the park with the current system, it is even more likely to happen when booking a time for an attraction that far in advance. Especially for guest who are less familiar with the parks and book a 8:00pm ride on Test Track, and when 8:00pm rolls around they realize that Test Track is not located at the MK (or as they would say "Disney World") like they originally thought, but is actually located at Epcot.

You do realize you can still do all these things without reservations? No one is forcing anyone to use any reservation system. If spontaneity is your ultimate goal then go and be spontaneous.

Apparently some people have decided, without knowing the tiniest detail of actual implementation, this system will be the death of all fun in the parks.

I believe you are overstating it just a bit.

I don't know how they are going to roll this out but I can tell you my family was fortunate enough to get dream fast passes back in 2008. It was basically a fast pass to be used once at 8 different attractions in the magic kingdom. We had a blast! If they could somehow let that happen for everyone I think people would really enjoy it. The fast pass was good for the entire day so you could go at whatever pace you wanted and still be spontaneous.

If they somehow make this happen for everone then the fastpass line becomes the stand by line. It simply is not possible.

SCB502

The worst part of this idea is PURCHASE your fast passes. If I could order my rides at 11,1,3,5,7,9 and 11 o'clock that would be great. I could go in the park early then use those times to do more than I do now and I already never wait more than twenty minutes for a ride. However the purchase part is horrible. When is enough money enough Disney? I may decide to spend my 3-5 thousand dollars for several weeks at the beach compared to one week at Disney.

KingdomofDreams

If Clever Name is correct (and I have no idea if they are or not) it appears that a set number of "free" Fastpasses will be included in every park ticket at purchase. What that number will be has not been answered yet. Any additional Fastpass entries beyond those included with your park ticket will come at an additional cost. But at this point we have no idea what that cost will be. It would be nice for them to be available on a "per ride" basis for a reasonable cost so people who only wanted to FP one or two rides beyond those included with their park ticket would not be out a huge amount of cash to do so.

However it ends up being structured, I seriously doubt AP holders will be left out in the cold. And most likely, resort guests will have some additional benefit as a perk of being a resort guest, which I think is appropriate and a good decision. Whether it's an additional number of Fastpasses, or advance scheduling, or both, remains to be answered. There was no mention of how timing factors into all this and I'm curious about that.

I'm anxious to hear more about it and see how it all plays out. I'll just say that hopefully Disney will manage this with careful consideration of the guest experience in mind. I know they are a business and they are in business to make a healthy profit, but from a guest perspective, this system can either be a win or a major lose. Getting greedy and "over-selling" passes will result in very low guest satisfaction all the way around.

disneyrcks

If Clever Name is correct (and I have no idea if they are or not) it appears that a set number of "free" Fastpasses will be included in every park ticket at purchase. What that number will be has not been answered yet. Any additional Fastpass entries beyond those included with your park ticket will come at an additional cost. But at this point we have no idea what that cost will be. It would be nice for them to be available on a "per ride" basis for a reasonable cost so people who only wanted to FP one or two rides beyond those included with their park ticket would not be out a huge amount of cash to do so.

However it ends up being structured, I seriously doubt AP holders will be left out in the cold. And most likely, resort guests will have some additional benefit as a perk of being a resort guest, which I think is appropriate and a good decision. Whether it's an additional number of Fastpasses, or advance scheduling, or both, remains to be answered. There was no mention of how timing factors into all this and I'm curious about that.

I'm anxious to hear more about it and see how it all plays out. I'll just say that hopefully Disney will manage this with careful consideration of the guest experience in mind. I know they are a business and they are in business to make a healthy profit, but from a guest perspective, this system can either be a win or a major lose. Getting greedy and "over-selling" passes will result in very low guest satisfaction all the way around.

Thank you this has been a great breakdown of what is going on. I wouldn't mind fastpasses for whenever we want(as in we pay for a bunch of FP's we can use whenever, but I will not make a reservation for fastpasses. I understand the people here who are planners but really? It is not cool and will take the spontenity out of vacations.

phllymouse

While it could certainly work in principle, the transition period would be chaos. There would likely be a steep learning curve for those of us who already know how to "do Disney" under the current system, and I feel like the poor souls who already wait 2+ hours for TSMM would be completely screwed.

It is interesting you brought up Toy Story Mania. Toy Story Mania and booking Fastpasses run hand in hand here. I was at Disney in June. I had Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania. As I walked by the people in standby I had this thought. Why have a stand by line? This ride, obviously is more popular than Disney could have imagined. The wait time is usually, at the minimum is 60 minutes. As a business, you do not want a customer standing around doing nothing for an hour or more (When shops and food and drinks are right around the corner). Why not use this as a Fastpass only ride? Then booking online makes sense. You just have to limit people with the number of visits per day.

EvilQueen-T

It almost reminds me of the days of A,B,C,D,E tickets. Back then you knew you'd only get to ride something once or you had to purchase more tickets. Very carnival/state fair like. So with purchasing fast passes it could be like paying for an all day experience then also paying like back in the day. not lovin' it. i for one hope they just leave it alone.

paul436

I'd be all for it. Why not make the most of your trip.

I agree. I am taking a Disney Cruise next year out of NYC and one of our ports will be Port Canaveral. We will be able to spend one day at WDW. With such a limited time window, I would love to be able to get fastpasses ahead of time and enjoy as many attractions as possible. With only 12 - 14 hours to spend in the parks that one hour waiting on a line is very unattractive.

CaptainJackNO

Just took a survey for Disney asking many questions on Fastpass reservations prior to my visit....setting it up just like how making a reservation for dining. My question is two-part....what do you think about this move and does anyone have any more info on this?

--one of the questions asked---
"Assuming you could secure FASTPASS experience 90 days before arriving at the Disney Parks, when should Disney allow guests to begin booking?"
A.) 180 days
B.) 90 days
C.) No preferences

Horrible idea on Disney's part. I do not like it. There is no reason why you cannot show up and get your fastpasses as always.

In fact, I would have no problem with them doing away with fastpass all together (although it will not happen.) It's really voodoo math, these fastpasses. It does shorten the wait for those with fastpasses. But, it significantly increases wait time in stand-by lines. And, in many cases, fastpass isn't so fast any longer. Namely test track, soarin', and Space Mountain.

If they institute this practice, I will have to take advantage of it to avoid the ridiculous long lines of stand-by. But, I would prefer they leave it alone.

If they charge for it, that would be obscene. I know Universal does it, and that's obscene, too. For 100 bucks a day, you should not have to pay extra for the attractions, even the convenience of a shorter line. If that happens, it ends up being, almost like a caste system. Blah...I'll shut up now. I just think this would be wrong on many, many levels.

CaptainJackNO

What about the locals or AP holders? Should our enjoyment of the attractions at the parks be compromised because we live minutes from the parks, and dont need a room? Are you suggesting that the combined $1000 that my wife and I spent on our APs is not enough to grant us equal privelages when compared to a resort guest? Your suggestion that I should spend an additional $100 for fastpasses every day that I visit the parks is hardly reasonable.

IMHO, the current system is fair and efficient. The reserving of fastpasses alienates local guests and vacationing guests who are not familiar enough with the parks to plan effectively. In short, I really hope that this does not come to fruition.

But you cant have both. If fastpasses are reserved ahead of time then there will be less passes available at the kiosk when the park opens, and less will be distributed to guest taking the "traditional route." If somehow they dont reduce the number available at the kiosk, then the stand by lines will be extremely long because fastpasses will be over distributed. over distributing penalizes locals or guests who chose the "traditional route" because the stand by line will be too long to support spontinaity. Lastly, can you imagine how many fastpasses will be wasted when those that reserved them 90 days in advance change there plans, and decide to let their passes go to waste. While this happens in the park with the current system, it is even more likely to happen when booking a time for an attraction that far in advance. Especially for guest who are less familiar with the parks and book a 8:00pm ride on Test Track, and when 8:00pm rolls around they realize that Test Track is not located at the MK (or as they would say "Disney World") like they originally thought, but is actually located at Epcot.

I believe you are overstating it just a bit.

If they somehow make this happen for everone then the fastpass line becomes the stand by line. It simply is not possible.

I agree. While resort guests receiving this privilege is a good idea, it can backfire.

As you stated so well, locals and AP holders should be included. And,if someone stays off property and they are not WDW fanatics as we are, the lines will be so long, they may choose USF instead. Why see people who can afford Disney resorts pass you by in every line while you, who cannot, have to wait an hour for Pirates and Its a Small World. This is not a great idea.

Also, what's to stop people from taking up fastpasses 90 days out and not using them? It happens with the ADRs for Restaurants, already.

KingdomofDreams

It almost reminds me of the days of A,B,C,D,E tickets. Back then you knew you'd only get to ride something once or you had to purchase more tickets. Very carnival/state fair like. So with purchasing fast passes it could be like paying for an all day experience then also paying like back in the day. not lovin' it. i for one hope they just leave it alone.
I disagree. I don't think it's the same thing at all. The old ticket system limited the number of times you could ride or experience an attraction. No limited access to attractions/rides exists in this system at all. You can still go on POC or HM or anything else at the park as much as you want.

I agree. Plus, if you start giving more access to Fastpasses based on how much one is willing to spend in a Disney Resort, you are moving back to the days of the titanic where 1st class citizens (read wealthy) people have full access and those staying at the values and moderates just because they can't or refuse to pay 400 plus bucks a night on a room, are given less. While resort guests receiving this privilege is a good idea, it can backfire.

As you stated so well, locals and AP holders should be included. And,if someone stays off property and they are not WDW fanatics as we are, the lines will be so long, they may choose USF instead. Why see people who can afford Disney resorts pass you by in every line while you, who cannot, have to wait an hour for Pirates and Its a Small World. This is not a great idea.

Also, what's to stop people from taking up fastpasses 90 days out and not using them? It happens with the ADRs for Restaurants, already.

Comparison to the Titanic? Really? And why would people choose USF instead? USF has been offering Express Access for their resort guests and for purchase for many years now. As a matter of fact, pretty much every theme park in the U.S. has a similar system in place so I guess people will just have to stop going to theme parks all together.

I do agree about the issue of people scheduling times and then not showing up. It is a problem with ADR's and one that needs to be fixed asap, but I'm inclined to wait until we have more information rather than jumping to conclusions and assuming it can't work.

CaptainJackNO

I disagree. I don't think it's the same thing at all. The old ticket system limited the number of times you could ride or experience an attraction. No limited access to attractions/rides exists in this system at all. You can still go on POC or HM or anything else at the park as much as you want.

Comparison to the Titanic? Really? And why would people choose USF instead? USF has been offering Express Access for their resort guests and for purchase for many years now. As a matter of fact, pretty much every theme park in the U.S. has a similar system in place so I guess people will just have to stop going to theme parks all together.

I do agree about the issue of people scheduling times and then not showing up. It is a problem with ADR's and one that needs to be fixed asap, but I'm inclined to wait until we have more information rather than jumping to conclusions and assuming it can't work.

That Titanic comparison was overdramatic and has been corrected...lol

Cut me some slack, I had just finished a huge coffee, The nerves were on edge.lol..:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom