Puck style MagicBand 2 is official

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Complaining about the complainers. You are the ouroboros of brand advocates.
Didn't say I was complaining about the complainers. Just that they have something new to dig on. :D Oh, and so if you're right, and I'm complaining about the complainers, then you are complaining about the complainer complaining about the complainers. Oh, and nice dragon reference!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To the contrary... now you can replace the 'active' portion of your custom purchased band if needed.. where before the entire band was trash.

But you cannot get the puck separate from a band (at least according to public announcements) so we now have an even MORE wasteful MB v2.0 It you could simply buy bands and get 'Icons' on request it would indeed be a much better system.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But you cannot get the puck separate from a band (at least according to public announcements) so we now have an even MORE wasteful MB v2.0 It you could simply buy bands and get 'Icons' on request it would indeed be a much better system.

Could change latter... but it's still better. Get your free icon from Disney... combine with your prior purchased custom piece. You don't have to keep buying the custom piece to replace the active element. Disney gives it away... or buy the "standard" instead of the higher priced custom each time

MagicHappens1971

To put it in perspective, would you rather that small convenience or 5 - 6 new E-ticket rides?
Well as it shows we know that a) the amount of money spent would never translate into 5-6 E-Tickets the way Disney spends money. b) the intention was to prevent creating as many new rides, so that money wouldn't have been spent for new rides anyway. I said in my post that I don't agree with Disneys intentions. It it was nice to have it, because as I also said, Disney wouldn't have spent the money elsewhere

rogerrabbitfan9

Always providing the Icons reduces consumer confusion. I promise people would buy the band without the Icon and then be upset that they have to spend more money to make it work.

In the tourism industry, you have to make the process simple.

AEfx

Well as it shows we know that a) the amount of money spent would never translate into 5-6 E-Tickets the way Disney spends money. b) the intention was to prevent creating as many new rides, so that money wouldn't have been spent for new rides anyway. I said in my post that I don't agree with Disneys intentions. It it was nice to have it, because as I also said, Disney wouldn't have spent the money elsewhere

I disagree. It may not have translated into a literal form to E-ticket investment, but it was the entire direction - as you pointed out.

After AK failed to bring a larger audience to WDW they gave up. They blamed it on "market saturation". No matter what they built, they thought no more people were going to show up. This was actually the prevailing thought even in the fan community - until Potter arrived and proved the point that yes, if you build it - build something there is actually demand for - yes, they will come.

There is no accident that a decade has passed without a major headliner opening. It's because they decided, as you said, to try to eek more out of those that already came. If priorities were different, however, at least some of the $2 billion spent on this boondoggle would have been invested somewhere in the parks.

To say it had nothing to do with the lack of capital investments in rides is as naive as saying it would have been spent dollar for dollar on new rides; if the right lesson had been learned from AK's failure to capture a new audience ("it's the theme, stupid" and "Rides matter!") then it's safe to say we wouldn't be sitting here in 2016 with the next E-ticket still nearly a year out, and the Studios not going to presentable until the turn of the next decade.

AEfx

Always providing the Icons reduces consumer confusion. I promise people would buy the band without the Icon and then be upset that they have to spend more money to make it work.

In the tourism industry, you have to make the process simple.

Point taken, but consumers are pretty savvy about cases and skins, etc. I would guess that the puck itself is trivially cheap to produce, yet they knew without it they would have had to sell the bands themselves more cheaply (because at that point, with no electronics, it's just a plastic strap).

The bean counters likely figured they would make more money keeping the price point higher than by multiple sales of cheaper bands, at least at this point. They also have the easy option of eliminating the puck and just selling the plastic bands later as replacements if they decide it would make more money.

I will be curious how Guest Services takes advantage of this as well. I'm assuming it's going to make things easier for them when problems arise - worst case scenario, I would assume they can just flip out the puck and send you on your way. Easier than when it's embedded and someone has some limited edition band that just won't pair properly, etc.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I don't think these look too awful. I will wait until I have one on my wrist before I say for sure whether or not I like how it looks. After reading through this thread, it seems as we wont be able to purchase bands without the ICON. This was the one feature I really wanted.

Its getting too hard to manage all my MagicBands that are linked to my account, and the last time I was in the world they couldn't open my hotel door. My entire family could get in except for me! (It took engineering a full day to get the problem fixed)...If you could manually delete MagicBands from your account that would be hugeee

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom