Puck style MagicBand 2 is official

CDavid

They just made it easier for y'all to complain about something new at Disney. ;)

Actually, this should help stem complaints from those of us who never wanted to wear colored plastic bracelets around on our wrists. The puck should fit in my pocket better, or can be carried by other means; Maybe I won't have to request an RFID card at check-in next year.

MrHappy

Now if only it could tell time as well.... I'm curious how well it fits on the wrist being much wider than the original bands.
In May, I was wearing a Samsung Smartwatch and the Magicband on the same wrist. When I scanned in for park entry my smartwatch went haywire. I had to just turn it off and on to get it back on track. So I'm not sure if combining a watch would be possible. But I'm certainly not an expert.

Jahona

In May, I was wearing a Samsung Smartwatch and the Magicband on the same wrist. When I scanned in for park entry my smartwatch went haywire. I had to just turn it off and on to get it back on track. So I'm not sure if combining a watch would be possible. But I'm certainly not an expert.

It's possible that since the Samsung includes built in NFC that the tap points were interfering with it. It was attempting to read or transmit information that it doesn't know what to do with. It would be interesting if you could use the NFC in smart watches to sub for a MagicBand. Although taping the front of a watch might make it prone to scratches.

cdeev8690

I like the idea of keeping it on a keychain, although hoping they have holders that are less chunky than what was pictured. I'm not really a fan of wearing the bands on my wrist but appreciate having the option there. I'm probably more excited to see what the Disney DIY community can do with this. I foresee new DIY shops dedicated to fabulously designed keychain magicband disc holders.

djpoore94

The only thing that I like about them is the option to buy the key chain accessory, though I really don't want to go back to wearing a lanyard either! I already have to wear my band on one wrist and my watch on the other (which drives me crazy as I hate having anything on my right wrist), and these look so much bigger that no matter how thin my watch is, it will not work on the same wrist as the band.

Jahona

So my first impression of the new bands was that they looked much bigger than the older style. Looking back at the photos and comparing the Yellow Belle MagicBands, measuring in photoshop, it seems that the initial width of the straps is the same size. The wide top allowing for the puck is causing it to look larger than it actually is. I get the feeling that this will be closer to a watch, although with a wider than usual band.

Jahona

Update:

"All bands will be sold with an Icon installed in them. You will not be able to buy empty straps. This defeats the idea that Disney was looking for a cheaper option, or that Disney was trying to lighten server loads."

This makes no sense to me....

You and me both. I would think Disney would be ok with cutting production costs and just making the bands with out the electronics. On the other hand I can kind of see keeping the puck installed for offsite guests.

No Name

I really like the concept itself. Now, when one puck's long-range capabilities die after a certain number of uses, you can replace it with another puck... without the band itself being dead. Also, as the pictures show, the puck can be placed in other things, so if you don't like wearing the band, there are now better options.

I do find it cheesy that they're calling it a magicband 2. This may be the design for a long while, and I think the naming can lead to confusion among first time visitors, who already tend to find the whole band and reservation system complicated. At least the name is not as bad as Fastpass+ (and MyMagic+), which to the average visitor, sounds like a premium or higher-level service than just regular Fastpass, not a replacement for the original service.

I wish the pucks were perfectly round, so that they'd match the MyMagic+ mickey symbol. But on a positive note, the shape of the bands will help people, especially young children, know which part to put up to the reader.

At the end of the day I see this as a neat improvement, and I'm glad that it will come to fruition.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I truly don't understand why they would've introduced these if you can't buy an empty band, similar to how the Apple Watch comes with a band and you can buy ones to switch it out with. Plus this can't be saving Disney any money, which I would've thought was the reason for creating these, but that is definietly not the case.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I truly don't understand why they would've introduced these if you can't buy an empty band, similar to how the Apple Watch comes with a band and you can buy ones to switch it out with. Plus this can't be saving Disney any money, which I would've thought was the reason for creating these, but that is definietly not the case.

Wait. Will you be able to buy just the puck?

DisneyDebRob

Actually, this should help stem complaints from those of us who never wanted to wear colored plastic bracelets around on our wrists. The puck should fit in my pocket better, or can be carried by other means; Maybe I won't have to request an RFID card at check-in next year.
Exactly. Will work the same for me as the old bands, right into my pocket.

Luxe

I really like the concept itself. Now, when one puck's long-range capabilities die after a certain number of uses, you can replace it with another puck... without the band itself being dead. Also, as the pictures show, the puck can be placed in other things, so if you don't like wearing the band, there are now better options.

I do find it cheesy that they're calling it a magicband 2. This may be the design for a long while, and I think the naming can lead to confusion among first time visitors, who already tend to find the whole band and reservation system complicated. At least the name is not as bad as Fastpass+ (and MyMagic+), which to the average visitor, sounds like a premium or higher-level service than just regular Fastpass, not a teplacement for the original service.

I wish the pucks were perfectly round, so that they'd match the MyMagic+ mickey symbol. But on a positive note, the shape of the bands will help people, especially young children, know which part to put up to the reader.

At the end of the day I see this as a neat improvement, and I'm glad that it will come to fruition.

Some great points here. I think the main goal was to create a magicband that will last, replacing the puck makes your unique magicband last virtually forever which is fantastic.

Interesting though about the wider puck making it easier for guests to figure out the touch point. I can't count the amount of times I see people just smash their wrist against it and expect it to work. It would be interesting to see if once these new bands are out in full force the queue's at the beginning of the fastpass entrances decrease...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom