marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do we really?

Mickey Runaway Railway: physical sets with projection mapping
Battle Escape: Physical sets
Falcon: simulator, so screens
Rat: Screens
Poppins: who knows... But insiders have suggested that it may be along the lines of Alice in DL.

also worth noting: the last dark ride Disney did (FEA) featured sets and animatronics - not screens.

Sounds like a mix of things - not just screens.
Guess what’s set into the Battle Escapes physical sets?

Smooth

Disney very rarely uses the term *rides*. It's *attractions*. But who wants to split hairs?
1530544079103.jpeg

deeevo

No, do we know it's "the future"? So far, there hasn't been evidence of that.
I know just 10 years ago a dark attraction was created with more animatronics than screens. With the advancement in screen technology and the much lower cost of using them the future is more screens than animatronics so in the future more screens is what I am putting my money on if it's a dark attraction.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I know just 10 years ago a dark attraction was created with more animatronics than screens. With the advancement in screen technology and the much lower cost of using them the future is more screens than animatronics so in the future more screens is what I am putting my money on if it's a dark attraction.
And like I said, the evidence on that is not there. The more likely scenario given what we are seeing is a combination of physical sets/animatronics, screen technology (not just screens) and projection mapping. Screens being used to augment and enhance, not as replacements for, physical sets. That's not to say we won't get screen-based attractions, but that it does not appear that the physical sets and animatronics are going away, despite cost.

Kamikaze

It might not be around anymore but if you had wings / delta dreamflight was the original screen based ride in MK, basically it was an omnimover version of the mexico ride at epcot in terms of set up

Not sure what you remember, but it wasn't screen based. Buzz follows the same layout.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not sure what you remember, but it wasn't screen based. Buzz follows the same layout.
IYHW was very much screen based.

It was famous for having the show audio played very loud to overcome the noise of the multitude of projectors used. If You Could Fly followed the same format. It was only Dreamflight that broke the mold with only 3 screens.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This isn't an argument over whether screens have been used and whether screens will be used in the future. That's a fact. Point conceded. No one's arguing the opposite.

It's whether we're at the state of "OMG!!!! EVERYTHING IS SCREENZZZ!!1!!" And we're demonstrably not.

With less than 15% of WDW rides using screens, and most of them using them either judiciously, or amazingly, or -- because the nature of the ride is a screen-based simulator -- out of necessity. The rides that fail at good usage of screens is very, very few.

Just like there are good use of AAs and horrible uses, same with screens. Whatever tech is used it needs to be used wisely and well.

Unlike some other park we can mention, WDW is not slapping together any old screen-based ride.

[And were talking bout rides, not shows and attractions, that's another topic for PROJECXIONZZZ!!!!]

UpAllNight

I loved the addition of the screens to dinosaur and I thought they took the ride up a notch. Tbh I love most of Universals rides, there’s just too many samey ones. Individually, Spiderman, Gringotts, FJ, Transformers are phenomenal must see rides, but when you go on Minions, Fallon, Shrek and Simpsons first, they lose their edge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom