Proof of Vaccination or Negative COVID Test required for theme parks soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP2000

As someone who’s never been PC, but tries to always be polite 😉, I’m so thankful that what we joked about as kids wasn’t recorded. I don’t think we ever said anything too horrible but a lot of it would never survive todays scrutiny.

I have often thought the exact same thing!

My friends and I never used racial slurs as a youngster; particularly my mother's side of the family was very genteel and upscale and that kind of language was simply forbidden even many decades ago. But when I was in the service, and in my 20's, there was lots of words and phrasing used (particularly when women weren't around) that would make Twitter implode today. Even the casual way people talked in the office back then would have HR working overtime today.

You hear it still a bit, often in the locker room from the young guys, but now just about women instead of racial or ethnic minorities. But if they had recorded the world's casual conversation back in the 1960's and 70's, everyone on the planet would be cancelled! 🤣

As for the booze I always chuckle at the need to be organic or gluten free because by the time the source grain is broken down to sugar, then fermented, then distilled it’s source is irrelevant. Not true for beers but if it’s distilled it makes no difference beyond marketing.

Well, some Madison Avenue execs would be thrilled to know how effective they can still be with young people.

TP2000

Here's some great news for a Friday! But someone is missing... you're move, Disneyland!

"Fully vaccinated Knott’s visitors will no longer be required to wear masks indoors once the state mandate lifts. Face coverings will be required indoors for unvaccinated visitors.

SeaWorld San Diego will drop indoor mask requirements for vaccinated visitors on Feb. 16. Unvaccinated visitors and all SeaWorld employees regardless of vaccination status will still be required to wear masks indoors.

Six Flags Magic Mountain will continue to require face masks indoors for all visitors and employees regardless of vaccination status.

Nothing changes at Universal Studios Hollywood either with the L.A. County indoor mask mandate remaining in place.

Vaccinated Legoland visitors will be allowed indoors without a mask starting on Feb. 15. Legoland employees will continue to be required to wear masks indoors.

Disneyland has not yet announced whether indoor mask requirements will change on Feb. 16."

TP2000

Friday's latest statistics and hard data from the California Department of Public Health...

The Omicron wave has pretty much disolved now in OC and San Diego (Disneyland, Knott's, Legoland, Sea World), and is receding slower but still improving quickly in more infected Lxs Angelxs County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain). This is of course all leading into the Super Bowl Weekend in LA with over 100,000 fans packing indoors into the glamorous new SoFi Stadium, which is a mega-event that is mysteriously not being branded a "Super Spreader Event!" by the media.
Funy how that works, isn't it? ;)

As of Friday, February 11th...

Orange County = 70.1% Fully Vaccinated, Case Rate 828 Per 100K Residents Past 14 Days
LA County = 70.0% Fully Vaccinated, Case Rate 1,378 Per 100K Residents Past 14 Days

Orange County Case Rate
OC cases (33).png

Lxs Angelxs County Cast Rate
LA cases (19).png

mickEblu

Friday's latest statistics and hard data from the California Department of Public Health...

The Omicron wave has pretty much disolved now in OC and San Diego (Disneyland, Knott's, Legoland, Sea World), and is receding slower but still improving quickly in more infected Lxs Angelxs County (Universal Studios, Magic Mountain). This is of course all leading into the Super Bowl Weekend in LA with over 100,000 fans packing indoors into the glamorous new SoFi Stadium, which is a mega-event that is mysteriously not being branded a "Super Spreader Event!" by the media.
Funy how that works, isn't it? ;)

As of Friday, February 11th...

Orange County = 70.1% Fully Vaccinated, Case Rate 828 Per 100K Residents Past 14 Days
LA County = 70.0% Fully Vaccinated, Case Rate 1,378 Per 100K Residents Past 14 Days

Orange County Case Rate
View attachment 620445

Lxs Angelxs County Cast RateView attachment 620446

Lol. Lxs Angelxs County never gets old.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Here in Santa Clara County, they are holding off removing the indoor mask mandate until 3 metrics are met.

1. 80% of people are fully vaccinated. We actually hit that metric already. What's funny is the county uses that to boast about being the state leader in vaccinations, but San Jose is one of the most left-leaning cities in California. Of course we have a high vaccination rate because of compliance. It was nothing the county did, but a result of demographics. In fact, SCC has the third-highest 7-day average out of 11 Bay Area counties. Which leads to #2...

2. We need to hit 550 cases in the 7-day average. If cases continue to fall at the rate they are currently falling, we should hit that by next Friday.

3. Hospitalizations are low and stable. That's the metric. No rough numbers, no explanation. It will be left up to them to decide what they consider low and that will be the metric they hold us hostage under for who knows how long.

Here's what's interesting:

1644693607857.png

1644693624036.png

See how they are worded? People in hospitals that HAVE covid, not people in hospitals BECAUSE of covid. There's a difference.

1644693696026.png

"The dashboard containes information on all patients who are COVID positive and are hospitalized for any reason - whether they are hospitalized because of COVID or for non-COVID related reasons."

So basically, you can have 550 cases per metric 2, but if many of those cases just happen to be in the hospital for OTHER reasons and are taking up beds, we fail in metric 3.

TP2000

I'm at the Tucson gem and mineral show having shopped for rocks all day while nomming on a few Sonora dogs (honestly, they put our LA street dogs to shame). All day it has been people feeling sorry for me being from California. Has helped me get a few discounts here and there though.

That's hysterical! :D

In the past 12 months I've traveled to Couer d'Alene Idaho, Arizona, Las Vegas, and Utah. I got used to the comments that pitied me for being a Californian and how difficult life has become for us. (Homelessness, taxes, crime, riots, looting department stores, gas and energy prices here, Covid mandates, etc.)

But they never gave me a discount! :mad:

Parteecia

That's hysterical! :D

In the past 12 months I've traveled to Couer d'Alene Idaho, Arizona, Las Vegas, and Utah. I got used to the comments that pitied me for being a Californian and how difficult life has become for us. (Homelessness, taxes, crime, riots, looting department stores, gas and energy prices here, Covid mandates, etc.)

Here's a nosy question you can ignore: based on your stories you seem to be comfortably well off, retired with no dependents but you say you're moving for financial reasons. Is it important to have money left over at the end? Is your money dude who recommended moving your heir? Or do you actually prefer the change of scenery?

I am not nearly as well off as you but I should be financially set for life. While I would like to leave something to my niblings, I won't change my location or lifestyle to do it. They will get whatever's left and they're fine with that.

I may be projecting because I am very happy with the world I've made here, and the local amenities. Plus I may be more of a certain age than you and value my support system. Picking up and starting over would be daunting.

MoonRakerSCM

It has been interesting, my second biggest purchase has been from a dealer from Missouri, he gets it and pitied me... My largest purchase was from a French couple, they wouldn't budge on price but their prices weren't bad to begin with. Long story short, the gem and mineral industry seems to be rather unaffected by covid... The prices are low/not too shabby and dealers have said they've done well through covid.

Having said that, if anyone has a spare $22,000 to spare for a rogerly mine fluorite specimen from the UK, I'm willing to go in halvsies. We can split week days and alternate weekends on who gets it.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm at the Tucson gem and mineral show having shopped for rocks all day while nomming on a few Sonora dogs (honestly, they put our LA street dogs to shame). All day it has been people feeling sorry for me being from California. Has helped me get a few discounts here and there though.
Pretty sad that CA has become a place people pity you for living in despite its amazing year round weather, beaches, and natural beauty. I get it though, I love visiting CA but after a couple days I’m itching to get out. Between the prices, the traffic, the homeless people, the politics, and the rushed rude people (I swear it feels more like NY every trip) there’s a few dozen states I’d pick over CA if I had to move.

TP2000

Here's a nosy question you can ignore: based on your stories you seem to be comfortably well off, retired with no dependents but you say you're moving for financial reasons. Is it important to have money left over at the end? Is your money dude who recommended moving your heir? Or do you actually prefer the change of scenery?

I don't mind at all, my dear lady! And in Sacramento's surprising defense, California has no state inheritance tax.

I have one younger sister who has children. She and I are all that's left of the family as we once knew it, and she lives out of state now and she's been a succesful executive married to a succesful man. The SD family beach house is in her name, and she gets it outright if I were to drop dead today during the Pepsi-Cola Halftime Show. Originally, I was going to will the big OC house to her and my niece/nephews, but now I'm going to sell it to an investor who can worry about selling it, and move out of state to spend my dwindling days in a new house close to good medical facilities and a sane society.

I plan on spending all the cash I make from the sale and lower cost of living in the new state on myself and family, and a few charities that I enjoy watching them work. I had big travel plans for the early 2020's that were all dashed by Covid, so I have a lot of living to do in the next couple years. The neice/nephews are all young professionals now and are embarking on their own career/family journey's and they'll be just fine. I hope they can use whatever inheritance I have left after my bartab is paid off to help pay for their own children's education.

In the meantime, it will give me piece of mind knowing my money and my family's previous wealth is not going to buy crack pipes for drug addicts and a bullet train from Bakersfield to Merced. I'll sleep better and pass away easier knowing that.

I am not nearly as well off as you but I should be financially set for life. While I would like to leave something to my niblings, I won't change my location or lifestyle to do it. They will get whatever's left and they're fine with that.

Good for you! Leaving big inheritances rarely does a young person good. They need to struggle a bit and work very hard early in life and eat Top Ramen, or else they just end up being very annoying. See: Paris Hilton. 🤣

I may be projecting because I am very happy with the world I've made here, and the local amenities. Plus I may be more of a certain age than you and value my support system. Picking up and starting over would be daunting.

To be fair, I will have other people move it all for me. And I have a beach house to crash in for several months while it all plays out. I have lived in over a dozen different states in my lifetime, so while I originally thought I would die in California, I am voting with my feet and making sure that no longer happens. Moving to a new state is not scary for me, and being a bachelor makes it easier.

If you need any advice on a good investment guy for, ahem, people of a certain age, IM me. And for anyone who wants to donate to a good cause, I'll put a link to a charity in Thailand that is run by an incredible woman. She rescues elephants that have often been abused horribly by the circus industry in Communist China, and she saves them and moves them to her beautiful sanctuary in Thailand where those brilliant creatures spend their life surrounded by nothing but love and baby elephants. I was supposed to visit her sanctuary in 2020, but I hope to be there in '23 instead.

And now, on to the Super Bowl. If you're going to a party, don't forget to hold your breath! 😷 Go Rams! 🥳

https://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

Last edited:

Parteecia

I don't mind at all, my dear lady! And in Sacramento's surprising defense, California has no state inheritance tax.

I have one younger sister who has children. She and I are all that's left of the family as we once knew it, and she lives out of state now and she's been a succesful executive married to a succesful man. The SD family beach house is in her name, and she gets it outright if I were to drop dead today during the Pepsi-Cola Halftime Show. Originally, I was going to will the big OC house to her and my niece/nephews, but now I'm going to sell it to an investor who can worry about selling it, and move out of state to spend my dwindling days in a new house close to good medical facilities and a sane society.

I plan on spending all the cash I make from the sale and lower cost of living in the new state on myself and family, and a few charities that I enjoy watching them work. I had big travel plans for the early 2020's that were all dashed by Covid, so I have a lot of living to do in the next couple years. The neice/nephews are all young professionals now and are embarking on their own career/family journey's and they'll be just fine. I hope they can use whatever inheritance I have left after my bartab is paid off to help pay for their own children's education.

In the meantime, it will give me piece of mind knowing my money and my family's previous wealth is not going to buy crack pipes for drug addicts and a bullet train from Bakersfield to Merced. I'll sleep better and pass away easier knowing that.

Good for you! Leaving big inheritances rarely does a young person good. They need to struggle a bit and work very hard early in life and eat Top Ramen, or else they just end up being very annoying. See: Paris Hilton. 🤣

To be fair, I will have other people move it all for me. And I have a beach house to crash in for several months while it all plays out. I have lived in over a dozen different states in my lifetime, so while I originally thought I would die in California, I am voting with my feet and making sure that no longer happens. Moving to a new state is not scary for me, and being a bachelor makes it easier.

If you need any advice on a good investment guy for, ahem, people of a certain age, IM me. And for anyone who wants to donate to a good cause, I'll put a link to a charity in Thailand that is run by an incredible woman. She rescues elephants that have often been abused horribly by the circus industry in Communist China, and she saves them and moves them to her beautiful sanctuary in Thailand where those brilliant creatures spend their life surrounded by nothing but love and baby elephants. I was supposed to visit her sanctuary in 2020, but I hope to be there in '23 instead.

And now, on to the Super Bowl. If you're going to a party, don't forget to hold your breath! 😷 Go Rams! 🥳

I appreciate your answers to my impertinent questions. Thank you for explaining why you would move when you can afford to stay.

I love that this shows our diverse approaches to life. I am at the point where having my family and friends close by is important, as well as helpful neighbors, and doctors that I trust and a good hospital 8 blocks down the street (where I was born!). All that plus I really hate moving so I forget that others are fine with it.

But yay, Rams!

CaptinEO

TP, best of luck to you in your move. What state are you going to?

Sounds like you thought about things a lot and that you are making the right choice. California's crime nonenforcement is certainly starting to worry me as well. I'm seeing nice neighborhoods be overrun with crime these days.

Mac Tonight

Just a small cursory glance at sites like Zillow make the justification for staying in CA all the more tenuous.

Have more than half a million dollars and a desire to live in a sub-1,000 sq ft "house" with no yard??? Come to CA!
Don't want to spend half a million dollars on a sub-1,000 sq ft "house" with no yard??? Try anywhere else!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Just a small cursory glance at sites like Zillow make the justification for staying in CA all the more tenuous.

Have more than half a million dollars and a desire to live in a sub-1,000 sq ft "house" with no yard??? Come to CA!
Don't want to spend half a million dollars on a sub-1,000 sq ft "house" with no yard??? Try anywhere else!
Likewise, those who bought their home pre-90's are cashing out and buying homes in other places that are much bigger and a fraction of the cost.

TP2000

TP, best of luck to you in your move. What state are you going to?

I'm off to live out my days in the Beehive State of Utah! In a gorgeous brand new "resort" community. For a fraction of the cost, which means I can travel well and tip well with a big smile on my face. 😁

Sounds like you thought about things a lot and that you are making the right choice. California's crime nonenforcement is certainly starting to worry me as well. I'm seeing nice neighborhoods be overrun with crime these days.

I did think it through. Five years ago I would have told you that you were nuts for suggesting such a thing at this stage in life. But the past few years have convinced me otherwise.

It did not help that as I did some limited Western States travel over the past year, it seemed that every single Uber Driver and bartender and random party guest and airplane seatmate, etc. commented on how awful it must be to live in California now. They truly seemed concerned for our welfare. By the time I went to Arizona for Christmas a few months ago, the constant commentary just became comical. It's as if all the other states got a script to follow of what to say to a Californian. 🤣

But that kind of mass interstate experience really does make you reconsider your life choices.

Last edited:

TP2000

Back OT, today's Case Rate figure is out for Orange County. Similarly low as last Monday's, and the 14 day rolling average per 100K residents in OC has been cut in half from where it was 7 days ago. Of course, anyone who watched the Super Bowl yesterday saw that 100,000 people (many famous faces in the crowd) were entirely maskless in open defiance of the mask mandate in Los Angeles yesterday. But, I think that proves this thing is clearly over, even in better-than-you LA.

OC cases (34).png

Last edited by a moderator:

SuddenStorm

I'm off to live out my days in the Beehive State of Utah! In a gorgeous brand new "resort" community. For a fraction of the cost, which means I can travel well and tip well with a big smile on my face. 😁

I did think it through. Five years ago I would have told you that you were nuts for suggesting such a thing at this stage in life. But the past few years have convinced me otherwise.

It did not help that as I did some limited Western States travel over the past year, it seemed that every single Uber Driver and bartender and random party guest and airplane seatmate, etc. commented on how awful it must be to live in California now. They truly seemed concerned for our welfare. By the time I went to Arizona for Christmas a few months ago, the constant commentary just became comical. It's as if all the other states got a script to follow of what to say to a Californian. 🤣

But that kind of mass interstate experience really does make you reconsider your life choices.

Over the last two years I've gone from "I gotta get outta Utah asap" to "man this place sure has its perks".

Vegas Disney Fan

Over the last two years I've gone from "I gotta get outta Utah asap" to "man this place sure has its perks".
I’ve talked of escaping Vegas for probably 5 years now but when I compare it to other places (pay rates, weather, cost of living, housing costs, bugs, natural disasters, etc) it always seems to come out on top or at worst be a tie.
I really want to explore more of the country, I’ve lived in the Midwest or west my whole life, but I haven’t found the right spot out east yet, although I have friends who moved to Tennessee who make a pretty good argument. A couple friends who absolutely swear Dallas is heaven on earth also, it’s too big for my taste though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom