Problems at the World?

wdwmomof3

Original Poster
My sister and her family are headed home from Disney in the morning, after a week of fun. When I talked to her yesterday she and her DH were a little mad about some of the rides being down during the week. They were at AK and EE was down as well as Dinosaur ride. Earlier they had a problem at MK with BTMRR being down and the audio was not working on Splash Mtn. She also said that there was some kind of problem at Soarin too. What's going on? Are they cutting back on the repair guys?

She also said that it was very crowded. She said that they have had a great time, but it kind of made them mad about all of the break downs.

Has anyone else noticed this, this week at Disney?

luckyeye13

More than likely, just a case of bad luck. I know that on more than one occassion, I would be on several rides within a week (or even a day) that would break down. The best is when I simply walk by rides and hear the infamous "remain seated" message. I just chalk it up to the dark cloud that I bring with me when I go on rides.

PintoColvig

My wife and daughter were on Splash on Oct. 11th when the sound went screwy. It was the only attraction problem we've had all week.

While walking past Swiss Family Treehouse today, I did overhear a CM say that it would be closed for the rest of the day. I believe it was before its stated closure time. I'm not sure what the problem was though I noticed a maintenance guy up near the top.

Susan Savia

Sounds like a bit of bad luck, is all. I've seen the time when our ride on Spaceship Earth lasted 45 minutes!

Next Trip - January 2009

It's like coming home again......

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
When I was there we got stuck on SM right on the last hill infront of Fox holding BR all tied up. Also Davey Jones was down my whole 10 trip on PoTC.

Tiggerfanatic

I won't even attempt to list all the breakdowns we experienced on our trip last year, starting with the monorail! After the 3rd or 4th breakdown, it started being really funny. We just took the opportunity to talk with the people around us and waited until everything was up and runing again. We were on vacation and unless we had an ADR to catch, there wasn't anywhere else we had to be at a certain time.

Boray

Just came back yesterday. Didn't have any problems. Crowded, oh yeah!

Is it safe to attribute the high crowd level to Monday's holiday? We're leaving one week from today (woo hooo!!!!) and I'm expecting the usual low crowds we experience every year at this time. I'm hoping to not run into tons of people. :p

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Our monorail broke down once and this group of old people started yelling oh not again! Every ride this trip it's broke down!

Disney05

Is it safe to attribute the high crowd level to Monday's holiday? We're leaving one week from today (woo hooo!!!!) and I'm expecting the usual low crowds we experience every year at this time. I'm hoping to not run into tons of people. :p
I think the holiday was a big attribute.

Larry Mondello

I view the crowds at Disney as a barometer of how the public views the ecomomy. A trip to Disney is a not a necessity and to see that the crowds are still there suggests that people are not concerned.

Disney05

I view the crowds at Disney as a barometer of how the public views the ecomomy. A trip to Disney is a not a necessity and to see that the crowds are still there suggests that people are not concerned.
I did notice a lot of people from Great Britain and many other countries while I was there this week. Our economy won't have a negative effect on them. Actually I think they may be getting better deals than us. :lookaroun

Lucky

Columbus Day weekend can get really crowded. You won't see anything like that.

TrojanUSC

Attractions break down all the time and can do so for the most inconsequential of reasons. A park map that lands on the track on a roller coaster, for example, can block a sensor and trigger an immediate emergency stop. I remember at The Tower of Terror once, a penny landed in exactly the right spot and triggered an emergency stop on one side of the building.

Luckily, most of the time, they can be back up and running within a half hour or so. Some take longer (Space Mountain), though. If the breakdown will not be an immediate reset of the ride, guests will need to be evacuated to restore operation. This can take a while, depending which attraction you are at.

flisney

One time me and my friend got stuck on Splash and we had to evacuate the ride, and we saw the back of the ride. Unique experience, and it was because a boat got stuck.

WelshBatman

Most of the break downs over the past couple of weeks have just been minor things (at least what I've noticed) and the rides are back up by the end of the day at the latest. Except for Davy Jones in Pirates who was down for a while.

For example, Everest was down yesterday for a while but was back up and working within about 45 minutes. You just have to go back and see what's going on. I will say that after the repair yesterday on Everest, it was running a bit weird (the switch track before the drop was slow and after the scene with the animated yeti, it was a bit awkward) but it was still running.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I know on some of the rides they stop to let someone with a wheelchair on. So what appears to be the ride "breaking down" really isn't. I know that has happened to me on SE and Buzz...

TrojanUSC

I know on some of the rides they stop to let someone with a wheelchair on. So what appears to be the ride "breaking down" really isn't. I know that has happened to me on SE and Buzz...

Right, but it sounds like the OP was speaking of when they don't let people in the queue at all. That never happens for guests with wheelchairs.

In fact, unless it's a major breakdown, it is highly unlikely that an attraction would make guests leave a queue. Usually breakdowns over 30 minutes would cause that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom