News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

Cmdr_Crimson

In this case, no, anthropomorphic animals do not fit in AK.
Sure...Just as Much as Epcot Didn't need them in the first place in the late 80's...
Yet-Here-We-Are.gif

WDW Guru

Sure...Just as Much as Epcot Didn't need them in the first place in the late 80's...
Yet-Here-We-Are.gif

Anthropomorphic animals aren't the problem. I don't see people complaining about FotLK or It's Tough to be a Bug. The issue is Zootopia. Many reasons as to why it wouldn't fit, but were getting a bit off topic and they have been discussed to death. The day they add Zootopia is the day that the most perfectly themed Disney park in the US dies.

ToTBellHop

My intention was not to debate the merits of Zootopia fitting (or not) into Animal Kingdom.

Although I suppose had the Good Dinosaur been successful, we'd likely be having a different conversation.
If they were looking for a new land at DAK, and they’re not, Australia or South America make the most sense.

Objectively, Dinoland is where work is needed. I actually like the land itself, but all three of its rides are rather lacking. Dino-Rama is the lowest hanging fruit. But I don’t actually like another thrill ride for the park. You could mature the land’s story and have a slower ride with dinosaurs brought back by the Time Rovers. A boat ride like JC is an obvious pick. No drop or real drama to confuse it with Jurassic Park.

But it’ll cost $400 million when Rohde insists an learning how to extract dino DNA and actually bring them back...

Princess Leia

If they were looking for a new land at DAK, and they’re not, Australia or South America make the most sense.

Objectively, Dinoland is where work is needed. I actually like the land itself, but all three of its rides are rather lacking. Dino-Rama is the lowest hanging fruit. But I don’t actually like another thrill ride for the park. You could mature the land’s story and have a slower ride with dinosaurs brought back by the Time Rovers. A boat ride like JC is an obvious pick. No drop or real drama to confuse it with Jurassic Park.

But it’ll cost $400 million when Rohde insists an learning how to extract dino DNA and actually bring them back...
This is what I've been thinking about for like a year. It would be a perfect fit for the land.

You are exactly right, a new land being based on a different Country or Continent not represented in World showcase that has a Diverse and interesting animals. Either of those would be good. I would be happy if all of Dino-land was re-themed to them and change the Dinosaur ride to be a Indy ride based in the area the land is themed too. I think Indy and the lost city of gold in South America, or Indy and something something in Australia.

RSoxNo1

Isn't that perhaps a point in Zootopia's favor? I mean, that despite the fact that inclusion of Pandora was a bit of a stretch, they pulled it off?

I'm not trying to engage in another around-in-circles discussion, although that seems to be our wont. I just think a well-done Zootopia has to be better than a half-baked Dino-Land.
Here's the thing, with Pandora people opposed it because they didn't like the movie and felt it didn't feel Disney-esque. They also critiqued the basic storyline of the movie. All of these things were legitimate complaints. The other thing people were saying was that there are absolutely story treatments for Pandora that work, and from a story treatment standpoint they executed Pandora perfectly.

The complaints about Zootopia aren't with Zootopia as a property, but rather the actual story treatment that would need to be used. The plot points in Zootopia don't hit on any of Animal Kingdom's core values. The only reason people think it fits in the Animal Kingdom is because it has animals in it. Moana would be a better fit (not that I'm advocating for that, just using it as a point of comparison).

RSoxNo1

There are a few directions they could take this. A Lion King dark ride between Pandora and Africa makes sense, but the park is heavily weighted on that side. To spread the crowds, a major update to the Dinorama footprint is absolutely needed. Again, I'd vote non-thrill ride here. There's very little in that park without a height requirement and if god forbid you're pregnant, the only ride you can go on is Na'vi River Journey.

celluloid

I guess I don't see why it's less of a fit than Pandora is.

It wouldn't necessarily be my preference (I still want either Australia or Indy), but since Dino-Land is the one true kids' area there, it seems like that it's their best choice for a re-theme.

And with Jones, not saying Indy is the worst stretch, but the title character not only hates snakes, but has sprayed them with fuel and lit them on fire. Not exactly a conservation message.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

And with Jones, not saying Indy is the worst stretch, but the title character not only hates snakes, but has sprayed them with fuel and lit them on fire. Not exactly a conversvation message.

it was the most rational thing to do in his scenario at the time, and snakes are the devil. plus, indy hates camels and monkeys too. i heard he beat up his grandma for trying to give him a kitten for his 7th birthday.

sorry, it's early and i've had too much of the cafe ole.

rreading

I have not been brave enough to go to it in probably 15 years it was so bad , due to this thread though my daughter and I have agreed to give it another try on our December trip, maybe I will like it now.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't go back, if you didn't enjoy it in the past. I wouldn't. But it is a Disney Classic. Maybe once you get older you will enjoy it, but...

And Tom Sawyer's Island is still great. I am 46 and I still appreciate it. There is no place else like it anywhere else - Disney or elsewhere.

ninjaprincesst

Honestly, I probably wouldn't go back, if you didn't enjoy it in the past. I wouldn't. But it is a Disney Classic. Maybe once you get older you will enjoy it, but...

And Tom Sawyer's Island is still great. I am 46 and I still appreciate it. There is no place else like it anywhere else - Disney or elsewhere.
I guess the problem for me with Tom Sawyer island is 1) I was just never allowed to run around away from my parents as a kid so it was pointless for me, 2) both my daughter and I are only children so no one to run around and explore with, and also not allowed to run around, so for us it is pretty boring. I do miss being a kid though when Aunt Polly's had the best peanut butter sandwiches and lemonade.

Purduevian

Any updates on Primeval Whirl? I really enjoy this ride and hope it is open when we are there in late September.

Touringplans Fastpass+ Availability is now showing Refurbishment/Closed until 8/4. Take that as you will, but this is the first time fastpass has been available this close to the current date I believe since it went down.

fngoofy

Yes but what? What are the options?
1) Drop the Dino theme completely.
2) Drop the carnival, re-up the Dino theme (Excavator?)
3) Bring in a single IP-mini land with possible overlays. (Indy?)
4) IP-adjacent (S.E.A. integration)
5) Multiple IPs under a unified backstory. (Up! Good Dinosaur? Gigantosaurus. Ice Age?)
6) ?

Personally, I'd like to see the land reinvented as a Land that Time Forgot/Journey to the Center of the Earth/20k Leagues land. If for no other reason than to revive the subs! At least then they could keep Dinosaur/Countdown but add more immersion and a new E-ticket to go along with it. But that's some serious wishful-thinking armchair stuff.

Re: Primeval Whirl
Why not just re-theme where it stands or relocate?

I do wish they could do Indy, but he is an Archeologist not a Paleontologist.

Now it would be cool if they redid Dinosaur as Indy and did the whole land up that way, but the only way that would be able shoehorn into AK is to make the land about the most dangerous animal.... MAN!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom