News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I want a bad-on-purpose WDI darkride so bad it hurts.

Right!? How great would a shoddy-looking, uber cheesy dark ride be!? Dinos on strings, Misspelled signage, the occasional spark of electricty, flickering lights. Oooh... The obvious "something goes wrong" wrong-way detour. Rusty nails and duct tape clearly holding it all together. It's be awesome!

Now that is what Dino-rama should have been! The concept was perfectly cheesy but the execution is a bit too "nice" and "pristine". Even Primeval Whirl could have been more "derelict" in appearance. I think with a slight aesthetic change Dinorama could be just as "worn and beautiful" as the rest of Animal Kingdom. This land could use more self-deprecation and decay I say! If your going to go cheesy with it - push it to the extremes!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Disney needs to bring back an updated Superstar Limo....

Eh. It was fun while it lasted. The subject matter was too topical. Over time it began to show it's age. "Celebrity" depreciates faster than cars. Execution was awesome however. It straddled that fine line between "Quirky-Cool" and "What the Hell?" all in one dark ride. The cheesiness of it definitely worked to it's advantage. I don't see how it could have been realized otherwise. However, I think a revisited Superstar Limo would fall into the same traps and tropes of the original, ultimately leading to a hypothetical downfall. Not one to revisit, IMO. But gotta love the kooky premise.

yensidtlaw1969

Eh. It was fun while it lasted. The subject matter was too topical. Over time it began to show it's age. "Celebrity" depreciates faster than cars. Execution was awesome however. It straddled that fine line between "Quirky-Cool" and "What the Hell?" all in one dark ride. The cheesiness of it definitely worked to it's advantage. I don't see how it could have been realized otherwise. However, I think a revisited Superstar Limo would fall into the same traps and tropes of the original, ultimately leading to a hypothetical downfall. Not one to revisit, IMO. But gotta love the kooky premise.
Did you ever ride it, or is this opinion based on Videos?

Riding it in 2001 was definitely an, um, experience, and it had nothing to do with topicality. The culture today is a little more likely to respond positively to the kind of thing that ride was doing looking at it in retrospect, but being there in the moment it was just not fun.

Maybe it would have been different if the park around it had been executed at a high level, but it wasn’t and this ride felt like insult on top of injury.

It was less “what the hell-quirky” and more “I could be riding any of the classics at Disneyland, but instead I’m on THIS??”

It was exactly the wrong thing for the park in that moment - there’s a reason it closed early on despite being the only dark ride in the joint. It was more than just people thinking Regis Philbin’s moment had already ended (spoiler alert: it hadn’t).

Bairstow

Did you ever ride it, or is this opinion based on Videos?

Riding it in 2001 was definitely an, um, experience, and it had nothing to do with topicality. The culture today is a little more likely to respond positively to the kind of thing that ride was doing looking at it in retrospect, but being there in the moment it was just not fun.

That's such a horrifying thought- that "Superstar Limo" failed because American society had not yet become celebrity-obsessed enough.
It was ahead of its time.

limo_melanieandantonio2001tm.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

That's such a horrifying thought- that "Superstar Limo" failed because American society had not yet become celebrity-obsessed enough.

Sorry, funny wording on my part, those were kind of separate thoughts -- the culture today is more likely to look at a "what-the-hell" gaudy joke and laugh at it rather than wonder how it's gonna get those 4 minutes back.

I can see why there are people today who look back at what Superstar Limo was as a one-off and think "ha ha, that looks hilarious!", but in context it was the literal worst. Disneyland had been waiting for years to get a major expansion in the form of another park, and that this thing was the most elaborate attraction in the whole place was like a smack in the face. They made it sound like it was a new Disney Dark Ride for the ages - an earnest attraction rolling through the streets of Hollywood with movie stars around every corner. A dark ride the likes of The Great Movie Ride; Spaceship Earth does Tinsel Town.

Then we show up and it's . . . this:

And this:

NelsonRD

I actually thought that celebrity influence and obsession was wearing off. In this day and age of Hollywood trying to out crazy each other, Reality TV, classless behavior, flooding of social media, and political statements as part of performances, I was beginning to think Americans were getting a little sick of it.

kpilcher

This was no

This was not ahead of anything (except maybe its budget). It started as a fun idea, then Diana's death made the original idea in poor taste. What was left was an ugly mess of a ride with ugly limited motion (at best) figures. I did like the homage to Madame Leota, but that's like saying I like the Butterfly / Mirror trick from JIYI: It's true, but the rest of the ride is garbage.

eddie104

This was no

This was not ahead of anything (except maybe its budget). It started as a fun idea, then Diana's death made the original idea in poor taste. What was left was an ugly mess of a ride with ugly limited motion (at best) figures. I did like the homage to Madame Leota, but that's like saying I like the Butterfly / Mirror trick from JIYI: It's true, but the rest of the ride is garbage.
All true and I agree what a disaster 😂😂

No Name

The Excavator has always come across to me as a budget-conscious idea that got even further degraded. Not as some novel idea we should be pushing for 20 years later.

I’d rather see a fire-heavy, European-dragon-centric inverted coaster built in a small Europe area next to Asia. And an Ice Age (yes, the IP) boat ride built as a replacement for DinoRama. Opened together, both thematically tied well to the park, and with a fire and ice marketing campaign. I think it’s actually quite reasonable, checks a lot of boxes, and would do fairly well in a pitch to current leadership.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We should call it what it is. A amusement park attraction from an ill suited vendor for theme park standards. The going out of business tells all.

Me cut the losses. It was a stop gap attraction Poorly conceived for a Disney Park. Imagineer a better land than the Carnival theme. It is beneath Disney imagineering threshold

Beyond Countdown to Extinction it is all wasted space and just a filler.

MiddKid

I don’t know how it could be recalled as the company according to UK articles has been out of business for a long time. So recalled by who? Parts for this ride are hard to come by give the lack of original source.

It is a guess but I am speculating the ride operators that still keep this model open are brainstorming and engineering their own fixes similar to the additional safety fences in the previous accidents if I am recalling correctly. It would be so horrid if this attraction claimed another life. And I’m sure that is the good judgement Disney is exhibiting.

Pretty sure Reverchon are still in business?

RCDB even lists a new Reverchon that opened on 7/20/19

lazyboy97o

Pretty sure Reverchon are still in business?

RCDB even lists a new Reverchon that opened on 7/20/19
They are. The story of their demise is a really bad extrapolation by Jim Hill because they previously declared bankruptcy.

noodles

If I had ridden that, I'd have a lot more money in my bank account today.
I'd have skipped about 6 family Disney vacations.
That was intentionally bad.

What if WDI are taking the down time to scope out the ride, space and area to tear down Whirl and Build Raging Spirits in its place....change Dino to Indy and.....IJL it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom