News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

GCTales

MrePx8Y.jpg
image.jpeg

We can only hope..

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There are some users on this forum who are VERY conservative about Disney, even if it means getting rid of the HG Wells theming in Tomorrowland in order to look like 1970’s-1980’s Tomorrowland. Some also have a bias, me included. I respect your opinion and can relate a little bit. :)

There is no HG Wells theming in Tomorrowland

Bleed0range

I really hope this ride comes down. The whole dinoland thing is the least Disney thing at WDW. The last time I rode it it was about as exciting and cheap as the little kiddie fair rides that come and go within a week where we live.

At the prices that Disney charges, these parks are supposed to be premium and luxurious. The theming, creativity and quality is supposed to live up to the name. This ride just spits in the face of that.

If you can’t tell I hate it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
If this is replaced with something immersive, Animal Kingdom will be perfect.

Yes but what? What are the options?
1) Drop the Dino theme completely.
2) Drop the carnival, re-up the Dino theme (Excavator?)
3) Bring in a single IP-mini land with possible overlays. (Indy?)
4) IP-adjacent (S.E.A. integration)
5) Multiple IPs under a unified backstory. (Up! Good Dinosaur? Gigantosaurus. Ice Age?)
6) ?

Personally, I'd like to see the land reinvented as a Land that Time Forgot/Journey to the Center of the Earth/20k Leagues land. If for no other reason than to revive the subs! At least then they could keep Dinosaur/Countdown but add more immersion and a new E-ticket to go along with it. But that's some serious wishful-thinking armchair stuff.

Re: Primeval Whirl
Why not just re-theme where it stands or relocate?

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes but what? What are the options?
1) Drop the Dino theme completely.
2) Drop the carnival, re-up the Dino theme (Excavator?)
3) Bring in a single IP-mini land with possible overlays. (Indy?)
4) IP-adjacent (S.E.A. integration)
5) Multiple IPs under a unified backstory. (Up! Good Dinosaur?)
6) ?

Personally, I'd like to see the land reinvented as a Land that Time Forgot/Journey to the Center of the Earth,/20k Leagues land. If for no other reason than to revive the subs! At least then they could keep Dinosaur/Countdown but add more immersion and a new E-ticket to go along with it. But that's some serious wishful-thinking armchair stuff.

Re: Primeval Whirl
Why not just re-theme where it stands or relocate?
Just bring the coaster that was meant for the area....The Excavator..
4705.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just bring the coaster that was meant for the area....The Excavator..
4705.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

I'd agree initially. But after thinking about it; Do we need more dino? Uni has it's Dominus in it's Jurrasic World IP. And dinos have become so commonplace in themed entertainment. If you wait long enough I'm sure one of those traveling shows will visit your local city with some "impressive" AAs and walkaround dino-interaction characters. It feels "been-there-done-that" to me. Not to knock it though; It's not a bad idea for land. It just needs to be executed a LOT better. Excavator Coaster could aid in that.

I'm torn. Do they start anew with a completely different concept for the land or add and expand on what's already there? If I had to guess I say they're more likely to expand the Dinosaur backstory thinking it the easier solution. And it may be. I just don't know if it's the better or best solution. The Excavator coaster would wrap things up nicely. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I'd agree initially. But after thinking about it; Do we need more dino? Uni has it's Dominus in it's Jurrasic World IP. And dinos have become so commonplace in themed entertainment. If you wait long enough I'm sure one of those traveling shows will visit your local city with some "impressive" AAs and walkaround dino-interaction characters. It feels "been-there-done-that" to me. Not to knock it though; It's not a bad idea for land. It just needs to be executed a LOT better. Excavator Coaster could aid in that.

I'm torn. Do they start anew with a completely different concept for the land or add and expand on what's already there? If I had to guess I say they're more likely to expand the Dinosaur backstory thinking it the easier solution. And it may be. I just don't know if it's the better or best solution. The Excavator coaster would wrap things up nicely. I guess time will tell.

Oh, if they only rethemed it to Gravity Falls and make the gift shop the Mystery Shack and then called the carnival area Grunkle Stans Dino-Rama Cheap Thrills On the Cheap! You got something..

cjkeating

At the prices that Disney charges, these parks are supposed to be premium and luxurious. The theming, creativity and quality is supposed to live up to the name. This ride just spits in the face of that.

I understand where you are coming from but I often struggle to understand how the 3 villages that make up Africa and Asia are seen as masterpieces whereas the US equivalent isn’t?

I am sure if you brought a local from the areas that inspired them they would be quite puzzled as to why an atypical lived in village from their home country had been recreated in such detail? It wouldn’t surprise me if they liked Dinorama simply as it is unfamiliar to them as Harambe, Anandapur and Serka Zong are to most Americans.

I also think it shows the contrast between the developed and developing world which is a rewarding concept at Animal Kingdom.

rle4lunch

Dinos are basically the default go-to kids theme. Big, goofy looking animals with horns and tails ÷ little kids looking at these larger than life creatures = $. However, dinoland is another piece of WDO that never seems to get updated, which leads me to believe that it's destined for a redo/retheme. Hell, that trex restaurant at Disney springs is better themed and more impressive than anything in dinoland...

starri42

Maybe they should take the ever-increasing downtime as a sign from the universe that Dino-Land has run its course. If they need a kiddie-themed land, Zootopia seems like such a no-brainer, and I'm sure they could do an overlay to Dinosaur without a huge outlay of cash.

WDW862

I really hope this ride comes down. The whole dinoland thing is the least Disney thing at WDW. The last time I rode it it was about as exciting and cheap as the little kiddie fair rides that come and go within a week where we live.

If you can’t tell I hate it.

You're preaching to the choir

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom