PRIDE: Community

Sir_Cliff

Agreed.

Hell, I would love to have some of these dating apps explained to me as an old gay man.

In my day, we didn't have apps, we just ran up bar tabs until we hit the jackpot. 🤣
So one of the things I thought Bros captured well was the dynamics of using gay apps like Grindr and how absurd the conversations could be on there. It was really funny. However, it was an example of a joke that probably wouldn't resonate with straight people as they would have never used that app.
I haven't seen the film yet as it isn't out where I live, but I must say the clip I saw of him using Grindr kind of made me roar with laughter as it captured quite perfectly the ridiculousness of the conversations on that app!

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Saw the film last night and I laughed so many times out loud, it's such a funny and feel-good movie!
Grindr chat was funny and real.
The club scenes/ dancing was real and funny. Omg when they're on the beach and Billy says no one has ever seen you dance and then he dances. So real!

My husband said he felt seen. And I too agree.

Animaniac93-98

I also have to imagine that this movie being about two 40-year old men was a detriment to its success too as so much of LGBT media that is popular centers around teenagers (Love Simon/Victor, Young Royals, Heartstopper etc).

Last edited:

MrMcDuck

The trailers were not very welcoming to the rom com audience. One trailer opened with an LGBT meeting scene which suggested the film might be political or preachy. It ended with more from the meeting scene and the joke "Do you remember straight people? Yeah, they had a nice run." Or something close to that.

TP2000

The trailers were not very welcoming to the rom com audience. One trailer opened with an LGBT meeting scene which suggested the film might be political or preachy. It ended with more from the meeting scene and the joke "Do you remember straight people? Yeah, they had a nice run." Or something close to that.

That's a horrible campaign for a movie; make fun of the vast majority of the audience in advance, then blame that same majority when they don't spend their own money to go see the movie where you were making fun of them. 🤔

On the flip side, it's now obvious a majority of Gay men did not go so see Bros either. As of Tuesday, October 11th, Bros has only made $9.5 Million (with a $22 Million production budget plus a $30+ Million marketing budget - Yikes!). Assuming a movie ticket is $15, that means 630,000 tickets were bought for the movie in its first 12 days.

BrosBombs.jpg

There are 101 Million American males over the age of 18. If 10% of them are Gay or Bi, that means there are 10 Million Gay/Bi American males over the age of 18. Assuming 90% of the ticket-buying audiences for Bros have been Gay/Bi men, only 5% of the 10 Million Gay/Bi men in America went to go see Bros in the last 12 days.

Now I'm a Gay man myself, and I haven't seen Bros. But I don't have any desire or plans to see it. It looks kind of tacky, to be honest, and I find Mr. Eichner rather annoying. But in general, I haven't seen a RomCom in a theater since I saw Up With Love about 15 years ago.

But I'm also not alone in avoiding Bros. At least 95% of Gay men in America also haven't seen it. So Mr. Eichner can't just blame the straights for his movie bombing. o_O

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Must admit, that the one thing I would have changed about that trailer was the tag at the end about "straight people." That did seem a little bit unnecessarily antagonistic to me and played right into all the anxieties that exist around increased representation meaning the marginalization of cis, straight, white people. I can see where the line might be amusing in the context of the film, but it didn't seem like the best way to sell the film to a mainstream, mostly-straight audience if they really did want that audience to go and see it.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Just wanted to share a shot of me from my first ever Pride last weekend in Atlanta. As I turned the big 3-0 in April, I've been trying to heal and move past the trauma I experienced as young, and freshly out, gay man in my 20s. I had some horrific experiences with men in the community. It left a bad taste in my mouth, perhaps irrationally, and I grew cold and resentful. Then, back in November, I met a wonderful friend who has slowly been showing me that not everyone is a monster. I can't put into words how wonderful it felt to be surrounded by so much love and kindness this weekend; and to have a friend who understands I'm healing and growing; and that's not always an easy task.
ETA: My husband has also done a wonderful job at helping me cope, but with him being in Canada for the foreseeable future (damn you immigration laws), it's nice to have someone else I can be around.
306002453_10223929856268357_4739279487891773660_n.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Must admit, that the one thing I would have changed about that trailer was the tag at the end about "straight people." That did seem a little bit unnecessarily antagonistic to me and played right into all the anxieties that exist around increased representation meaning the marginalization of cis, straight, white people. I can see where the line might be amusing in the context of the film, but it didn't seem like the best way to sell the film to a mainstream, mostly-straight audience if they really did want that audience to go and see it.

There were quite a few PR mistakes and marketing stumbles with this movie. Some were clearly the fault of the movie studio's marketing department, and some were just the ham-fisted and insulting way the movie's Writer/Producer/Star (AKA Billy Eichner) talked to the media about his own movie, or just Rage Tweeted about it from his home bar. o_O

At the end of its second week in theaters, Bros just got pulled from 1,100 theaters this weekend; going from a wildly optimistic 3,350 theaters a week ago to 2,201 theaters this weekend. And even then it's still making much less Per Theater than the movie that's beating it handily, Barbarians, which has been out for over five weeks. The movie that opened the same day as Bros, Smile, is still in 3,600+ theaters and is still making over $1,000 Per Theater showing, packing 'em in.

There's clearly a lesson here about how to market a 2SLGBTQQIA+ film aimed at American suburban multiplexes, and how its creator and star should represent it to the American public during the lead up to its release.

Bros is never going to break even and will lose tens of millions of dollars for Universal.
Mr. Eichner bears the bulk of that responsibility.

Box Office Stats for Friday, October 14th

BrosBombs.jpg

TP2000

Looking at that Box Office chart above... Amsterdam from Disney's own 20th Century Studios. Yikes! Amsterdam is a total hydrogen bomb that cost four times to make ($80 Million) than what Bros cost to make ($22 Million).

I guess that proves you don't have to be 2SLGBTQQIA+ to be a failure at the box office. 🤣

BuddyThomas

I rarely go to movies, and I didn't even know this movie was happening until I saw the commercials on TV a few weeks ago. How is it "important"? Please don't tell me because it's gay.

RomComs have been gayer than this, and those are the RomComs I like to watch as a guilty indulgence on a rainy night in winter; Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers, That Touch of Mink, etc., etc.

I mean seriously! Doris Day, Rock Hudson and Tony Randall in a 1960's RomCom is way gayer (and much funnier!) than anything Mr. Eichner scolds us as "important". 🤣

Flowers5.jpg

Folks like Mr. Eichner, coming off to most people as bitter scolds, just make things so difficult now. They have to be "first" at victimhood, as if the 20th century never happened and no human walked the earth before them. It's just very tiring. And not fun. 😕

I don't blame American audiences for staying away from his movie in droves. But it's going to leave a bad taste for Universal after losing at least $40 Million on Bros.
You did not see this movie and therefore you do not know what you are talking about. There is no possible way the movies that you reference are gayer than Bros. Bros has graphic gay sex, a subplot about whether or not Lincoln was gay, a heated argument about whether or not 2nd graders should be taught about LGBT people, two foursomes (yes TWO), Debra Messing, multiple trans people, more graphic gay sex, and Harvey Fierstein. And it is freaking amazing. I’ve seen it multiple times and I intend to see it again. The “haven’t seen it haters” can step off.

BuddyThomas

I also have to imagine that this movie being about two 40-year old men was a detriment to its success too as so much of LGBT media that is popular centers around teenagers (Love Simon/Victor, Young Royals, Heartstopper etc).
If some prissy young gay queens didn’t go see this because the main characters are in their 40’s, they missed out. And Luke Macfarlane is absolutely gorgeous with the body of a Greek god. They should be so lucky to look like him when they are 40.

TP2000

Bros has graphic gay sex, a subplot about whether or not Lincoln was gay, a heated argument about whether or not 2nd graders should be taught about LGBT people,....

Well, that sounds really classy and sophisticated. I can't imagine why it bombed. 🤔

I’ve seen it multiple times and I intend to see it again.

I encourage you to. It needs all the help it can get financially to get to its $60 Million breakeven point. Buy extra tickets just for fun! Buy one for me, if you'd like. :)

BrosBombs.jpg

BuddyThomas

Well, that sounds really classy and sophisticated. I can't imagine why it bombed. 🤔

I encourage you to. It needs all the help it can get financially to get to its $60 Million breakeven point. Buy extra tickets just for fun! Buy one for me, if you'd like. :)

View attachment 673321

I don't know why you get off on disparaging so many things on this site, particularly things that you have not seen or experienced or know nothing about. In face, I don't even know what you are doing on this thread to begin with.

Wendy Pleakley

View attachment 673321

Pretty sure this thread is meant to be a supportive environment, not a place for people to repeatedly go on about the box office performance of a movie they didn't see.

Maybe this isn't the place for you if all you want to do is repeat the same thing over and over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom