PRIDE: Community

Tony the Tigger

Spit balling here, but I think it may have been a thread regarding the recent travel advisories that have been placed on Florida due to their recent treatment, oppression and laws targeting minorities.

I think this was the piece of news, a different article:

@BuddyThomas feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
They’re right. It’s sucks to live here right now. Our community is under attack. The less well-informed believe the lies and exaggerations they are fed and turn on a dime. Suddenly “allies” I’ve known for years are anti-drag and supporting inane laws that will force gay bars to black out their windows lest a child on the street catch a glimpse of a drag Queen and cost the business their liquor license. OTOH, you can bring concealed guns anywhere.

It’s. Freaking. Crazy.

And just picking up and moving is not that easy.

Like Disney, we’re resisting while waiting it out to the end of Ron The Reckless’ term.

I have to go to Nashville for a music business conference next month. I ordered a “Drag Is Not A Crime” shirt and some flag pins for that trip - but realized I need them just as much at home. That is depressing.

Drag queens are typically some of the most active, visible, and charity oriented folks in the community. They don’t deserve this smear campaign.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
That’s the one. No one made any offensive comments at the time I saw it. I am completely baffled.
That’s the one. Honestly, I wondered at the motive of the thread starter, it was bound to eventually attract hurtful commentary. Which would’ve been upsetting for many.
They’re right. It’s sucks to live here right now. Our community is under attack. The less well-informed believe the lies and exaggerations they are fed and turn on a dime. Suddenly “allies” I’ve known for years are anti-drag and supporting inane laws that will force gay bars to black out their windows lest a child on the street catch a glimpse of a drag Queen and cost the business their liquor license. OTOH, you can bring concealed guns anywhere.

It’s. Freaking. Crazy.

Like Disney, we’re resisting while waiting it out to the end of Ron The Reckless’ term.

I have to go to Nashville for a music business conference next month. I ordered a “Drag Is Not A Crime” shirt and some flag pins for that trip - but realized I need them just as much at home. That is depressing.

Drag queens are typically some of the most active, visible, and charity oriented folks in the community. They don’t deserve this smear campaign.
You know I love you.

My opinion (feel free to criticize it) is that had that thread continued to exist “out there” it would’ve attracted all kinds of unfriendly comments which would have upset all of us. Better to keep discussion in this thread.

As I typed that out, I realized that I could be completely wrong. Let me know, I live to learn.

Tony the Tigger

That’s the one. Honestly, I wondered at the motive of the thread starter, it was bound to eventually attract hurtful commentary. Which would’ve been upsetting for many.

You know I love you.

My opinion (feel free to criticize it) is that had that thread continued to exist “out there” it would’ve attracted all kinds of unfriendly comments which would have upset all of us. Better to keep discussion in this thread.

As I typed that out, I realized that I could be completely wrong. Let me know, I live to learn.
Fine by me. I hadn't even seen it, and if it's not directly related to Disney, if I were The Mom, I'd probably consider it an inappropriate political thread more than a Disney-centric issue that happens to overlap politics.

With that said, I can handle upsetting comments. You get used to it.

And you know I love you back!

Wendy Pleakley

It’s. Freaking. Crazy.

That's worrisome.

I initially thought the travel advisory was exaggerated for the purpose of making a political and/or social commentary, but now I'm not so sure.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Drag queens are typically some of the most active, visible, and charity oriented folks in the community. They don’t deserve this smear campaign
A local café at the beach had to get the FBI involved late last year after violent threats were made toward the business because they were hosting a private, after hours, drag show. This was on top of the numerous times their food truck has been vandalized after they participated in our area's first Pride Event in 2021. It's great to see the representation and support growing in my rural area but it comes at a price. We're fortunate that our local sheriff department is willing to support investigations. Not all rural areas are that lucky.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

lisak09

Hi everyone, this is very worrying. I realise it must be a whole lot scarier to live in florida at the moment as opposed to visiting, however I am wondering should I cancel our upcoming trip in August. Our daughter who will 21 at time of travel is gay and now I'm terrified. We live in Ireland and have been looking forward to coming back to Orlando for ages. We used to visit every year but haven't been since 2019. I'm shocked that this is happening, wouldn't have even crossed my mind before that it was an issue....
Hope this isn't coming across that I'm just whining about not getting to go to disneyworld, I'm genuinely horrified about it all

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi everyone, this is very worrying. I realise it must be a whole lot scarier to live in florida at the moment as opposed to visiting, however I am wondering should I cancel our upcoming trip in August. Our daughter who will 21 at time of travel is gay and now I'm terrified. We live in Ireland and have been looking forward to coming back to Orlando for ages. We used to visit every year but haven't been since 2019. I'm shocked that this is happening, wouldn't have even crossed my mind before that it was an issue....
Hope this isn't coming across that I'm just whining about not getting to go to disneyworld, I'm genuinely horrified about it all
You should be absolutely fine on property

Tony the Tigger

Lilofan

Disneyland is hosting its first ever Disneyland After Dark: Pride Nite - dates are June 13 and 15.

View attachment 710186

Full details on the Disney Parks Blog.

How I wish this can come to WDW. Some of my family , friends , who are gay would be jumping for joy if the event comes to WDW and I'd love to join the party if it comes to the East Coast.

BuddyThomas

Apparently, the One Magical Weekend site is doing a giveaway of the following prize package for Gay Days at WDW:

• 3-night stay at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, June 2 to June 5, 2023.
• 2 VIP Tickets to RIPTIDE at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Waterpark
• 2 VIP Tickets to RED Vol. VI ROUNDUP at House of Blues on Saturday
• 2 GA Tickets to WIG Party at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort on Sunday
• 2 Tickets to all THREE Therapy Pool Parties at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista.
• 2 Tickets to all THREE CADABRA Afterhours parties (Must be 21+ to attend).

I don't know if you are allowed to link other websites on here, but just google One Magical Weekend and it will come up.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Spent the weekend with my bestie. We watched Bros which was a hilarious and refreshing take on a gay film. I also watched Milk for the first time ever which made me bawl like a baby at the end. I've been trying to learn more about our history and I'm so thankful I've got a friend who is willing to help expand my horizons and bring me out of the dark. Love him!

BuddyThomas

lisak09

We've changed our trip from Orlando to L.A and Vegas. I love Disneyworld and UO but I'm not comfortable visiting florida at the moment. We're now staying in Anaheim for six nights and then flying to Vegas for six nights. We've been to Anaheim once before but never Vegas so we're getting excited! Hopefully we'll be back to Orlando some day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom