PRIDE: Community

BuddyThomas

I'm not familiar with it....what exactly is it about? Is it the church's view? Have you seen Matthew Vines' video? I found it really interesting and it's given me a lot of source material when I'm discussing things with people who aren't supportive of the LGBTQ community.

P.S. I saw in the beginning post, " LGBTQ2" and I am wondering what the 2 represents. That's not one I've ever come across.
Here is the trailer for it. Caution, there may be one curse word or two.

tcool123

P.S. I saw in the beginning post, " LGBTQ2" and I am wondering what the 2 represents. That's not one I've ever come across.
I assumed the 2 is for Two Spirited, it’s a concept more commonly seen within indigenous peoples as a third gender/sexuality. It’s origins date back to precolonazation, but then missionaries and colonizers showed up and started to punish, jail and kill those that were Two Spirited as it was outside the Christian norms. In recent years with society being more open it has seen a resurgence once more in indigenous peoples. Each indigenous group has their own term for it, but two spirited is the overall umbrella term. Totally normal for not knowing much about it, I’ve learned about it from various TikToks made by people various cultures that identified with their cultures two spirited choice.

If you want a real doozy here’s an even longer version LGBTQQIP2SAA+ 😅
The 2S would be Two-Spirited.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I'm not familiar with it....what exactly is it about? Is it the church's view? Have you seen Matthew Vines' video? I found it really interesting and it's given me a lot of source material when I'm discussing things with people who aren't supportive of the LGBTQ community.

“It’s a Sin” is about how the aids crisis effected a group of friends / gay men in London in the 80’s. It’s absolutely brilliant, and heart breaking.

And the 2 was explained brilliant in the post about mine, but yes, it’s for two-spirit.

Songbird76

I assumed the 2 is for Two Spirited, it’s a concept more commonly seen within indigenous peoples as a third gender/sexuality. It’s origins date back to precolonazation, but then missionaries and colonizers showed up and started to punish, jail and kill those that were Two Spirited as it was outside the Christian norms. In recent years with society being more open it has seen a resurgence once more in indigenous peoples. Each indigenous group has their own term for it, but two spirited is the overall umbrella term. Totally normal for not knowing much about it, I’ve learned about it from various TikToks made by people various cultures that identified with their cultures two spirited choice.

If you want a real doozy here’s an even longer version LGBTQQIP2SAA+ 😅
The 2S would be Two-Spirited.
Oh, thank you for the explanation! I've never heard the term. My daughter just taught me the terms AMAB and AFAB this past week. I sometimes feel like I can't keep up with the terminology. My daughter is involved in a lot of crafty stuff and one of her friends is into LARPing, and I guess there are a lot of communities within those hobbies where they discuss a broad range of topics, orientation and gender identities being among them, so she's a lot more informed than I am. I'm learning a lot from her.

SSH

Yes!

There was a time when they were so few & far between, so poorly funded, and just so boring.

Then there are classics like Broken Hearts Club, And The Band Played On, Longtime Companion, Torch Song Trilogy, Love! Valour! Compassion! Jeffrey, etc. A little more recently and not too crummy: All Over The Guy.

Then there are pages and pages of low budget messes lol.
does anyone remember "making love" with harry hamlin? Or am I the only one who actually watched that movie? Don't know what made me think of it. 😂

SSH

I saw it. It’s pretty campy (funny) because they are so melodramatic and over the top throughout the film.

yup...the bit over the top vibe is what made me smile when I thought about it...but wasn't the worst flick I ever saw in my life. (That honor goes to Endless Love. Not relevant to this discussion, but imo, a big 10 on the cringeworthy meter and that awful song - played relentlessly every hour on the hour.)

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I’m finding a number of shows have unannounced lgbt subplots.

Atypical is another enjoyable Netflix comedy on its own, and an lgbt storyline develops.

Never Have I Ever - another comedy which does the same thing (created by Mindy Kaling about an Asian family.)

The Haunting of Bly Manor went there as well. (Hottie Oliver Jackson Cohen - who was also in the too short lived Emerald City - probably won’t play gay until he’s 60 and I’m dead.)

The Politician - of interest perhaps to some recently displaced posters. 😉

And, of course, Umbrella Academy.

I would have enjoyed all of these shows regardless, but the lgbt characters are a welcome addition! And I think that’s important because so many “gay movies” suuuuuuck.
I'll have to add some of your suggestions of shows to my watch list.
I've found a couple shows with lbgt themes or plots, I do enjoy when its a surprise.

-Difficult People - comedy, lgbt storylines
-Broad City - Hilarious

Animaniac93-98

does anyone remember "making love" with harry hamlin? Or am I the only one who actually watched that movie? Don't know what made me think of it. 😂

I've seen it and can see both why it was significant at the time, but also why it does not hold up 40 years later.

Tony the Tigger

I remember seeing the cover at the video store...over and over again 🤣 for years. I was in the closet, Harry Hamlin was cute from Clash Of The Titans, and I was paranoid that Blockbuster or someone who worked there would somehow flag me as gay if I rented it. (Really.)

#issues

Songbird76

As of this Friday (April 16) all episodes of Love, Victor season1 will be on the Star section of Disney+.

Almost a year after they were released to Hulu, but at least people in some other countries can watch them now without a VPN.
Not necessarily. Every country has different offerings. My VPN doesn't work on Disney+, so I can't use that, but a lot of the content added to Star is not offered here in the Netherlands. I just went looking for a bunch of stuff the other day and the Dutch Disney+ didn't have it, so I ended up ordering DVDs.

Figgy1

Premium Member
yup...the bit over the top vibe is what made me smile when I thought about it...but wasn't the worst flick I ever saw in my life. (That honor goes to Endless Love. Not relevant to this discussion, but imo, a big 10 on the cringeworthy meter and that awful song - played relentlessly every hour on the hour.)
Nope worst movie ever Howard the Duck

SSH

Nope worst movie ever Howard the Duck
haha...I actually have kinda fond memories of that one - I was going thru a sad breakup and it was so silly and stupid and bad, I actually had fun watching it. I don't think I'd have hated endless love as much if they hadn't seriously overplayed that song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom