Prices for a family of four

Trackmaster

The largest item on most families' budget is their mortgage, which goes up 0% per year. So 3% salary increases mean you're able to absorb significantly more than 3% increases in discretionary spending.

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how the percentage of home ownership is plummeting across America now thuogh. Times are tough.

aliceismad

The largest item on most families' budget is their mortgage, which goes up 0% per year. So 3% salary increases mean you're able to absorb significantly more than 3% increases in discretionary spending.
But rent does go up, if you don't own, as do groceries, utility costs, and gas prices, all of which aren't really discretionary. Personally, we prioritize vacation spending over pretty much every other luxury, but I can see how some people just can't do that. We're lucky that we're able to take vacations every year, and although our incomes have grown to the points where it's not as critical, I do a lot of comparison shopping and research regarding vacations, when to book, etc.

LaughingGravy

Our taxes went up a full 3%. healthcare costs went up as well, (not like I can just easily switch to a different provider through my employer).
Airfare has certainly gone up with the nickel and diming for even being able to pick a seat these days. That stuff adds up.

MickeyLuv'r

Sorry, the opening post was a bit too vague.

WDW prices are too high, but if you are going to call out the price of a WDW for being too high, then one should give some specifics.

The original post doesn't even say how many days? 4? 7?
Are the kids 2, 7, 12 or 19? That also make s a difference.

Are we talking park hoppers?
What pricing season?

The person also talks about sticking to QS dining- on the low end- but what does that mean? The QS DDP? The QS DDP is just one option. A family of four can easily get the cost of food lower than the cost of the QS DDP.

All you need is two boxes of granola bars, and some coffee pods. Instead of buying 4 sodas with every meal, drink water, or buy one large soda and share, or bring a box of those little drink packets. They come in diet, non-diet, and even more natural versions sweetened with stevia. And they now come in all kinds of flavors!

Everything l list are items that can be brought on a plane in one's luggage.

I can also trim the cost of WDW quite a bit by cutting back 1 day, or staying offsite.

So while I too could jump on the WDW costs too much bandwagon, I can also find ways to cut costs when I have actual details to use.

eliza61nyc

Our taxes went up a full 3%. healthcare costs went up as well, (not like I can just easily switch to a different provider through my employer).
Airfare has certainly gone up with the nickel and diming for even being able to pick a seat these days. That stuff adds up.
That's why I guess i get baffled when folks single out the mouseworld. The airlines especially are the king and queens of upcharges, lol at least you can avoid most of the ones at Disney.

MickeyLuv'r

I couldn't spend 12,000 at disney if i tried for 4 of us. We do a moderate resort at most...Maybe 1 sit down meal. A few shirts and all. We

I always assumed canadiens used......pecos?

Canada uses the Canadian dollar.
Right now, $1USD = 1.32CAD. Yeah, Google!

So $12,000 USD is approximately $9,080 CAD. (The exact rate fluctuates a bit each day.)

On the high end, well....WDW 1 br suites can easily top $1500USD/night at rack rate. (GF 1BR, tops out at $2529 Christmas week).
So sure, on the high end, it is entirely possible, easy even, to spend well over $12,000 for a week at WDW just on one's room, if one wants.

Especially easy if you through in some room service, high end adult beverages, special view spots, private VIP tour guide or extra FP service, private fireworks boat rental, flowers/in-room celebrations, and a few other perks Disney's Signature Services staff will be happy to arrange if you wish to make your WDW stay even more magical.

Oh gosh, have see the new Cherry Lane and couture WDW stuff? There's all kinds of $$$ Jewelry, handbags, cosplay kinda stuff, Disney luggage, art. It would be VERY easy to drop $12,000 at the Wyland Galleries at the Boardwalk hotel.

Give me $12,000 and I'd be happy to demonstrate for you how easily I could spend that amount!

Just for kicks, give me $24,000 and I bet I can easily spend it all in just one Disney World day! Please! :D

MickeyLuv'r

This right here nailed it on the head. Not sure why so many people feel entitled to certain things....a cheap Disney vacation being one of them...
It isn't so much I feel owed a cheap WDW vacation, as much as I feel disappointed when prices skyrocket to the point that I can no longer afford things I have enjoyed doing for oh, like, the last 40 years.

To be honest, the list of things that have been around that long, and that I still wish to do, isn't all that long. I think i'd be upset if felt I could no longer afford grapes though. I mean, grapes often run about $1.50-$2/pound. Last week, when they were $4/pound I didn't buy them. Sure, I could have bought them. I could have bought a 2 pound bag for $8, or even 1/2pound at $2, right?

I didn't.

Today, grapes were on sale for $1/pound! (I bought 3 pounds!)

WDW is a bit the same, to be honest. When prices are too high, we:
A.) stay home
B.) take a shorter trip
C.) go to Universal or a WDW/Uni combo.
D.) go to WDW but go low budget
E. ) visit one of FL's other lovely vacation destinations
F.) some combo of the above options

When fewer people go to WDW, they lower the prices with bigger discounts. WDW's always trying to find the sweet spot. Mind, I'm not saying they will offer any big ones this year, just that rack rates aren't the full story (going back to my earlier post- i. e. the 1st post in the thread was too vague.)

Trackmaster

It isn't so much I feel owed a cheap WDW vacation, as much as I feel disappointed when prices skyrocket to the point that I can no longer afford things I have enjoyed doing for oh, like, the last 40 years.

To be honest, the list of things that have been around that long, and that I still wish to do, isn't all that long. I think i'd be upset if felt I could no longer afford grapes though. I mean, grapes often run about $1.50-$2/pound. Last week, when they were $4/pound I didn't buy them. Sure, I could have bought them. I could have bought a 2 pound bag for $8, or even 1/2pound at $2, right?

I didn't.

Today, grapes were on sale for $1/pound! (I bought 3 pounds!)

WDW is a bit the same, to be honest. When prices are too high, we:
A.) stay home
B.) take a shorter trip
C.) go to Universal or a WDW/Uni combo.
D.) go to WDW but go low budget
E. ) visit one of FL's other lovely vacation destinations
F.) some combo of the above options

When fewer people go to WDW, they lower the prices with bigger discounts. WDW's always trying to find the sweet spot. Mind, I'm not saying they will offer any big ones this year, just that rack rates aren't the full story (going back to my earlier post- i. e. the 1st post in the thread was too vague.)

But both parks work on an economy of scale basis. How would combining the parks save money? That would be a great luxury that would be afforded to families with more money, not less.

rob0519

Is that a deluxe resort? I couldn't spend 12,000 at disney if i tried for 4 of us. We do a moderate resort at most...Maybe 1 sit down meal. A few shirts and all. We have never gone over 5000 and thats just from 2017. We didDLR in 18 Airfare fromOhio is like 200 a person round trip...

I always assumed canadiens used......pecos? I mean they aren't even a real country right?
Actually, yes. It was the GF. We have a family of 5 adults, including a developmentally and physically disabled person so our travel needs are a bit different than a lot of families.

That number included 5 round trip air fares from Chicago, 2 rooms at the GF, a week's SUV rental to handle his wheelchair (we've found that driving to AK, HS, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs, etc. makes for sense for him than the bus), 5 park hoppers and 3 dining plans.

We'll never get it down to $5,000, but I'm negotiating with the family on trying to cut some costs.

Trackmaster

Actually, yes. It was the GF. We have a family of 5 adults, including a developmentally and physically disabled person so our travel needs are a bit different than a lot of families.

That number included 5 round trip air fares from Chicago, 2 rooms at the GF, a week's SUV rental to handle his wheelchair (we've found that driving to AK, HS, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs, etc. makes for sense for him than the bus), 5 park hoppers and 3 dining plans.

We'll never get it down to $5,000, but I'm negotiating with the family on trying to cut some costs.

Not hard to believe at all. Take out $2,000 for the flights (you can get cheap flights, but I assume that you packed a lot, so you weren't flying Frontier or Spirit), that's $10,000. So that's really just $2,000 a person. Way more than I would ever spend, but I know that costs can add up.

Our of curiosity, do you know how much of the $12K went to Disney, and how much went to other companies or other providers (plane tickets, meals off site, etc.)?

rob0519

True to a point. However, Real Estate taxes can and do go up, utilities costs go up, the cost of groceries and clothing goes up. Medical costs for people that need them have gone up significantly more than 3%. I got a 3% raise last year and with the increase in Heath Insurance Premiums, my take home pay actually went down.

EngineerMom

$2,000 for flights is only $400 pp
Not that out of line depending on when.
We had to get our tickets in line with kids school break. I will really enjoy when we can go when we want and not be tied to the school schedule but it is what it is.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This right here nailed it on the head. Not sure why so many people feel entitled to certain things....a cheap Disney vacation being one of them...

Being unhappy that something is expensive (or that it costs more than historic prices dictate that it would or should) isn't an entitlement, and it's silly to imply that it is. Capitalism 101, prices go up at the risk of demand going down.

Chef Mickey

So if something sells out it's not ridiculous or inappropriate? Are you sure about that?
Pretty much. It means the market hasn't punished the higher prices because enough people are willing to pay.

People also don't notice price increases on things like insurance and services for TV, phones, and internet. Prices increase.

Welcome to business. These companies want to get what people will pay and people are still paying at Disney.

Alternative vacation destinations increase too.

Damon7777

Chef, Pretty much anything that can sell out is automatically not ridiculous? Are you serious?

How about the following:
if Disney ordered 500 pieces of Chinese rubber dog dropping out of Hong Kong(yes, I stole phrase from Top Gun) and decided to sell them on Main St and out of the 20 million or so visitors Disney somehow was able to sell out the entire stock of 500 units, that is not ridiculous to you?

Last edited:

EngineerMom

Oh and the comment go to Universal instead. We find Universal just as expensive but again it depends on what you choose. We stay at one of the 3 most expensive on site hotels to get the express pass.
Since it’s not a villa like DVC where we stay at Disney we have to eat all our meals out.
No magic express so we have to get a car because 4 people on the shuttle is even more

It is expensive but I know it is all our own choices and we could choose to make different choices.
We like to vacation. We drive older cars. Have very limited cell phone plans, etc.
Those are our choices. Not better or worse than others

aliceismad

So anything that can sell out is automatically not ridiculous? Are you serious?
Ridiculous is a matter of perspective. It only matters if it's ridiculous to the majority of consumers going to WDW, thus making the powers that be unlikely to continuing implementing the ridiculous thing. If something sells out, you may deem the item (or the selling out) ridiculous in your eyes, but clearly it still has value to those buying.

righttrack

Your entertainment is paid for with a trip to WDW. Once you add in all you would spend, for example, on a trip to NYC or Miami or Los Angeles, you'd see where this will go. 4k isn't that much of a budget to work with if you are looking for a direct replacement for WDW. We rent a home on the cape for that and get zip, nada, nothing with it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom