Prices for a family of four

disneyfireman

I'm choosing to pay the prices Disney is asking for. Its not a hostage situation. I am not a victim.
Exactly. No one in a free society is victim of anything. We all have choices. And if folks think WDW / DLR is too $$ then stay home or go to your local fair or whatever is cheap.
Just stay away and let someone else fill your void. Because they always will. It’s a sad state of affairs when people complain about a vacation cost. Talk about a first world problem. Work to play. Best advice I ever got. Want to play more? Work more.

Joebradley62

That's a cheap trip for a family of 4. Have you priced out other comparable destinations?

Camping and the local zoo are not a comparable vacations, or even vacations.

We've been over this time and time again, but the bottom line is your per hour of entertainment value is very reasonable at Disney.

You are also not owed a trip to Disney, things cost money, and if you're unhappy with your financial situation, change it. You are the CEO of your own life and have limitless opportunity.

These kinds of posts really beat me down. I mean, what do you want? Disney is already packed with current pricing. Should they lower pricing? Business exists to make money, not to be some charitable entity for your enjoyment. I want an Aventador, but they are a little expensive. I'm not complaining to Lamborghini that their pricing isn't fair.

And the "Disney for everyone" argument is so tired. Walt was a business guy too. He wasn't running a charity operation. The spirit of that statement was that anyone was welcome in his parks and it was a place for families to spend time together. He didn't mean it should cost X dollars and no more.
People like to invent the Walt of their choice. Many see him as this benevolent man who only wanted to entertain us. That was true to a point but it was always a business. From his first drawings he wanted to make a living. The company has a duty to stockholders, that is how it works.

Shouldigo12

If you want bring politics into a discussion, go to the politics forum. It exists for a very good reason (that is, people can't talk politics without it turning into a dumpster fire).

Joebradley62

The point is that it's about "value". People find value in different ways. You find value in sleeping in the forest, me?? you could not Pay me to do that. ever. it has no value to me so any amount of money I spend on that would be wasted.

It's not about "class" system. Disney NEVER was a place where everyone could afford to go. Now I don't really consider going to the zoo as a vacation (It's more of a day outing to me, but I do get your drift.)

And again, I have had years when my budget said nope, no vacation this year. everyone does. that's real life.
As a kid I wanted to go to the brand new magic Kingdom in Orlando. It was never going to happen. 29 bucks for a hotel room at the Contemporary was outrageous. Tickets were very expensive. Now I can afford it so I do.

Joebradley62

Different strokes for different folks indeed. Disney offers shows and animals and foliage, so if people don't like those things, clearly they're going to be less interested in AK. Or HS, with all its shows. Some people don't like walking WS or taking a boat to see plants, so maybe Epcot isn't for them. If someone is just interested in the rides, maybe MK or a different brand altogether is the best place for them. One of the great things about WDW is that there is so much variety. For me, the theming and attention to detail are a big reason why I would put up the cash to go to WDW. Rides are secondary at best. We're all consumers, so Disney has to convince us all to buy.
If you just want to ride rides there are plenty of alternatives to WDW.

aliceismad

It depends, a trendy restaurant that is a "must eat at" the people will still go, regardless of price hikes. The problem with this is that when you aren't the hip and trendy thing anymore, a lot of times it means game over for the business. Disney is riding this strategy right now. They have a product that obviously has a crazy demand right now. And since it's a trendy "must do" thing, they are going to push pricing until it breaks. What happens after? Who knows. You push too many people away, a lot might not come back.
Just like any other business, Disney needs to keep shareholders happy and stock prices up. That's the reality of the American economy at the moment. When (If) the demand for Disney goes down, they'll need to make adjustments to make their goals. I really don't think Disney is doing anything different than any other company. If they push away some former customers, they've always got new generations and an increasing population (including global markets) to target.

Even if something culture-shifting happens and drives the theme-park industry toward obsolescence, Disney is such a unique entity that I think it would be among the last surviving theme parks. (And as long as people keep taking they're children, the nostalgia alone will draw people there.)

Chef Mickey

People like to invent the Walt of their choice. Many see him as this benevolent man who only wanted to entertain us. That was true to a point but it was always a business. From his first drawings he wanted to make a living. The company has a duty to stockholders, that is how it works.
Agreed. Walt was a ferocious businessman. His "park for everyone" was simply an invitation for all to come, as long as you had the money.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Agreed. Walt was a ferocious businessman. His "park for everyone" was simply an invitation for all to come, as long as you had the money.

It's probably a topic for a new thread, but I'm not sure I'd agree that he was a ferocious businessman, he drove the company nearly to bankruptcy multiple times and managed to lose Oswald pretty quickly before creating Mickey .. which could be argued was a rip-off of Oswald. As were several other properties they capitalized on. He even managed to drive his artists to strike due to poor working conditions. Roy's the only reason they succeeded, in my opinion.

MickeyLuv'r

But both parks work on an economy of scale basis. How would combining the parks save money? That would be a great luxury that would be afforded to families with more money, not less.

One option is to get an annual pass, especially in the case of Universal. In order to make it work, if you only go about once a year is to go say, May 7-14 in 2019, then go like May 1-7 in 2020. Get the 2nd trip in just before your AP expires.

The wisdom of the AP/Membership:
In some cases, if a family is borderline, then the way to make it work is to only buy a single AP. A single AP =rooms at the AP rate. The AP holder also gets other perks, which can offset the cost of the AP. Often there's % off: dining, shopping, free parking, and WDW AP's now = MemoryMaker.

Personally, I skip Memory Maker to save $, but some folks love it so much that they wouldn't go to WDW without it. If your family buys Memory Maker, then one could also see that as $169/199 towards the cost of an AP.

A new WDW AP = $952. Two 7 day non-hoppers = about $940 (dep on date, $864-$1014), memory maker=$169, parking at parks is $25/day.

With just a single 7-day visit, a ticket can be $507+MM $169 +parking $175= only $101 more than a park ticket, and that number goes lower with any use of the 10% food discount. So just there, an AP comes pretty close to being the same $ as not getting an AP, even if you aren't sure about the return trip.

Another factor is the AP hotel discount. AP discount is often 5% above most discounts offered. If I look at 4/7-4/15 at AS Sports with the Gift of Magic rate of $167 vs. AP rate $139 (incl tax). For a week, AP = $196/week discount. $952 -$507 - $169 - $196 = a difference of just $80. Again, add in the dining 10%, and it isn't hard to come out slightly ahead. Every time your family of 4 (2 adults, 1 jr, 1 child) eats at a place like 1900 park Faire or 'Ohana, that 10% discount = about $15 savings. ($80/$15 = about 5 meals)

A Universal Power Pass is even easier to justify. A preferred 2-park pass, is currently valid for 18months ((they also offer a lower cost Power Pass, and a even lower seasonal pass, both w/some blockout dates). A preferred pass incl tax is $421, includes free parking, and pretty much 10% off almost all food and merchandise . A 2-park hopper is $314, so an AP is just $107 over the prices of a park ticket. Park at Universal 3 days, and eat one TS, and you've broken even on an AP. This isn't even factoring in possible AP room discounts.

So...one way a split trip makes sense is if you happen to have an AP for one (WDW orUS) but not the other, esp. if it is an expiring AP, or you have the low cost AP, and your trip overlaps a black out period.

Like I said originally, tell me more. If I buy an AP for a one week trip this year, I can make a return low-cost trip inside of a year for very little, esp if I stay at a low$ offsite place that has free breakfast, bring a couple boxes of granola bars, and mostly drink water with meals.

Dave B

Read and article if you go budget all the way, least expensive "All Stars Resort", no sit down meals, you will spend on average $4000.00 Canadian, and if you upscale get a dining package, moderate hotels it can cost up to $10,000 Canadian for a Disney Vacation.

Weird that so many people have that much disposable income.
Nobody has a problem with the price of a Disney Vacation ?
It is very hard to answer this question without knowing how many days you are wanting to go? Also what is the conversion rate? $4000 Canadian equals $??? US, I ask because we are looking at the PoP, family of 4, for September 7 days/6 nights and we can do it for =$2400 with NO dining plan

Trackmaster

One option is to get an annual pass, especially in the case of Universal. In order to make it work, if you only go about once a year is to go say, May 7-14 in 2019, then go like May 1-7 in 2020. Get the 2nd trip in just before your AP expires.

The wisdom of the AP/Membership:
In some cases, if a family is borderline, then the way to make it work is to only buy a single AP. A single AP =rooms at the AP rate. The AP holder also gets other perks, which can offset the cost of the AP. Often there's % off: dining, shopping, free parking, and WDW AP's now = MemoryMaker.

Personally, I skip Memory Maker to save $, but some folks love it so much that they wouldn't go to WDW without it. If your family buys Memory Maker, then one could also see that as $169/199 towards the cost of an AP.

A new WDW AP = $952. Two 7 day non-hoppers = about $940 (dep on date, $864-$1014), memory maker=$169, parking at parks is $25/day.

With just a single 7-day visit, a ticket can be $507+MM $169 +parking $175= only $101 more than a park ticket, and that number goes lower with any use of the 10% food discount. So just there, an AP comes pretty close to being the same $ as not getting an AP, even if you aren't sure about the return trip.

Another factor is the AP hotel discount. AP discount is often 5% above most discounts offered. If I look at 4/7-4/15 at AS Sports with the Gift of Magic rate of $167 vs. AP rate $139 (incl tax). For a week, AP = $196/week discount. $952 -$507 - $169 - $196 = a difference of just $80. Again, add in the dining 10%, and it isn't hard to come out slightly ahead. Every time your family of 4 (2 adults, 1 jr, 1 child) eats at a place like 1900 park Faire or 'Ohana, that 10% discount = about $15 savings. ($80/$15 = about 5 meals)

A Universal Power Pass is even easier to justify. A preferred 2-park pass, is currently valid for 18months ((they also offer a lower cost Power Pass, and a even lower seasonal pass, both w/some blockout dates). A preferred pass incl tax is $421, includes free parking, and pretty much 10% off almost all food and merchandise . A 2-park hopper is $314, so an AP is just $107 over the prices of a park ticket. Park at Universal 3 days, and eat one TS, and you've broken even on an AP. This isn't even factoring in possible AP room discounts.

So...one way a split trip makes sense is if you happen to have an AP for one (WDW orUS) but not the other, esp. if it is an expiring AP, or you have the low cost AP, and your trip overlaps a black out period.

Like I said originally, tell me more. If I buy an AP for a one week trip this year, I can make a return low-cost trip inside of a year for very little, esp if I stay at a low$ offsite place that has free breakfast, bring a couple boxes of granola bars, and mostly drink water with meals.

I don't see how this was a response to my message. My point is that you don't save money but going to both chains. You would save money by sticking to one chain.

Bpmorley

Read and article if you go budget all the way, least expensive "All Stars Resort", no sit down meals, you will spend on average $4000.00 Canadian, and if you upscale get a dining package, moderate hotels it can cost up to $10,000 Canadian for a Disney Vacation.

Weird that so many people have that much disposable income.
Nobody has a problem with the price of a Disney Vacation ?
We do. No more parks after our NE tickets run out. Unless they give DVC another special AP.

Dave B

well we are staying at pop 7 nights, 6 day hoppers, meal plan and photo pass, supposedly also a room discount $4800 for 2 adults and a 10 year old. That's not including airfare.
3 years ago same exact vacation only at a moderate resort instead of economy and the water park add on, Also with a 10 year old same week was $3800.
6 years ago same exact vacation but at Port Orleans with water parks with son who was 16 at the time was $3200.
So in both previous trips we had better lodging and water parks for much less. I understand costs to up but costs don't go up that fast elsewhere. I realize it's a choice and I do love it but it's becoming too much. I couldn't believe the prices this time for a freaking economy motel! Uhg! My salary can only go up a max 3% a year so I can't keep up with this anymore.
Something is not right there, unless you are going at a VERY popular time, maybe? We booked Sept 18-24, 2 adults and 2 kids, so 7 days and 6 nights, with Park Hopper and regular dining plan(free dining) for $3100, we upgraded to Disney dining plan with TS and we are paying $3600, I also ran the numbers and if we did the room only discount, no park hopper, and no dining plan was only $2500, not sure where you are booking, but maybe it is the dates?

Dave B

We have a serious problem with it. The prices overall at WDW have escalated sharply over the last several years We went from 7-8 days every year to 5-6 days every other year to not going at all since 2015. It's a totally financial decision. When the totally cost of 6 days, including air fare for 5 topped $12,000 we had to say no more. We would all love to go back, but have no interest in doing WDW "budget all the way" at this stage in our lives.
You had to be staying at a Deluxe resort?

Shouldigo12

Something is not right there, unless you are going at a VERY popular time, maybe? We booked Sept 18-24, 2 adults and 2 kids, so 7 days and 6 nights, with Park Hopper and regular dining plan(free dining) for $3100, we upgraded to Disney dining plan with TS and we are paying $3600, I also ran the numbers and if we did the room only discount, no park hopper, and no dining plan was only $2500, not sure where you are booking, but maybe it is the dates?
The regular dining plan already does include TS. Do you mean you upgraded from the QS dining plan to regular?

disneyfireman

You had to be staying at a Deluxe resort?
Agreed, We have never paid more than 3000 -3500 for a week at WDW..or DLR( we stay off property at DLR) We do the Values, a lot of counter service meals. We don't do dining plan. We always use the 20% off codes. Then some spending cash. WDW or DLR can be done very economically. You just have to know how to do it. And not expect to stay at a deluxe. Which is of course 110% unnecessary unless you have the cash and its not an issue. We always go 1st week of May.
But we have NO issues with the price of a disney vacation. It is what it is.. Got to pay to go...nothing that nice is cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom