Price increases in effect today

Ismael Flores

they really need to add a Senior citizen ticket. My parents would love to go to the parks but refuse to let us pay the high prices for them. The reason for that is because they are in their 90's and say that they will most likely not get on anything but instead enjoy the ambience and people watch.

Phroobar

I have small children and I like to relax when I'm on vacation. I wouldn't be spending eight FULL days in the parks, but I might spend two full days, three half days, and three days where I only pop in for an hour or two, maybe for a meal, parade, or fireworks.
If you are flying from NY to LA and staying in the Grand California for eight days I really don't think your going to mind the difference between buying a five day park hopper and a three day park hopper vs a what a theoretical eight day park hopper would cost. You would be better off with an annual pass.

By the way, can you adopt me?

PiratesMansion

Would you though? It's a pretty steep jump from a 5 day ticket to an AP. It's not worth it if you can't make it back within the year.

No, but it's not my logic. In fairness, if was a SoCal local and I could qualify for one of the lower priced passes it might change the argument.

But my honest take on the number of days conversation is that I personally cannot do five full days. It's really more of a four full days with one day where I mostly relax and pop in for a few hours to do a few things. Unless you have exceptional circumstances, I really don't understand any situation where five days is not enough, unless you're local, at which point you should get an AP.

If you have more than five days to give to a vacation, you'll honestly have a more fulfilling time if you take advantage of the mountain of things to do in OC, LA, or SD in addition to any time spent at the parks. Just my take.

CaptainAmerica

$175 difference would be one meal difference. Why cheap out when your spending over ten thousand dollars on this.
You gotta make some CM friends and get that sweet sweet Friends & Family discount.

If you have more than five days to give to a vacation, you'll honestly have a more fulfilling time if you take advantage of the mountain of things to do in OC, LA, or SD in addition to any time spent at the parks. Just my take.
I like the bubble on my Disney vacations. We do camping and other non-Disney trips but I prefer my Disney trips to be Disney only.

drizgirl

No, but it's not my logic. In fairness, if was a SoCal local and I could qualify for one of the lower priced passes it might change the argument.

But my honest take on the number of days conversation is that I personally cannot do five full days. It's really more of a four full days with one day where I mostly relax and pop in for a few hours to do a few things. Unless you have exceptional circumstances, I really don't understand any situation where five days is not enough, unless you're local, at which point you should get an AP.

That's really just a matter of personal preference. We've done 5 many times and felt like we'd like a couple more, just for arrival and departure day, then maybe a short day in the middle just to pop in for lunch or a show. So we can take our time.

PiratesMansion

I like the bubble on my Disney vacations. We do camping and other non-Disney trips but I prefer my Disney trips to be Disney only.

I mean, your vacation is your vacation, but I think the Disney Bubble and Disney-only trips have very little applicability outside of Florida.

Once you're out of Orlando, for me that becomes a square peg in a round hole. As much as I love Disneyland, my trips have gotten a lot more interesting since they've become a mix of Disneyland and other things. There's certainly no shortage of other things to do in the area with children. In fairness, things are spread out, traveling with kids can be inherently complicated, and it did take me a few trips to get to the point where I was willing and able to branch out, but I would strongly recommend it. It'd certainly be cheaper (MUCH, much cheaper) than buying more Disney tickets or an AP.

Phroobar

I mean, your vacation is your vacation, but I think the Disney Bubble and Disney-only trips have very little applicability outside of Florida.

Once you're out of Orlando, for me that becomes a square peg in a round hole. As much as I love Disneyland, my trips have gotten a lot more interesting since they've become a mix of Disneyland and other things. There's certainly no shortage of other things to do in the area with children. In fairness, things are spread out, traveling with kids can be inherently complicated, and it did take me a few trips to get to the point where I was willing and able to branch out, but I would strongly recommend it. It'd certainly be cheaper (MUCH, much cheaper) than buying more Disney tickets or an AP.
That is so true. There are so many other things to do in southern California that spending a week with the mouse is stupid and extremely expensive. In Florida there isn't much else to do outside of theme parks or visiting retirement villages.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm sorry but I have to ask: how is it possible to spend eight days in the parks?

My mind reels. I think I would get cabin fever if I were kept inside that 450 acre block for so long.

I’ve spent a week at Disneyland 2 times in the same year (Christmas and the following summer for Star Wars open) - both trips I had planned to take a side trip to Knotts, or into LA, or ride the train from Anaheim down to San Diego for the lovely views of the pacific coast. But when you wake up with an annual pass in your wallet and Disney is across the street, it’s pretty easy to go to the parks!

I take time and enjoy the hotels. Phat Cat swinger played that weekend at downtown Disney and the Saturday night swing concert... things you don’t have time to stop and enjoy if you are just in the park for 1 or 1.5 days.

shambolicdefending

Here's what a prospective Disneyland vacation looks like to a family coming from out of state this year.

Park Tickets:
$310 for a 3-day Pass x 4 = $1,240
**If you decide to use MaxPass, that will add an additional $80 per day, for a max total of $240
**If you decide to get park-hoppers, that will add a total of $210

So, your total for admission and any extras is between $1,240 to $1,690.

This is before any costs are added for food, travel, lodging, parking, etc. Your true total is quite likely double that, and potentially more. All for a total of three days.

If you're a local (especially an AP), consider how much pressure you would feel to plan, prepare, and maximize every minute you have inside the parks if you were paying that much for such a comparatively short length of time. Even if you have the good fortune to avoid unusually crowded days, it's going to take an awful lot of work to get your money's worth.

The daily Hunger Games for RotR boarding groups is just a mild taste of what out-of-state visitors have been feeling about the Disneyland experience for several years now.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

After five days at Disneyland, I’m fully satisfied but I COULD stay longer. Kids slow us down, and I like to take it slow. We don’t just hop from E-ticket to E-ticket. We’ll spend an hour at the Redwood Creek area, an hour on Tom Sawyer Island, re-ride Pirates of the Caribbean four times, ride the railroad a few times, sit and enjoy a meal for awhile... the time adds up. I guess these experiences get old if you’re a local, but that isn’t my situation.

I agree with @CaptainAmerica. Disneyland has nearly just as many attractions to experience as Disney World. People just watch commercials and see a big castle and think Disney World must be superior by default.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom